The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

If I thought for a moment the city would allow it' date=' and that I could afford it, I'd have my yard freakin' Astroturfed.[/quote']

Another good thing about the buffalo grass varieties is that they are drought tolerant. hardly need irrigation

I hadn't eaten anything in ... let's see ... about 18 hours, maybe more. Wife brings food home ... and I barely eat any of it. I'm just not hungry ... which I should be grateful for, being so overweight, but peritoneal dialysis leaches out a lot of protein from the body, so I may be putting myself at risk of some serious health problems if I don't figure out where my appetite went.

I hear ya. I'm living out in the country now' date=' looking after my grandparents' old place. I've got the front yard, the back yard, and two adjacent lots. One of them used to be a horse pasture, decades ago... it's huge. Three and a half hours, [i']with a riding mower[/i], to cut it all.

Sheep?

I hadn't eaten anything in ... let's see ... about 18 hours' date=' maybe more. Wife brings food home ... and I barely eat any of it. I'm just not hungry ... which I should be grateful for, being so overweight, but peritoneal dialysis leaches out a lot of protein from the body, so I may be putting myself at risk of some serious health problems if I don't figure out where my appetite went.[/quote']

I'd like you to go take a blood sample. Sounds like it might be an infection. Maybe it's just a cold or something, but you have just had abdominal surgery. No pain around the catheter?

I'd like you to go take a blood sample. Sounds like it might be an infection. Maybe it's just a cold or something' date=' but you have just had abdominal surgery. No pain around the catheter?[/quote']

Just had blood drawn a couple of days ago (rather by coincidence ... regularly scheduled checkup), so if I've got a problem, I should find out soon. No pain or other signs of infection around the catheter/exit site. I did eat lunch today, though, so at least that's something.

Take it from a fat guy who's now (finally) actually losing weight; a lot of things can be mistaken for appetite. I agree' date=' however, that none whatsoever is not a good sign, unless you've just eaten.[/quote']

My lady and I have been on the Atkins diet for 6 weeks, now. And, yeah, I'm right there with you that not all appetite is good or healthy... especially when it hits you an hour after gorging one's self on high protein foods.

Being restricted to one dryer when I have just used two large and one small washing machine in the laundrette will put me in a mood.

I used to have to do this regularly. I softened the blow by going alone with a stack of comics to get some peace and quiet (away from the wife and kids). I turned it into my private time.

I hadn't eaten anything in ... let's see ... about 18 hours' date=' maybe more. Wife brings food home ... and I barely eat any of it. I'm just not hungry ... which I should be grateful for, being so overweight, but peritoneal dialysis leaches out a lot of protein from the body, so I may be putting myself at risk of some serious health problems if I don't figure out where my appetite went.[/quote']

Sorry to hear it, buddy.

Been having similar appetite issues for weeks now. Not. Fun.

I had a lawn once. Now I have weeds' date=' and bare dirt.[/quote']

I applaud you for your gallant water-conservation efforts and a frugal example for your neighbors.

Mind you, you'd do much more for water conservation if you went out with an A-10 and took a machine cannon to all the business types on the golf courses during the weekends, explicitly including the business types who own and operate the golf courses. It would also be a noble socioeconomic statement. But I digress.

No HOA' date=' just neighbors who piss me off. However, filling my yard with rocks seems like a bad idea given the number of small boys who live in the house with me.[/quote']

How are kids going to learn that rocks are hard and cacti are stickery if they never have the opportunity to determine such things empirically from their own face-merging experiments?!?

Protein shakes--Muscle Milk, for example--are probably the way to go, at least until your appetite returns. Even if you're not hungry, it's still pretty easy to quickly chug down one.

My STUPID CAT is officially down one of her nine lives.

She just knocked the LAN antenna out of my window (by accident, I'm certain) and it quit working, which cut off my internet connection. Obviously, I succeeded in repairing it (Leatherman tool powers, activate!) or I wouldn't be posting this. But that's really lucky for her, because otherwise, she'd be to blame for the $100+ replacement and me being offline until the new one arrived. I'm cranky enough today as it is without my cat running up repair bills and cutting me off from the internet for a week.

Now she's in the other window, snoozing peacefully... feline mayhem is such hard work.

Protein shakes--Muscle Milk' date=' for example--are probably the way to go, at least until your appetite returns. Even if you're not hungry, it's still pretty easy to quickly chug down one.[/quote']

Not a bad idea ... I know they can give me a protein supplement, but I've seen someone else swig it. It's apparently very thick, kinda syrupy, and tastes like something you'd wash off the undercarriage of your car.

Mind you, you'd do much more for water conservation if you went out with an A-10 and took a machine cannon to all the business types on the golf courses during the weekends, explicitly including the business types who own and operate the golf courses. It would also be a noble socioeconomic statement. But I digress.

Congratulations, you have triggered one of my Berserks. Our water rains out of the clean, unpolluted Pacific air, then filters through hundreds of meters of volcanic rock before settling in what may seriously be the cleanest aquifer on Earth. The water that comes out of my garden hose is literally cleaner than any bottled water you can buy.

This is what the golf course owners spray liberally on their greens and fairways. They get a discounted rate from the board of water supply.

How are kids going to learn that rocks are hard and cacti are stickery if they never have the opportunity to determine such things empirically from their own face-merging experiments?!?

I'm not worried about their faces, I'm worried about them breaking my stuff with rocks. I am a very learn-by-experience parent, though I'm usually soft enough to warn them first. "I don't think tying that rope to yourself while you ride your bike is a good idea." Pause. "See?"

Padlock your stuff. At the very least, you'll preserve some of it. At best, your kid will learn to go through padlocks like a pro, and there you have real profit-making potential.