The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Annnnnnd I've just learned that they're changing the way vacation time works. Instead of being able to take one day at a time, the rumor is that they'll cut a single check for ALL of the vacation/sick time one is entitled to, once per year. :mad:

If this goes through, I have all the impetus I need to seek employment elsewhere. Buncha shortsighted morons . . .

OK, I'll be the bad guy here.

In order to save the time needed for HR to manually input vacation days for every employee as they take it, it is now commonplace to pay vacation on the employee's anniversary and they are entitled to take the days off as the choose throughout the year or work them, as they so choose. It is not illegal or unethical as the days taken for vacation are in fact compensated.

Sick time is a different issue as these are not guaranteed days but emergency days which should only be used for illness or doctor appointments of the employee, or in the case of our company, a family member or some other emergency. Thus, sick time is not nor should it be viewed as additional paid vacation since it isn't.

OK, I'll be the bad guy here.

In order to save the time needed for HR to manually input vacation days for every employee as they take it, it is now commonplace to pay vacation on the employee's anniversary and they are entitled to take the days off as the choose throughout the year or work them, as they so choose. It is not illegal or unethical as the days taken for vacation are in fact compensated.

Sick time is a different issue as these are not guaranteed days but emergency days which should only be used for illness or doctor appointments of the employee, or in the case of our company, a family member or some other emergency. Thus, sick time is not nor should it be viewed as additional paid vacation since it isn't.

Commonplace in what industry? I've certainly never heard of it, but I've been pretty isolated in the IT and/or Healthcare fields for quite some time. I've worked places that didn't give me any vacation, but never a place that just paid me for the vacation days in one check per year.

Commonplace in what industry? I've certainly never heard of it' date=' but I've been pretty isolated in the IT and/or Healthcare fields for quite some time. I've worked places that didn't give me any vacation, but never a place that just paid me for the vacation days in one check per year.[/quote']

We have been doing it for about two years. In my case it is the building supply industry, but it is HR office policy suggetsions in general from which the idea was first presented to us. We have never had any complaints from our employees, most of whom like knowing exactly when the checkm is coming every year. Paid vacation, BTW is a benefit, not an entitlement.

We have been doing it for about two years. In my case it is the building supply industry' date=' but it is HR office policy suggetsions in general from which the idea was first presented to us. We have never had any complaints from our employees, most of whom like knowing exactly when the checkm is coming every year. Paid vacation, BTW is a benefit, not an entitlement.[/quote']

Oh certainly. Like I said, I've worked places that I didn't get it. Heck, I've worked places that I didn't get paid holidays. Personally I much prefer getting the same amount of pay each check (regardless of time taken off), rather than getting smaller/no check when I'm on vacation, but getting an extra check covering it at a different time of year. But I'm well aware that different industries have different standards and expectations.

Commonplace in what industry? I've certainly never heard of it' date=' but I've been pretty isolated in the IT and/or Healthcare fields for quite some time. I've worked places that didn't give me any vacation, but never a place that just paid me for the vacation days in one check per year.[/quote']

Me neither.

In order to save the time needed for HR to manually input vacation days for every employee as they take it' date=' it is now commonplace to pay vacation on the employee's anniversary and they are entitled to take the days off as the choose throughout the year or work them, as they so choose. It is not illegal or unethical as the days taken for vacation are in fact compensated. [/quote']

I still don't get it, but at least it sounds less like a scam the way you describe it. ;) I probably should've asked: is this for hourly employees, salaried, or both?

I still don't get it' date=' but at least it sounds less like a scam the way you describe it. ;) I probably should've asked: is this for hourly employees, salaried, or both?[/quote']

Any full time employee whether hourly or salaried who has been employed for a year gets a week. After five years they get two weeks. We don't have part time employees so that is everyone who is not a subcontractor.

Gah! For reasons unkown my computer sometimes either completely freezes or the screen just goes blank. It happens when I use Photoshop Elements or try to visit certain websites (sites that never caused it start doing). I don't know if it's my hard drive, my processor or the monitor but it's really, really frustrating.

Any full time employee whether hourly or salaried who has been employed for a year gets a week. After five years they get two weeks. We don't have part time employees so that is everyone who is not a subcontractor.

Yow. That's low. Except when I've been a pure contract employee, I've always started with at least two weeks. (And then there was the job that I started with six weeks.)

Someone tried to correct my usage of "bemused" this morning by pointing out it didn't mean the same thing as "amused".

Right. It means confused, befuddled, or deep in thought. So to say, "This bemused me" means, "It makes me think deeply about the underlying contradiction". (At least, it does when I use it.)

If I meant it amused me, I would've said amused, dangit!

I hate it when people project what they think I meant onto my words.

Yow. That's low. Except when I've been a pure contract employee' date=' I've always started with at least two weeks. (And then there was the job that I started with six weeks.)[/quote']

I don't quite hit the 6 week figure, but my new job includes 21 days of PTO the first year. Along with 13 holidays and 6 days of Extended Illness Pay (EIP). :)

I don't quite hit the 6 week figure' date=' but my new job includes 21 days of PTO the first year. Along with 13 holidays and 6 days of Extended Illness Pay (EIP). :)[/quote']

I think my six week vacation job had a few others as well with vacations and such. Of course during that year I worked there, I took about a week of vacation for my wedding... :idjit:

But that was mainly because my manager was trying to fire me during the year. I learned two weeks into that job, if you fix something in 15 minutes that was a problem for six months, find out why it wasn't fixed. The reason was that my manager said it had been an unfixable problem to the board six months ago. I fixed it the day before the board meeting and my boss didn't read the note I left him.

He finally manipulated a firing solution, but he got himself fired two weeks later when things started falling apart. Meanwhile, I picked up a better job. Less vacation though...

My current job, three weeks vacation, six days holiday, and the work feels like a vacation most of the time.

Going on Leave of Absence again at end of the week. Need to finish processing the backlog of 1000 pictures. Some of the processing is just "Ug, what a horrible shot", but sometimes it takes 30 minutes to get a good shot to printable state. Usual time is about 5-10 minutes though. Adjust lighting and color mostly and add an ID tag.