Your Gaming Group's Jargon

winterhawk

Re: Your Gaming Group's Jargon

"Humans" = Many, numerous.

This was taken from the Starcraft game, where humans usually outnumbered the alien races, a reversal of the usual "humans surrounded by aliens" topic.

Examples:

"... and suddenly thirty-two Viper agents swarm out." "They're like humans!" (meaning: "There's too many of them!").

Sometimes it gets used as a war-cry when the party is faced with a single, powerful opponent. "Humaaaans!" (meaning: "Let's win through superior numbers").

"Dune Buggy" = A large brawl.

Taken from an old comedy movie, "Dune Buggy" was the tune of the ending scene, a large fistfight. Usually sung when the group is losing, but is having fun.

"Fell from his horse" = Used when a character's player is absent.

Taken from an old incident with a bad GM. The GM had to make up an exscuse for a PC not being there during a game session and he said the character "fell from his horse" while the group was travelling and nobody noticed...

"Blown by a sandstorm" = Used when a character's player is absent.

Same GM, even worse instance. The group was travelling through a desert when a magically powerful storm broke. The PCs tied themselves to a large rock to avoid being swept away by the storm. A character's player was absent and the GM ruled the character "had been blown away by the sandstorm" since "nobody remembered to tie him too".

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RLAMF - Run Like A Mother F**ker. The expanded form got genericized to [Verb] Like A Mother F**ker.

"Meat Products!" - Usually referred to gore and/or mooks. I think it came out of the old Smash TV game.

Guest Worldmaker

A Jack Power is any power that's been taken to its logical (yet still campaign legal) conclusion. So-named because of my tendency to grab a particular power in my teeth and run for the border with it.

Examples: I can't have an character who's hard to hurt... I have to build a guy who's so well defended that he may as well be totally invulnerable. And I can't have a guy who duplicates... I have to have a guy who can duplicate into half-a-million individuals.

"Wookie Sleeping Sickness" - Taken from a SW game where the player playing the Wookie was constantly falling asleep, this now notes any player that falls asleep at any poiny during the game. This is what I get for running games late ;)

“Blart†– I’m not repeating the information, so now your character knows it too. (see aforementioned ‘Blah,’ ‘Brain Dump,’ or ‘Recap Button.’)

“I point my paladin at it!†– This big huge super beasty is going to eat us…you go first. An actual line from old DnD game by thief who used to hide behind the paladin quite a bit, especially when undead were involved.

“A Logan Dungeon†– Refers to a setting with a lot of deathtraps (where stupid players not paying attention to details quickly lose limbs…and bitch about it for years!!!) And yes, I’m Logan. I'm not bitter though.

“It’s Friday.†– Universal response to the question ‘What time/day/month/year is it?’

“You’re pissing on an armadillo.†– Long ago it seemed that every DnD game started with ‘You’re in a tavern.’ One GM I played with a long time ago wanted to be different and just blurted this out as the beginning to one adventure, and it stuck.

I know there's more, but I'll have to think on it a bit.

Among the groups I have played with there has been quite a bit of jargon but the three that I find most memorable are:

"I see the king of the potato people." - Standard statement by a player who has just completely blown his perception roll.

"Tuesdayed" - Our groups term for being knocked way unconscious. It began with "He'll be out until next Tuesday." and gradually morphed to "He's been Tuesdayed."

"Stuka" - named after the German WWII dive bomber. Source is a wargame (World in Flames I think) where every turn the German player got to attack Russian sites with his Stuka bombers and the Russians could do nothing in response. Now any character who is designed to allow him to attack with no reasonable chance of the enemy striking back (Blaster with Telescopic Vision and No Range Penalty on his attacks, Tunnelling Mentalist with N-Ray Vision, Invisible Teleporting Martial Artist etc.) is called a Stuka and treated with justifiable disdain.

"[he/she] is on a Deep Space Mission"

Used to explain why super PC is not there for session. Culled from the annoying habit pre-Crisis DC had of explaining why Superman didn't just fly in and wreck the plot.

"Bob, hand me your gun"

Used whenever a flunky really screws up. From the first Batman movie.

"I'm gonna bite it!"

An empty threat. Used by a character trying to convince others he had a destruct mechanism built into his tongue. Oddly enough, this was the same encounter where said character "went English".

Keith "more as I think of them" Curtis

We have a few also. Some named, oddly enough, after the Players/GMs:

"Mitzie Meat-Grinder" A campaign that is extremely lethal, particularlly to ME!

"SICK!" Any PC with a truly gross power.

