The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Do I be cranky for fear of the outcome or laugh at my bosses...little lie that she just got busted on?

Just had a vendor call...asking where a check was that my boss told him was "in the mail" when they talked on the 12th. Only...the check didn't go out until yesterday, which is what I told him.

And now the vendor wants to come pick up another check Thursday to throw in their overnight package to HQ. I selected around 6k in past due invoices, and will have to talk to Denette Thursday morning before he calls me back.

So, I don't know whether to laugh at "busting" her, or shake in my booties for my possible screw-up.

Unless she told you that she had lied to them about the check, you had no way of knowing that you would be expected to lie about it yourself. So I would say you didn't screw up. Now, I'll admit that bosses don't always care about such things, but I'd say "shake in my booties for maybe making my boss mad because I revealed her lie" would be a better description if your second choice. :)

Unless she told you that she had lied to them about the check' date=' you had no way of knowing that you would be expected to lie about it yourself. So I would say you didn't screw up. Now, I'll admit that bosses don't always care about such things, but I'd say "shake in my booties for maybe making my boss mad because I revealed her lie" would be a better description if your second choice. :)[/quote']

Valid point. I hadn't thought of it that way. :P Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the cats.

Thanks.

Is Lucy's problem related to the recalled/contaminated food, or was it unrelated?

Nope. We didn't even have a brand at home, much less the recalled stuff.

Since I work for an animal sanctuary, we were well informed of it. Though we did have to dig through all the donated food at work to make sure we didn't have any.

Nope. We didn't even have a brand at home, much less the recalled stuff.

Since I work for an animal sanctuary, we were well informed of it. Though we did have to dig through all the donated food at work to make sure we didn't have any.

Yeah I figured you were in the early news crowd too (I have a vet in my circle of close friends who flew up the warning flag early for us).

Good luck, but I know in your situation you can't save 'em all.

Keep up the good work.

And my own bit of crankyness.

OOOOOOooowwwwwWWWWWWWCCcccchHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got up too fast, got a headrush, tripped on my chair, and did a half gainer planting my left temple into the corner of my desk.

I have a goose egg, am gonna have a hell of ablack eye, and I'm pretty sure I have a mild concussion.:ugly:

Yes, I'm being watched and checking for the signs myself.

OWWWW Dammnit!

The Moon looks really cool right now tho.

Dear darling 2 1/2 year-old daughter:

You can start crapping solid now. Really. Had enough of the diarrhea thing. Like to be able to take you back to daycare. Just . . . poop. Please. Please poop. These are words I never thought I would say, but please just . . . poop.

Yeah I figured you were in the early news crowd too (I have a vet in my circle of close friends who flew up the warning flag early for us).

Good luck, but I know in your situation you can't save 'em all.

Keep up the good work.

We got interupted in the middle of Gaming on Saturday to be told about it. The store owner's wife got a call from her mom who saw it on the news and then she ran and told us. You'd have thought from her description that every brand of food of every possible description was absolulely fatal if a drop/morsel/bit of kibble passed through the animal's lips.

So, we all freak out. Literally, we drop everything at gaming, wander outside and pick up our phones and start calling around for more information. Find out that, well, while it's really bad, none of us have food that's in the recall.

Yay us!

So, while being warned early is great, ACCURATE early warning is even better.

:)

D

We got interupted in the middle of Gaming on Saturday to be told about it. The store owner's wife got a call from her mom who saw it on the news and then she ran and told us. You'd have thought from her description that every brand of food of every possible description was absolulely fatal if a drop/morsel/bit of kibble passed through the animal's lips.

So, we all freak out. Literally, we drop everything at gaming, wander outside and pick up our phones and start calling around for more information. Find out that, well, while it's really bad, none of us have food that's in the recall.

Yay us!

So, while being warned early is great, ACCURATE early warning is even better.

:)

D

I guess being that I am not a pet owner, I'm out of the loop on this kind of thing. Was there a recent problem with some pet food?

I guess being that I am not a pet owner' date=' I'm out of the loop on this kind of thing. Was there a recent problem with some pet food?[/quote']

Yeah, turns out a remarkably large proportion of dog & cat foods are made by one company who has found they had a contamination problem. Some pets have died or been sickened by kidney failure after eating the contaminated food. Specifics were hard to come by last weekend (when I last had to buy cat food); it was like 3/4 of the cat food section at PetSmart was cordoned off with recall notices, but they hadn't had time to pull the stuff off the shelves yet. More details have since become available, but since (1) I know the stuff we have on hand is ok and (2) we have enough now to last us another week or two, I haven't bothered to keep up with the problem. When it comes time to buy more, I'll look into it then.

Yeah' date=' turns out a remarkably large proportion of dog & cat foods are made by one company who has found they had a contamination problem. Some pets have died or been sickened by kidney failure after eating the contaminated food. Specifics were hard to come by last weekend (when I last had to buy cat food); it was like 3/4 of the cat food section at PetSmart was cordoned off with recall notices, but they hadn't had time to pull the stuff off the shelves yet. More details have since become available, but since (1) I know the stuff we have on hand is ok and (2) we have enough now to last us another week or two, I haven't bothered to keep up with the problem. When it comes time to buy more, I'll look into it then.[/quote']

They've tracked it down to a particular manufacturing plant in Canada that got a contaminated batch of wheat gluten from a new supplier. AFAIK, the contaminated products are all in the seal and serve style pouches, but when I heard the news Saturday there wasn't much info other than a gi-normous list of potentially contaminated brands ranging the whole spectrum from bargain basement food like Special Kitty all the way up to the big-uns like Iams and Eukanuba. T'was a bit freaky, but our usual brands weren't on the list, so it wasn't an issue here.

