The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Yeah, I've gotten the "overqualified" thing as well, and as I said I don't even have a degree. I understand where they are coming from, as someone who is in theory qualified to do higher paying work is not likely to stay with a low paying job, but it is frustrating. Particularly if you are unemployed at the time.

I have no idea if you have interests in this area, but frequently with a degree you can get a job as a teacher (at least as a substitute), even if you don't have a teaching certificate. And picking up the TC isn't usually that difficult if it is required. That is what my youngest brother is doing. He got a BS in Criminal Justice and wanted to be a cop. That didn't pan out (VERY long story) and so he was stuck looking for something else to do. He started teaching as a sub, eventually got his TC and now is a full time teacher. Granted, not a glamourous job, but it pays the bills and he at least finds it very rewarding. But certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

I've considered it before, and decided that my innate hatred for children probably doesn't recommend me very well.

Okay, I don't HATE children, but I have very little tolerance for misbehavior, and I'm very bad at establishing the consistent discipline, guidelines and schedules little ones require. Most kids are scared of me.

I've considered it before, and decided that my innate hatred for children probably doesn't recommend me very well.

Okay, I don't HATE children, but I have very little tolerance for misbehavior, and I'm very bad at establishing the consistent discipline, guidelines and schedules little ones require. Most kids are scared of me.

Understood. As I said, not for everyone. Just an example of a job that doesn't necessarily directly use your degree (so might not be one you considered), but would be easier to land because of it.

Though at what point do they stop being "children" to you? High Schools need teachers too. ;) Though that one is even less for everyone. Oddly enough that is the level at which my little bro is teaching. Whether or not he finds aspects of his Criminal Justice degree to be useful in his current job I have no idea. :D

Actually, Alice, I'd like to see more teachers like you in the system. I'm getting tired of kids with no respect for authority. Which is kind of funny coming from someone with all kinds of bumper stickers along the lines of "Question your Government" and whatnot, but the general idea is that even if we're not going to take everything our leaders and authority figures say as the gospel truth, at least the kids coming up now can learn some manners.

archermoo's dead on about that temporary cert thing. Different states call it different things, but the general gist is (and this is nearly universal in the US) if you have a major corresponding to a licensed area, you can get a waiver that lets you teach for up to three years while you complete the teacher requirements. For someone with no other qualifications, this usually amounts to about 18 semester hours of credit in teacher education. Some states, like Oklahoma, will accept field-related experience for some of this - so if you were a chemist, for instance, for four years, you would only need 6 semester hours of teacher training in addition to your degree.

Eh, not necessarily. I have been turned down for a couple of positions in my life simply because I do not have an undergraduate degree. Any degree.

One position was as a desktop computer technician, where I was specifically told that I would have been offered the position if I had a degree. A BA in Psychology and Creative Writing would've been enough. For some fairly large percentage of employers out there just having a degree, whether it relates to the work you would be doing, gives you a leg up in the application process.

Personally I find it somewhat amusing that including my current employer, I have basically worked for two different state universities, though I have no degree. Just experience in my field. :)

Moi Aussie my good friend. No Degree = No job for me. *sigh*

Moi Aussie my good friend. No Degree = No job for me. *sigh*

Some jobs it makes perfect sense to require a degree. In general, at least in my opinion, those are ones that require either a specific degree or one of a small list of degrees. But how does having a degree in English Lit mean that someone is more capable of fixing desktop computers?

Hmmm...looks like I'll be researching the requirements for substitute teachers here. Might be worth looking into as I've got about half of my teaching degree credits taken care of...with a strong desire to go back and finish it out so I can teach. :D

Hmmm...looks like I'll be researching the requirements for substitute teachers here. Might be worth looking into as I've got about half of my teaching degree credits taken care of...with a strong desire to go back and finish it out so I can teach. :D

Mr recollection is that Colorado requires an undergraduate degree to work as a substitute, and a teaching certificate to be hired full time. But that info is old, so it would probably be a good idea to check and see what the current rules are. :)

ARG!

Just over on a Prius board that I infrequent, and I am just amazed. I can understand the people that are complaining about not getting the full $3150 tax credit on their Prius because of AMT, though they should've known it was a possibility. The ones that just boggle my mind are the ones that owed less than $3150 in taxes, but yet somehow thought that any amount of credit they got over what they owed would be "returned" to them. The amount you owe in taxes can only go to $0. If you only owe $1,000, then you only get to use $1,000 worth of credit. And no, you don't get to save the "extra" for next year...

*shakes head*

ARG!

Just over on a Prius board that I infrequent, and I am just amazed. I can understand the people that are complaining about not getting the full $3150 tax credit on their Prius because of AMT, though they should've known it was a possibility. The ones that just boggle my mind are the ones that owed less than $3150 in taxes, but yet somehow thought that any amount of credit they got over what they owed would be "returned" to them. The amount you owe in taxes can only go to $0. If you only owe $1,000, then you only get to use $1,000 worth of credit. And no, you don't get to save the "extra" for next year...

