The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Alice, Alice... so recently you were posting in the "nice happy" thread!

Sigh.

Hey, you can always try Oklahoma. Norman has one of the cheapest housing markets in the US. Two story, two bedroom brick homes for $120K. My apartment, which is only a 1 bedroom but pretty sizeable, has hard wood floors, real tile in the bathroom, and gas heat... for $325 a month. Across the street from the University, too, I might add.

Of course, you would be in Oklahoma. But, hell, we'll get everyone from the boards out here and make it the new center of the HERO universe...

And hey, just be glad you're not in Nashville. I miss my hometown, but dude, you couldn't get a two bedroom in the 'ville for less than $650, and those are the ones in the shady areas of town. $700 to $750 is a more likely figure for anything decent.

Of course' date=' you [i']would[/i] be in Oklahoma. But, hell, we'll get everyone from the boards out here and make it the new center of the HERO universe...

Dude, I already managed to get out of there. I don't need to go back. ;)

I do miss a number of people in the Norman area, as well as the previously mentioned brother. As well as most of my extended family. But I don't miss the being in Oklahoma part. :)

archermoo - Yeah, I'm not too overwhelmed with excitement about being here. I'm from Nashville, one of the best music scenes in the country. Moving from an entertainment industry town to... Norman... has been a come down.

Alice - Well, there are plenty of jobs out here, I suppose because most people feel about like archermoo and I do about this place. I can't vouch for how rewarding they are, though. :P A lot of them seem to be somehow connected to Tinker AFB. Or to cows.

Alice - Well' date=' there are plenty of jobs out here, I suppose because most people feel about like archermoo and I do about this place. I can't vouch for how rewarding they are, though. :P A lot of them seem to be somehow connected to Tinker AFB. Or to cows.[/quote']

Neither one particularly interests me, and the Air Force has precious little for a person who's blind in one eye to do with herself.

As much as we're open to the idea of moving elsewhere, if we do, it'll be closer to our families and friends, not farther.

2 bedroom apts. rent for about $500 a month in Cape. Outside of it' date=' the rent is about $400.[/quote']

That's ALL ??????

I pay over 1000/month for mine (not including utilities). I plan to move to a Townhouse which will be over 2000, not including Utilities. :ugly:

Alice, Alice... so recently you were posting in the "nice happy" thread!

Sigh.

Hey, you can always try Oklahoma. Norman has one of the cheapest housing markets in the US. Two story, two bedroom brick homes for $120K. My apartment, which is only a 1 bedroom but pretty sizeable, has hard wood floors, real tile in the bathroom, and gas heat... for $325 a month. Across the street from the University, too, I might add.

Of course, you would be in Oklahoma. But, hell, we'll get everyone from the boards out here and make it the new center of the HERO universe...

And hey, just be glad you're not in Nashville. I miss my hometown, but dude, you couldn't get a two bedroom in the 'ville for less than $650, and those are the ones in the shady areas of town. $700 to $750 is a more likely figure for anything decent.

:rolleyes:

That's ALL ??????

I pay over 1000/month for mine (not including utilities). I plan to move to a Townhouse which will be over 2000, not including Utilities. :ugly:

Also re; your addendum: This area has one of the lowest cost of living indexes in the US. YOu can actually live on $25,000 a year as long as you don't have expensive tastes.

Neither one particularly interests me, and the Air Force has precious little for a person who's blind in one eye to do with herself.

As much as we're open to the idea of moving elsewhere, if we do, it'll be closer to our families and friends, not farther.

Actually, only pilots in the Air Force need to have perfect vision. There are plenty of things to do on an Air Force base that do not require perfect vision. Of course, there are plenty of things to do in central Oklahoma for a living that have nothing to do with the military at all. :) Though I'll say that were it not for friends and family there, I'd never go back.

Actually' date=' only pilots in the Air Force need to have perfect vision. There are plenty of things to do on an Air Force base that do not require perfect vision. Of course, there are plenty of things to do in central Oklahoma for a living that have nothing to do with the military at all. :) Though I'll say that were it not for friends and family there, I'd never go back.[/quote']

I feel the same way about Cape Cod, actually, for entirely different reasons.

