The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Everything I've tried to eat today has tasted bad, except the cupcake. I tried dumplings from Wegmans, usually they are fine, today they tasted funny. OddHat made a cheeseburger, he said the meat was fine, to me it tasted funny. Being a Supertaster is a pain, to me and for everyone else. I still feel bad for what my poor Mother had to go through to get me to eat.

I just started using a CPAP machine (for sleep apnea) and the mask is a bit too tight on the bridge of my nose. Bad enough that it carved a bloody oozing mess into the nose, but now the bloody oozing mess is infected. Hopefully antibiotic ointment is strong enough to resolve the issue, as I do NOT want to make another trip to the doctor this month.

I just started using a CPAP machine (for sleep apnea) and the mask is a bit too tight on the bridge of my nose. Bad enough that it carved a bloody oozing mess into the nose' date=' but now the bloody oozing mess is infected. Hopefully antibiotic ointment is strong enough to resolve the issue, as I do NOT want to make another trip to the doctor this month.[/quote']

Are you sure you didn't just have the straps too tight ? Check. If not, maybe you just need a bigger mask. Nose pillows are also an option;these do not press the face at all.

I hate going to the Doctor too, but maybe you can just see a Lab Technician who can help you with proper fit. This tends to be more convenient, time-wise.

Re: It's a cruel (or not so cruel?) summer

My brain is shutting down. I'm bored with everything and boring. I don't want to look at these same half-dozen websites anymore. My websurfing isn't doing it for me anymore, yet I am compulsive about it. My hands turn on the computer automatically. I think Zuckerberg and the rest have us all brainwashed. I think Simon has subliminal mind-control on this site. Tomorrow I go to a knitting session. Perhaps learning a new skill that gets me out of this chair and around people besides OddHat will bring the sparkle back to my dull, sad eyes. I guess I feel isolated because I have just had a cold and had to stay home. Usually it's not this bad. I do see people. I do service. It's just this past seven days I've had to stay home and rest. I guess the bottom line is it stinks to be sick.

PS: I seem to have posted in the wrong thread. Would a Mod kindly move this to The Cranky Thread ? Thanks.

Everything I've tried to eat today has tasted bad' date=' except the cupcake. I tried dumplings from Wegmans, usually they are fine, today they tasted funny. OddHat made a cheeseburger, he said the meat was fine, to me it tasted funny. Being a Supertaster is a pain, to me and for everyone else. I still feel bad for what my poor Mother had to go through to get me to eat.[/quote']

I'm a supertaster, too. Only I didn't find out till last year. It explained so much about why I'm such a "fussy" eater.

I've been crying ever since my wife left for work. I feel like a complete waste of space. I feel like I'm dragging everybody around me down. I hate that I can't give my wife and our cats a better home. I hate having to hook myself up to this f**king dialysis equipment four times a day. I hate having half my wife's room taken up by my boxes of supplies. I want to hit something, break something, smash something, but I'm so damned weak I can't even do that.

Would it have been too much to ask for a little warning on how much your life is going to suck? If had known it was going to turn out like this, I would never have bothered. "Yeah, you're gonna get an inexplicable incurable disease and be useless for the last half-plus of your life." "No thanks, I'll pass."

CC, let yourself wallow for a while, it's natural and human to rage against things we have no control over. Then--at the risk of seeming callous, but this is coming from a veteran wallower who's seen a few miles of bad road himself(and currently covering a few more as I write this)--it's time to "man up". Start focusing on the things you do have control over--your attitude, your behavior, the way you interact with others, etc.--and work on being the best CC you can be. If you do that, other things will start to take care of themselves, you'll feel more empowered, and your wife and everyone else will appreciate it. For every Dostoevsky and Steven Hawking, there's a thousand "regular" guys with similar problems who find a way to infuse meaning into their lives and also enrich the lives of those who care about them.

I am angry about the stupidest thing. So, about 17 years ago I joined a pipe-hitting LARP. The owner, who has been described as having Hitlerian Charisma, needed a website. So, these two morons made one and it was terrible. Then, in a fit of anger, I went out and registered a new domain name and stood up a professional website. Mine became the official website and two years later, when the domain lapsed on the first one, I picked up the domain and all was good. I spent the intervening years trying to distance myself from the drama and bad behavior that comes with such an addition driven group of drama queens and I finally quit playing out of annoyance and boredom. But I'd made the owner a promise (he is prone to making bad, emotional decisions) that he's never need to worry about someone holding the website hostage or anyone doing anything with his web presence in a fit of pique. And, despite a few arguments between us, I kept my word.

He has a bad behavior that gets him into trouble. He gets 'involved' with women/girls and lets them become the Queen of the LARP Nerds™ until the whole thing blows up in his face. Well, as predicted, it happened again and this time he has proclaimed that he is super-for-real shutting the business down -- in 10 days. Since this proclamation, 25 new people have registered on the site and all have lavashed him with adoration and begged him not to cut off their crack supply. The whole thing has me seeing red and I want to punch a bag of kittens.

Dammit.

Are you sure you didn't just have the straps too tight ? Check. If not, maybe you just need a bigger mask. Nose pillows are also an option;these do not press the face at all.

I hate going to the Doctor too, but maybe you can just see a Lab Technician who can help you with proper fit. This tends to be more convenient, time-wise.

Thanks for the advice. I visited the supplier today, and he agreed that I need a bigger mask. Gave me nose pillows as a temporary fix until the nose heals, but my prescription calls for a nose-and-mouth mask. We're pretty sure we found a model that will work, but he wants it to heal before I wear anything on the bridge.

This is difficult for me to type. I don't share my problems easily.

I don't want to be like my oldest sister.