*shakes head*

Snort!

I love inadvertant comedy.

Yesterday was my bithday. Aside from the VA Tech tragedy (which BY FAR outweighs everything), I had the following day: Sleep in a bit, as the wife was taking the day off too, and eventually get woken up by my boy screaming "DAAADDDY!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUPPPP!!!". Take kids to school. Pay monthly tuition (almost $2300, @#$!!!). Write check for federal taxes. Discover doing a last-minute review that my W-2s actually have a state code of "VA" on them.

See, I moved from VA to MN in the summer of 2005. For tax year 2005, my company correctly split my taxes between the two states. Last year? They paid it all to VA. Where I don't live. Meaning the state of Minnesota wants A FULL YEAR'S WORTH OF TAXES IN ONE CHECK. I'll get it back from VA eventually, but hey, eventually isn't now.

Oh, and lunch gave me indigestion, I scraped my knee on the side of the deck playing with the kids outside, I tweaked my back again carrying my foul-mooded almost five-year-old to bed, and he proceeded to throw a royal hissy fit that lasted from his bedtime at 8 until almost 10:00.

Golly, turning 37 was just @$#!@!! spectacular.

Aw' date=' but teaching is hard work, and I'm lazy. ;)[/quote']

Apply for a Substitute Clerical position then. My GF got hired as such about 5 months ago and has been bringing in pretty good money for what amonts to part time work (She's averaging around 20-25 hours a week, and usually gets around $25 an hour, depending on who she's subbing for).

You still will occasionally have to deal with kids, but not the same way a classroom sub has to.

Digestive tract viruses just bite the royal moose member. At least I'm past the stages where (1) I daren't get more than 30 feet from a toilet due to lower end emissions, (2) I daren't get more than 30 feet from a toilet due to upper end emissions, (3) think the stuff bubbling up from my stomach smells like burned popcorn, and (4) feel like eating and drinking absolutely nothing, even though I had to be verging on dehydration there. I am still in stage 5, which means I'm physically weak and unable to concentrate.

BTW, stages 1 and 2 overlapped but were not the same. (Nothing like sitting on the pot with a ready bucket in your lap.)

Digestive tract viruses just bite the royal moose member. At least I'm past the stages where (1) I daren't get more than 30 feet from a toilet due to lower end emissions, (2) I daren't get more than 30 feet from a toilet due to upper end emissions, (3) think the stuff bubbling up from my stomach smells like burned popcorn, and (4) feel like eating and drinking absolutely nothing, even though I had to be verging on dehydration there. I am still in stage 5, which means I'm physically weak and unable to concentrate.

BTW, stages 1 and 2 overlapped but were not the same. (Nothing like sitting on the pot with a ready bucket in your lap.)

My condolences. I had that almost 2 weeks ago now. It sucked...big time.

Right now my only complaint is that I ate too much at lunch (I always know I should stop while I'm ahead and then I don't and feel slightly pukey till the food digests), and I am extremely tired...nearly to the point that I feel at times as though if I close my eyes, even to blink, I'll nod off for an uncertain amount of time. Not a really good thing due to the fact that I am at work and have to drive myself home in 2 hours.

My condolences. I had that almost 2 weeks ago now. It sucked...big time.

Right now my only complaint is that I ate too much at lunch (I always know I should stop while I'm ahead and then I don't and feel slightly pukey till the food digests), and I am extremely tired...nearly to the point that I feel at times as though if I close my eyes, even to blink, I'll nod off for an uncertain amount of time. Not a really good thing due to the fact that I am at work and have to drive myself home in 2 hours.

That's no fun either. I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly. Getting sick and losing 4 days reduced my prep time so much that am retaining my PowerPoint virginity, which can't be all bad. :nonp:

(Nothing like sitting on the pot with a ready bucket in your lap.)
My wife thought I was crazy for hoarding a stack of old 2-liter ice cream containers. Until a bout of gastro goes through the family, when they come in handy - you can take them everywhere, so you only need to race to the toilet when you need to sit down, not kneel down.

My term for them is "chum buckets".

I have a Crankiness Trifecta today. I don't really want to talk about it, except to say I've actually gotten tired of listening to myself gripe.

If God is a kind and merciful being, I will be asleep when Josh gets home, so he doesn't have to deal with it.

To whatever extent that I've contributed to it, I'm sorry. Contrary to what it may seem on That Other Thread, I've actually got a lot of respect for you. I've just got some hot buttons... :o

To whatever extent that I've contributed to it' date=' I'm sorry. Contrary to what it may seem on That Other Thread, I've actually got a lot of respect for you. I've just got some hot buttons... :o[/quote']

Well, thank you.

And you weren't the cause of my crankiness; a lot of other things were, and I'm horribly thin-skinned and reactionary when I'm cranky. If I didn't care about your opinion of me, I wouldn't have given a flying fig.