Anyway, while the idea of getting money from the government, instead of giving, sounds delightful, I'm having a hard enough time finding something in the private sector.

I feel the same way about Cape Cod, actually, for entirely different reasons.

Anyway, while the idea of getting money from the government, instead of giving, sounds delightful, I'm having a hard enough time finding something in the private sector.

If you're having a hard time finding good employment in the private sector, it doesn't hurt to expand the search to government jobs as well. Assuming of course that there are some available in the local area. I generally work on finding jobs in a particular field, rather than segragating it between private/government anyway. I was searching both types when I ended up getting my current basically government job. Which is to say I work for the hospital that is associated with the Med School of a State University. :)

If you're having a hard time finding good employment in the private sector' date=' it doesn't hurt to expand the search to government jobs as well. Assuming of course that there are some available in the local area. I generally work on finding jobs in a particular field, rather than segragating it between private/government anyway. I was searching both types when I ended up getting my current basically government job. Which is to say I work for the hospital that is associated with the Med School of a State University. :)[/quote']

And therein lies the problem. If I wanted to be someone's secretary, I could argue my way in there. Beyond that . . . not so much.

I'm not interested in leaving my current job for something even more menial and less in my chosen field. So at the moment, that leaves me a bit stuck.

Josh and I have been talking about the possibility of my going back to school for an MLS, though. I like the idea, but for now, it's just talk.

And therein lies the problem. If I wanted to be someone's secretary, I could argue my way in there. Beyond that . . . not so much.

I'm not interested in leaving my current job for something even more menial and less in my chosen field. So at the moment, that leaves me a bit stuck.

Josh and I have been talking about the possibility of my going back to school for an MLS, though. I like the idea, but for now, it's just talk.

Not to be stupid, but what is an MLS? The only one I know is the Multiple Listing Service used in real estate, and I'm assuming you aren't looking at going back to school to get a list of property for sale. :)

Masters of Library Science. I've volunteered at libraries in the past, and worked in one as a work-study for a semester, and realized, during a "poor-me" moment that, if I had that degree, I could be doing something that actually made me happy. Granted, there are parts of the job I wouldn't enjoy as much, but there are much worse places to spend most of one's waking hours than surrounded by books and people who want to read them.

Masters of Library Science. I've volunteered at libraries in the past' date=' and worked in one as a work-study for a semester, and realized, during a "poor-me" moment that, if I had that degree, I could be doing something that actually made me happy. Granted, there are parts of the job I wouldn't enjoy as much, but there are much worse places to spend most of one's waking hours than surrounded by books and people who want to read them.[/quote']

Ah, meaning that you already have a undergraduate degree?

Yes. I have a BA in Psychology and Creative Writing.

So, you can probably spot the issue right away.

Eh, not necessarily. I have been turned down for a couple of positions in my life simply because I do not have an undergraduate degree. Any degree.

One position was as a desktop computer technician, where I was specifically told that I would have been offered the position if I had a degree. A BA in Psychology and Creative Writing would've been enough. For some fairly large percentage of employers out there just having a degree, whether it relates to the work you would be doing, gives you a leg up in the application process.

Personally I find it somewhat amusing that including my current employer, I have basically worked for two different state universities, though I have no degree. Just experience in my field. :)

I get the opposite problem. When I apply for some entry-level clerical job, I hear that I'm "overqualified" because of my degree.

It's rather frustrating, really.

Yeah, I've gotten the "overqualified" thing as well, and as I said I don't even have a degree. I understand where they are coming from, as someone who is in theory qualified to do higher paying work is not likely to stay with a low paying job, but it is frustrating. Particularly if you are unemployed at the time.

I have no idea if you have interests in this area, but frequently with a degree you can get a job as a teacher (at least as a substitute), even if you don't have a teaching certificate. And picking up the TC isn't usually that difficult if it is required. That is what my youngest brother is doing. He got a BS in Criminal Justice and wanted to be a cop. That didn't pan out (VERY long story) and so he was stuck looking for something else to do. He started teaching as a sub, eventually got his TC and now is a full time teacher. Granted, not a glamourous job, but it pays the bills and he at least finds it very rewarding. But certainly not everyone's cup of tea.