She's having trouble and is about to (or already has) lost her house. She's borrowed several thousand dollars to help from my mom. I've tried not to be like her. But, after having surgery last fall, the medical bills are eating most of my money and I got behind on bills.

And today I had my car repossessed. I'm not sure what it will take to get it out. I'm thinking between $1500 and $2000. And the only place I have to go to is my mom. I HATE having to borrow from her, but I have no choice if I'm going to get my car back so I can work.

My sister got to the cliff edge of over her head debt and charged right off. I hit that point and turned to stay along the edge. Apparently I got to close and fell off.

This is difficult for me to type. I don't share my problems easily.

I don't want to be like my oldest sister.

She's having trouble and is about to (or already has) lost her house. She's borrowed several thousand dollars to help from my mom. I've tried not to be like her. But, after having surgery last fall, the medical bills are eating most of my money and I got behind on bills.

And today I had my car repossessed. I'm not sure what it will take to get it out. I'm thinking between $1500 and $2000. And the only place I have to go to is my mom. I HATE having to borrow from her, but I have no choice if I'm going to get my car back so I can work.

My sister got to the cliff edge of over her head debt and charged right off. I hit that point and turned to stay along the edge. Apparently I got to close and fell off.

It happened to me, too. Financially speaking, sometimes it's a kick-you-when-you're-down world, and just about the only thing you can do is be thankful that there's someone, anyone, willing to help you get back up. This is hardly your own fault: medical expenses are one of the leading causes (maybe the #1 cause) of financial hardships in the US. Please don't listen to any of those blame-the-victim idiots who insist that you "should have avoided" this situation.

From the

Vancouver Province today: (link)

Discount retailer Target will hire about 3,000 people in B.C. as part of an ambitious program to open 18 stores here in 2013.Company reps said Tuesday that the American retail giant will spend about $180 million to renovate the locations, which were taken over from Zellers."This is a big task. We're looking for great people with great talent," said Tiffany Monroe, vice-president of human resources, who was in Vancouver to begin the search for store managers.Retail analyst Richard Talbot of Talbot Consultants said Targets' middle-income customers will have the greatest impact on Sears."Sears is having such dire problems that the arrival of Target could be fatal over time," he said."Target is an upscale version of Walmart. It's reasonably priced and quite fashion forward," he said. "They have funky purchases and unique products."I don't see any impact on Canadian Tire. They have a unique Canadian format," he said. "Target is late in coming to Canada because this is the first time they could get a critical mass of stores."The Target stores, which are being erected at one-time Zellers' locations, will be an average 100,000 square feet in size.The wide range of stock includes food, clothing, furniture, health and beauty products, pharmacies, books, appliances and electronics. Many items are manufactured in Asia.Talbot said there should be plenty of willing applicants for the minimum wage positions. "Target has a better reputation with employees than Walmart and Sears."Health, dental and pension benefits are usually included for full-time employees, said Monroe. "We're looking for people who want to grow their career at Target."Interested young people should be "hungry, eager to learn and have a customer-service focus. If you can fit into our culture, we can teach you the nuances of the job," she said.Target is a non-union shop. "It's counter to our culture to have a third-party [union] between us," she said....."We don't like to keep you waiting in lineups," [Tiffany] said.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Target+hunt+staff/6700235/story.html#ixzz1wPf1OXxt

I could riff on the tedious bit about how retailers keep expecting "middle-income" (or higher) customers to walk in their doors while paying their employees minimum wage, but what's the sense of that? I mean, sure, your business plan may look more like a murder-suicide note, but what are you going to do?

Instead, I'm going to offer a tiny little experiential nugget of wisdom to Ms. Tiffany. And it comes with free bonus facts!

Fact 1: Vancouver's current unemployment rate is 6/3%. That's not exactly a severe labour shortage comparable to the one raging back in 2008, but there's not a lot of slack in the system, and economic recovery will bring the labour shortage back.

Fact 2: The population of Vancouver rose over 10% in the last census period.

Fact 3: The 10-15 age cohort rose 0.5% in the last census period. Since there were few babies born in the Dirty Thirties due to people not having kids during bad times, there are no grandchildren around today. Sorry if this patronising clarification offends you, Tiffany, but you know those kids just entering the work force who want to grow along with Target? Here's the thing. They don't exist.

Fact 4: The demographic picture isn't completely bleak. The number of toddlers is up substantially. This is in part due to the leading edge of the second "baby boom echo," but also reflects a slight hike in the birth rate. Remember the labour shortage? When younger workers are reasonably secure and confident, they have babies. That is very good news for retailers, because no-one spends like parents. (And teens, looking ahead ten years.) Just to hammer the point home: financially secure consumers are good for the retail industry in multiple ways.*

So that's my bonus facts for you, Tiffany. Now here's the inside scoop, the little bit of hard-won experiential wisdom from inside an actual Vancouver-area retail operator that I'm sharing with you. We tried to recruit 150 new employees recently.

We couldn't.

And so my point, at the end of all this blah-blah? You're currently fighting against a petition to have one of your Vancouver sites declared a "successor" to the old, unionised operation. That's the context to the comment about "unions . . .[not being] . . . part of our culture." My tiny, tiny point: maybe it's time to stop thinking about your corporate culture and start thinking about how you're going to attract 3000 good new employees for your operations.

Because right now, your biggest problem isn't that some evil union is going to sneak in the door and ruin your precious little hothouse corporate culture. It's going to be that one of your shiny new 100,000ft flagship stores is going to lurch into the night with a just-slightly-more motley lot of staff than every other retailer in this city. Because, believe me, the staffs at those stores are just one step above the "burning down the store with everyone trapped inside" level of competence.

*No, really. I mean, I agree that it sounds crazy, but it's true.