Your Gaming Group's Jargon

winterhawk

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your Gaming Group's Jargon

Dead Stick - threating a someon with a weapon, that later turns out to be unloaded. Props go when the player acutally loads the weapon in front of the NPC he just intimitated.

Eagle - Disgustingly large hand gun (ie Desert Eagle)

Bogie - Shooting someone with an Eagle

Toaster - Used to describe a female with so much cybernetics, well :D

Phillip - See toaster, but a male

Packing for Phillip - carrying enough ammo to take down a Phillip (which is usually a lot)

"Does not even have bread", "No Bread?" - refers to a character who has ill fortune with women

Tithing - everyone in the group ponying up to get a player resurrected

Pennance - looting a character not receiving the benefit of a Tithe

Neon Noodle - Referenced an electric/light based super hero. First hero who had it was about as bright as a 5 watt bulb. It simply stuck afterwards. (You get a no-prize if you know where the Neon Noodle originally appeared)

Weeding, Weeding the Yard - using supressive fire with a weapon that has a large ammo capacity and a disgusting rate of fire to blow the huge amount of ammo in very short order. Usually refers to a mini-gun of some kind.

Lightsaber - using a mix of rounds that has a high concentration of incenderies, "You got a lightsaber there?"

Letterbox - A GM storytelling mechanic' date=' adopted from games like Metal Gear, where the PCs are unable to take action until the end of a narrative by the GM. Not entirely fair, of course, but generally put to good use for moving a plot along.[/quote']

We call that a "Cutscene."

There's also "You can't die in a cutscene," used ironically because, in fact, there are some ways you can die in a cutscene. It just takes a bewildering amount of idiocy to do so (he says, embarrassed). :o

Generally, when a character or player is acting up during a cutscene, the GM will warn him with a stern "You can't die in a cutscene." Meaning that if the character keeps fooling around, he may discover a new way to die. ;)

There's also "You can't die in a cutscene," used ironically because, in fact, there are some ways you can die in a cutscene. It just takes a bewildering amount of idiocy to do so (he says, embarrassed). :o

In your defense, that wasn't entirely your fault. I guess I told you wrong.

How was I supposed to know that the fire really was hot? :P

Have you mentioned our "Win By ##" that we picked up from one of your convention games? Or how about "Marklew Damage"? (Sorry, forgot how to spell that character's name...)

Lonewalker

I'm using the "letterbox" concept. I'll probably call it something else. I need something to prevent...

GM: Standing before you is Doctor Destroyer. He says...

PC1: CALLED SHOT TO THE HEAD!

PC2: Feeling a little Jolly, are we?

Hm. Could you not use Presence Attacks instead? All you need is the "hesitate" effect, and he's got enough time to monologue...

Squicked, "Squicking the roll": Utterly blowing the 3d6 roll, but getting a great damage result.

Named for the current lead member of the Milwaukee Masks, who spent the entire first battle rolling great damage (mid-40's on 10d6!!!), but constantly missing the Big Freakin' Dragon (and VIPER agents) he was aiming at.

"Halt! Or I shall whiff mightily in your general direction!": See "Squicked" - a quote from that first battle.

Forgot one.

"And Cap whispers to the Emperor...": More of a personal bit of jargon, since most people look at me weirdly when I say it. Used whenever you (and the party) are doing something that *seems* like the right thing to do, but there's a blatantly obvious bit of casting/detail work that nobody else paid attention to that says you're just as obviously on the wrong side. Referencing the idea that if you're on the other side of a fight from Captain America, You're On The Wrong Side.

Hm. Could you not use Presence Attacks instead? All you need is the "hesitate" effect' date=' and he's got enough time to monologue...[/quote']

But the monologue was the presense attack... I suppose I could roll the attack first, then do the monologue... or actually, roll the presense attack, announce the effect, announce Dr. Destroyers appearance, then do the monologue.