"It's a Karl-Villain" Any NPC built by my brother, which, when presented in the game, tends to elicit groans of woe from every Player in the group because we know our butts are about to be trounced

"Boned the Roll" A really bad roll

"Pulled a Dez" Taking several hits and getting plinked down to merely one or two STUN

"Pulled a Rod" Doing an action that, in retrospect, was really, really stupid

"Sub-basement of Solitude" Refers to any private, PC base

"Drop the Bomb, Tom" Using a brute-strength action when finesse is required

"Thumping the Dice", "Taking out the Agents", and "Target Practice" Bouncing your dice clear across the table

"Make a spot check!" or "Make a listen check!" Dammit, I meant a Perception Roll!

"You poor bastard!" Singling out one agent and picking on him

I'll post again when I remember more.

Mags

CAG: Curse and growl

MAG: Moan and groan

CAM: Curse and growl and moan and groan

L-FOG T-FOOT W: Lead, follow, or get the flark out of the way.

"Zow!" A lame attack. Pulled from a D&D game when a cleric was going to turn undead. The player, to announce his attack, said "Zow!"

"Just don't drop the truck". Indicates a task so easy that only a critical failure could fail. Arose when a brick wanted to drop a truck on a prone villian in a nearby hex. When asked what he needed to roll, the GM said, "Just don't drop the truck." Of course he rolled an 18 and dropped the truck. This is especially confusing to new players in a D&D game. :-)

"Pinged". A completely ineffective attack. "It pings off me."

Goodness...when I saw the title of this thread, I was sure I could come up with a ton of them my various groups have used over the years, but now I'm suddenly coming up nearly dry. Performance anxiety, maybe? Well, here are a few I can think of:

"It's a Sentinel solution" / "Tonight the part of Sentinel will be played by..." -- In our current Champions game, the character of Sentinel is a powered-armor wearer, but it's a suit of alien power armor and he has no idea how it works, and it's a good thing it repairs itself. He has the lowest INT score of the group, by far. That's not saying he's dumb (he has an INT of 12) it's just that everyone else has really high INTs. In any case, when we're confronted with some apparently throny dilema, what usually happens is that we high-INT types are debating about how to handle something when Sentinel says, "Guys, why don't we just..." and points out a perfectly simple and logical (yet ususally non-obvious) common-sense solution. This means that any common-sense but non-ovbious solution is a "Sentinel solution" and that if anyone other than Sentinel comes up with such an idea, he gets the "Tonight the part of Sentinel will be played by..." comment. (And we use this in real life situations, too.)

The latest example of a "Sentinel solution": my character (Dr. Anomaly) gives our team brick (Balrog, a stone gargoyle) a glass vial full of a strength-enhancing oil while we're preparing for some expected nastiness at a science expo. I tell him to be careful and to keep it on him at all times. Balrog looks at the (to him) tiny vial and says "Doctor, I don't have any pockets." Sentinel: "No problem! We've got duct tape..."

"Shake, pull pin, and throw" -- also called the "fizzy cat" manuever. One of the PCs, Scarab, is a multiformer with a bunch of Egyptian-avatar theme forms; one of these is of Sekmet, the cat-affinity goddess of combat. Sekmet has a short temper and is easily bored, so usually isn't "let out" by Scarab unless there's a fight in progress. We've found it's often to our advantage to get Sekmet really riled up before turning her lose on the opposition (for some reason, the dice seem to roll better for the player if Sekmet is p.o.'d). Since upsetting Sekmet is a hazard to life and limb, the usual joke is that Balrog (the team brick) would pick Sekmet up, shake her like a can of carbonated beverage (taking her to the point of explosion), and throw her at what we wanted to cease to exist. This has been shortened to the "fizzy cat" or "fizzy kitty" manuever.

"Pull a Jean-Luc" -- one of my characters in an Amber campaign was named Jean-Luc, so called because the character was the child of another long-running PC character, said PC being a fan of Next Generation. Though Jean-Luc had a buttload of "Good Stuff" (luck) he had the most astonishing ability to turn any situation into horrible bad luck for himself and/or the other PCs just by opening his mouth and making an innocuous-sounding comment. It got so bad that whenever the party was about to begin talking/negotiating with someone of importance, another party member would automatically slap their hand over Jean-Luc's mouth, or, in extreme circumstances, there'd be a dogpile of two or three PCs on Jean-Luc while the remaing PC did the talking. It was said about Jean-Luc that "he's living proof that sufficiently good role-playing can overcome any amount of good luck." Someone saying somthing innocuous yet incredibly stupid (for the situation) that resulted in disasterous consequences came to be known as "pulling a Jean-Luc".

"Well, we do or we don't. Which is it?" -- This is a shortened form of a mini-speech that one of my less patient and more avid role-players was known for. It was inevitably delivered immediately following a situation that ended with me saying some version of "And you all lose conciousness." The full speech was, "Well, either we wake up or we don't. If we wake up, you'd better get busy telling us what we see. If we don't, let us know now so we can start making new characters! Which is it?"