What Cancer said (edit: and Amadan). Mostly pouch some canned "Cuts in Gravy" type petfood.

News item

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-18-pet-food-recall_N.htm

Actual list of products

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

D

Are those any good? I've only eaten dry dog food. Which is very bland.

Depends. Most wet dog foods are pretty bland too. Apparently, a dog's taste buds are worse than ours.

Never tried any of the cat foods. I imagine that it'd taste pretty bad, but with the higher fat and protein content (usually) it might taste better.

Since I don't work in pet food any more, I don't feel the need to try cat food just to prove that "it's got real chicken, just like I'd eat. Oh, heck, see."

D

I dimly recall being very fond of cheap dog biscuits back when I was 3 or 4. Not the good Milk-bone things' date=' but the cheap in-bulk ones with the crazy colors.[/quote']

but, whatever you do stay away from Beggin strips. Sweet baby jesus those things were horrific.

D

What Cancer said (edit: and Amadan). Mostly pouch some canned "Cuts in Gravy" type petfood.

News item

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-18-pet-food-recall_N.htm

Actual list of products

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

D

Ick. And thanks for the links. Without knowing anything other than there was a problem with pet food, I wasn't having much luck in a search.

I guess being that I am not a pet owner' date=' I'm out of the loop on this kind of thing. Was there a recent problem with some pet food?[/quote']

It was ALL over my livejournal friends' list this weekend. And on Snopes. And on Consumerist. While I appreciate the warning, being a cat owner and all, I was fighting the urge to beat the next person to bring it up by Monday afternoon.

Josh and I do not have any of the brands that went bad.

Ironically, most of the brands with the bad ingredient are "special treats" for pets; one pet owner fed her cat the food as a birthday present, only to have the cat suffer kidney failure. It's sad to think of.

It was ALL over my livejournal friends' list this weekend. And on Snopes. And on Consumerist. While I appreciate the warning, being a cat owner and all, I was fighting the urge to beat the next person to bring it up by Monday afternoon.

Josh and I do not have any of the brands that went bad.

Ironically, most of the brands with the bad ingredient are "special treats" for pets; one pet owner fed her cat the food as a birthday present, only to have the cat suffer kidney failure. It's sad to think of.

As a side note, it was always my experience as a long time but not currently pet owner that feeding at least dogs the same food (brand and generally even flavour) pretty much all of the time was best. The dogs seemed to like it the best, and their digestive systems did too, which the humans liked. :) People tend to anthropomorphize their pets and assume that since they like a varied diet that their dog will too. Treats and such are fine, but the base line food shouldn't change if you can help it.

How that works with cats, I have no idea. I've rarely been responsible for feeding one. Though one of the only examples I can think of was a roommate that had a cat. He fed her mostly dry food, but would sometimes suppliment it with a wide variety of wet foods if she was being picky. He asked me to feed her while he was gone on a 4 or 5 day trip. I agreed. The first day she wouldn't eat the dry food. I left it out. She ate it the next day, and each day afterwords. My roomie commented on how active she was (being a 17 year old) when he got back. :)

Ick. And thanks for the links. Without knowing anything other than there was a problem with pet food' date=' I wasn't having much luck in a search.[/quote']

You'd have been better off searching news.google instead of regular google. Assuming you were googling in the first place.

As a side note, it was always my experience as a long time but not currently pet owner that feeding at least dogs the same food (brand and generally even flavour) pretty much all of the time was best. The dogs seemed to like it the best, and their digestive systems did too, which the humans liked. :) People tend to anthropomorphize their pets and assume that since they like a varied diet that their dog will too. Treats and such are fine, but the base line food shouldn't change if you can help it.

How that works with cats, I have no idea. I've rarely been responsible for feeding one. Though one of the only examples I can think of was a roommate that had a cat. He fed her mostly dry food, but would sometimes suppliment it with a wide variety of wet foods if she was being picky. He asked me to feed her while he was gone on a 4 or 5 day trip. I agreed. The first day she wouldn't eat the dry food. I left it out. She ate it the next day, and each day afterwords. My roomie commented on how active she was (being a 17 year old) when he got back. :)

Cats will hold out for what they think they can get. If there's just dry food, consistently, they'll eat it. But if there's wet food, they'll eat that. If there's consistently wet food then dry food again, they'll pout until the wet food comes back. If it doesn't, they'll settle for the dry food again, but under protest.

In general, at least. Our fat kitty likes dry food best, and ignores treats.

Cats will hold out for what they think they can get. If there's just dry food, consistently, they'll eat it. But if there's wet food, they'll eat that. If there's consistently wet food then dry food again, they'll pout until the wet food comes back. If it doesn't, they'll settle for the dry food again, but under protest.

In general, at least. Our fat kitty likes dry food best, and ignores treats.

My standard take with all pets has always been that I will give them food that is good for them. If they are hungry, they'll eat it. If there is an actual problem, I'll certainly look into it. If they are just being picky, they will eventually get hungry enough to eat. If it takes more than a day or two, I'll take them to a vet to see if there is anything wrong.

If it sounds like I am cold and unlikeable to pets, I'm not. I have gotten along wonderfully with every pet I've ever had, and most other pets that I've met as well. I just let them know that I am in charge, and am more than happy to pet/play with them as long as they realize the basic nature of our association. It has always worked well for me.