Lets see... Dr. D has a base CV of 10. A called shot to the head is at -8 OCV. I be thinking the good doctor isn't in much danger.

He also has something like 40pd fully resistant. He's not taking much damage on the unlikely occurrance that he's actually hit.

In your defense, that wasn't entirely your fault. I guess I told you wrong.

That's true. It's all your fault! :bmk:

Have you mentioned our "Win By ##" that we picked up from one of your convention games? Or how about "Marklew Damage"? (Sorry, forgot how to spell that character's name...)

I did mention Marchliew damage.

The "Win by #!" thing, I picked up at a convention game. I was playing in a game with a couple of young kids, teenagers really. When they succeeded in a roll, they'd yell "Win by !" So if one of them needed a 13 and she rolled an 8, she'd bounce up and down and yell "Win by five!" My gaming group picked that up pretty quick. :)

Oh, that reminds me of another bit of jargon we have in our group...

"Fire :: hot." Usually said in the goofiest voice possible. It's used when we discover something that's known to be dangerous (like fire) can hurt you. :doi:

Example: The party's thief falls into a pit and impales himself on spikes. He'll say, "Oh my god, I can't believe how much damage I just took!" Someone else will respond (in a goofy voice), "Fire :: hot. Spikes :: sharp." ;)

He also has something like 40pd fully resistant. He's not taking much damage on the unlikely occurrance that he's actually hit.

If he's not taking much damage from that x2 damage multiple from a head hit, then the PC's have no business fighting him in the first place. Because that means anything other than a head hit is going to completely bounce! :thumbdown

If he's not taking much damage from that x2 damage multiple from a head hit' date=' then the PC's have no business fighting him in the first place. Because that means anything [i']other[/i] than a head hit is going to completely bounce! :thumbdown

Well, yes. Some encounters cannot be solved by combat. You shouldn't try.

Oh, reminds me of another one of our catch phrases:

"For my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - I'm going to try and run for it. Usually used after failing to harm a opponent.

We call that a "Cutscene."

Generally, when a character or player is acting up during a cutscene, the GM will warn him with a stern "You can't die in a cutscene." Meaning that if the character keeps fooling around, he may discover a new way to die. ;)

Heh heh.

We generally still call it 'boxtext', even if it isn't read from a box in a module anymore.

And when someone is trying to interrupt the 'boxtext' I ask them to 'save vs. boxtext'.

Remembered a couple more:

"Buh-Durr!" ~ Brain Fart. Said while cross eyed, arm held to chest, VERY un-Politically Correct style. Said similar to Carlos Mencia's "Dee de Dee!" line.

"Who?" ~ Used in reference to any former player, who left under bad circumstances. Mostly my ex girlfriends.

"I have feet!" ~ Utterly botching a roll. Usually perception.

and, though it's not really Jargon, I'm not allowed to dance during our game. This came about after I think I did a pre-emptive "I win" dance just before I literally hosed the PCs.

Duck Twacy!

Here's your No-Prize!

I actually played a Pulp Noir HERO game at a con where all of the bad guys were modeled after that particular cartoon. The enemies were a little more macabra and less funny, but it was still a great 8 hour game slot.

Many of our gaming terms are actually movie quotes or old jokes, many of which we used anyway, but have taken on specific meaning with certain friends when gaming.

“I attack him with hummus.”: Referencing Oz’s suggestion to attack the Mayor with hummus on the show Buffy. It’s usually said by one of us to make fun of someone who just made a really stupid or sarcastic suggestion.

“Testicles Rising” (Usually said in a high-pitch voice): Often said when a player does something foolish that actually causes harm to their own player. It’s a reference to Mr. Furious in Mystery Men.

“He’s terribly mysterious”: Also from Mystery Men. Often used when the GM is having trouble describing something, especially a character.

“I'm your density!” Inevitably said after a botched interaction skill role, especially seduction.

I know there’s more, but I’m blanking at the moment…