"When last we left our intrepid heroes..." -- this is the phrase that says gaming will now commence, shut up your yakking and let's play!

"Carpe GM" -- usually directed at me, most often after I say "...and that's where we'll have to leave it for tonight." Frequently followed by detailed threats of bodily injury if I don't relent and continue "just a little longer."

"Don't Suavo my dice!!" -- there's a guy in our circle of friends who is famous for his bad luck with dice, regardless of the game...everyone calls him Suavo. (This got started a looooooong time back because people were constantly mispronouncing his Eastern European last name. One day someone really mangled it and pronounced it as "Suavo", to which 'Suavo' said "Okay, okay...just call me that. At least you can pronounce it", and it stuck.)

"It broke." -- used to reference the occurance of something that simply cannot fail...failing. It comes from the opening scene of Disney's Aladdin: "See? It will not break! It will not...uh...it broke..."

"I'm going to fall to my imminent stun" - Started by Sam Bell when one of his character's fell off a roof and one of the other players insisted that they save her. It was maybe a 5" fall.

We started using that whenever a brick fell out of a plane, etc... No chance of injury beyond Stun usually.

Speaking of polar bears

An old member of our group relayed a story in which some freinds were discussing polar bears, but then the topic driften onto other things (as most conversations do) but one guy had been itching to say something, so when he finally got a chance to say something, he said "Speaking of polar bears..." So now, that is the phrase used whenever someone wishes to resurrect a "dead" topic.

Preemptive retaliatory first strike

From a Shaodwrun game I once ran where the players were not runners, but anti-corporate terrorists. In press releases, they described all of their actions this way. "The Corps are evil, and if they were given the chance, they would strike against us for our beliefs, so this action is in revenge for the attack they would have launched had we not done so first." It was a wierd group...

The Colletti Maneuver

In a Star Wars campaign, the party was a group of privateers for the Alliance. Naturally, they very often found themselves being chased by the Empire. The first time they had a Star Destroyer on their tail, the pilot (whose character's name was Frank Colletti) burned a Force Point on his piloting check to evade enemy fire. He described it as "I'm going at full throttle while spinning the steering wheel as hard as I can!" From that day forward, anybody who used a Force Point to dodge, run or evade was said to be doing "The Colletti Maneuver"

Everything's under control

You would think that these would be famous last words. But if the group had split up, and one group ran into difficulty, no matter how bad the situation had gotten, if the other half of the party asked if they were OK and/or needed help, so long as the answer was "Everything's under control!" they always managed to get out of it without help. It became a mantra every time the group ran into trouble.

"Meanwhile back in {name of city}..." catch phrase used by a player when they've decided that the "little bit" of goofing around has gone too far and we need to start playing again before the GM gets too mad.

Doc

Brain Fart - when someone rolls a '1' in d20 or an '18' in Hero on any perception roll or Int check.

Suicide Die - As in "That's a Suicide Die" when the dice roll off the table or other rolling surface. One player's dice are so bad the GM bought her a basket with 3 inch high sides to roll in.

But Anyway - when the game driffs off topic and it has to be forcefully pulled back on treack.

I use my RLB skill - (Run Like a B**ch) used when the player thinks the odds are way over the top against them.

"On X I go Ack!" - After being KO'ed or dropped to below 0 in D20. When your initiative comes up, we say this.

"Shunned!" Used when someone's used a bad (and usually innuendo-laden) pun. Has gradually been expanded to "To the Sofa of Shunned!" - so we can gather all our Bad Players in one place, and "Get Thee To a Shunnery!"

"You've broken Duncan!" One of our players can actually be rendered helpless by laughter in the right circumstances. This is what we say when we do.

"Sheep" - rolling really well.

This came about when I was playing a Traveller navigator character of mine that had more luck with the NPC ladies than at navigation rolls. So one evening, I would start chanting his NPC girlfriend's name before making every nav roll. Sure enough the dice would roll really well (10+ on 2d6) every time I did that.

Well, the GM had enough and decided to show me, so he started mimicking my voice and chanting, "sheep, sheep," then threw the dice. Boxcars! He still hasn't lived it down and the "sheep" jargon isn't helping him. :winkgrin:

K.

"Disarm Audie" a GM plot to do something devilish to a PC. Orginally coined by Scott Shenold in reference to a player in our shortlived but very regular co-gming duties.

"Back to Fantasy" When the tangents have gotten out of hand.

Hawksmoor

-I guess I am just not that witty.

Only one I can remember off the top of my head is:

Tight Beam- telepathy-like communication between party members who have innate radio transmission and perception. Comes up alot because for my character, Microman II, radio communication comes as naturally as audio communication, and about half the team has the capability.