The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm curious who's told you such an attitude makes you cold or unlikeable. Boundaries are a good thing' date=' whether you're talking about pets or kids. Especially consistent ones.[/quote']

Eh, I've been told a when explaining how I treat pets that my animals must have always feared me. Particularly the "if they get hungry enough, they'll eat" bit. I can't think of anyone here that has, but I've heard it before. *shrug* Not a big deal. :)

Oh, and obviously, I agree that consistant boundaries are important. :D

How weird.

That was the attitude my mother had toward feeding our cats, and they never wanted for extra padding. I've never had a cat so picky he (or she) wouldn't eat what I put down.

Kind of my opinion too, obviously. But I'll frequently throw in the "disclaimer" anyway.

I've known people that were going crazy with their dog. He kept having digestive problems, and would often show little interest in the food. I clued in on the problem when they mentioned that they kept buying different foods for him, trying to find one that he liked. My advice to them was to ask their vet what a good brand was, and buy that and stick with it. Get the exact same brand, exact same flavour for at least a month. Only if they were still having problems after a month should they get more advice about what to do. After a few weeks of getting the same food every meal the dog stopped being picky, calmed down (while actually being more energetic), and stopped having GI problems. :)

And I too have never had a pet that wouldn't eventually eat the food given to them. And I've never actually had to go to the "take them to the vet" stage that I mentioned, so it is still a theoretical at this point. ;)

Those times our cats have consistently refused regular food, we have discovered that they had good reason. Most recent one was: the bottom of the bag had somehow got wet (we think one of the kids kicked the water dish) and the stuff at the bottom was molding. There wasn't anything visibly wrong with the stuff at top (half-full bag) but then it's not like I give the cat food a serious sniff or taste test.

My working theory now, with our cats, is that they have divided the universe into stuff which is their business, with the rest being humans' business. Doors and the miracle of transubstantiation (i.e., the rendering of metal cylinders into cat food) are obvious cases of necessarily human business. But they also hold us responsible for the weather (we get chewed out when it snows, and when it's raining too hard). And, remarkably, they have also come to us when something inobvious is wrong with them. Wounds, insect bites & stings, etc., are obvious in their opinion (although we've had to do the open-the-abcess-and-irrigate-it thing more than once, and they don't like that). But other stuff ... well, Loki came to me, making clear "verbal" complaint, when his urinary tract problems first struck and he couldn't pee.

OTOH, they have their own preferences, and they are reluctant to try new stuff. It's been only in the last two weeks that either of them would try ice cream. And although they eat minced raw chicken heart quite happily, neither of them will touch raw chicken liver. Felix, who spent a few weeks living out on the street, is more liberal in his interpretations of what constitutes cat food (he once tried to take a bite out of a burger my wife was eating, and originally was willing to make a go at pizza crusts), but there are odd limits even within that.

Herc and Jeff have it very ingrained into their brains what counts as their food, and what counts as our food. Never do the twain meet.

Risu, on the other hand, eats EVERYTHING. Or very nearly so. I offered her a pole bean the other night, which she gladly snapped up, then stared at me for more. She likes to clean my bowl after I've eaten oatmeal. (I don't complain because it makes the bowl easier to wash afterwards.) She goes absolutely insane for olives, much to my puzzlement. She's eaten tortilla chips, waffle fries and donuts, fruit filling and all.

I was willing to call it a sugar thing, or maybe even a starch thing, until the olives.

My late Cassandra was SO proud of herself the time she stole a piece of steak right off my fork. She must have timed my eating rythym because she managed to be in grab position when the food was at the exact right height that she could walk by and snatch and grab without stopping - and get back to the floor quick. She was a smart cat.

Boundaries are a good thing' date=' whether you're talking about pets or kids. Especially consistent ones.[/quote']

Exactly. Possibly more important with dogs, who need a heirachical structure, and get anxious when the "pecking order" is unclear. No one who's ever actually seen us with our dog would think we're mean or uncaring. But we're the Alphas; that means we set the rules. Everyone's much happier since we figured that out.

Eh' date=' I've been told a when explaining how I treat pets that my animals must have always feared me. Particularly the "if they get hungry enough, they'll eat" bit. [/quote']

Unfortunately even reasonable discipline has become such a four-letter word with some people that setting any kind of boundaries -- either with kids or pets -- is considered cruel & unusual. ;)

I've found some cats like a varied diet, others like ONE thing. But usually, they like some sort of routine. archermoo is right, most will eat whatever. I tend to go for higher end such as Wysong. We're currently feeding Natural Value and Natural Choice to most of ours, which are pretty good. Many people advocate making your own.

We also lean away from most fish. There are enough cats that actually don't do that well on it.

Our cat with the renal failure will eat one thing only and that's Purina UR diet pouch food. All the other cats think it must be the very best thing in the world.

So we have to lock the boys out of her room so she can eat.

On the recall, there are some canned foods, but mostly those with gravy involved. Good to double check, but even if the brand and type are the same, check the product codes.

One story comes from Oregon.

Ah. That would explain it. Your data and input relies on people playing (or running) Turakian Age. Of Herophiles, Fantay Herophiles are a minority. Of Fantasy Herophiles, I would guess that about 50% of them play Turakian Age. Of that minority, many of them don't visit the boards.

So you're looking at a low sample size.

I have had sessions of whacking my head against a wall that were more productive than that conversation. :mad:

"If it isn't in stock, you take it out of inventory."

"But it's still in our department."

"But you said you take it out for guide trips."

"Yeah, and if it breaks, we replace it with another one from stock, and take that out of inventory when we do the return to vendor."

"If you're taking it out of stock, you need to physically remove it from inventory."

"But we still sell it."

"Then leave it in inventory."

"But we use it for guide services, so it isn't in the store."

"Then take it out."

"But then we sell it for a discount before the warranty is up."

. . .

Why didn't you say so in the FIRST place? :mad:

Total waste of 20 minutes. I could've been eating my late lunch by now . . .

Ah. That would explain it. Your data and input relies on people playing (or running) Turakian Age. Of Herophiles, Fantay Herophiles are a minority. Of Fantasy Herophiles, I would guess that about 50% of them play Turakian Age. Of that minority, many of them don't visit the boards.

So you're looking at a low sample size.

Sure, confuse the issue with logic.

:) I confess, the Fantasy Hero section of the boards makes me feel unloved somedays, but as you point out, a lot of that is because I'm interesting the TA setting and not many others are.

FH is the redheaded stepchild of Hero. It's the best system for the genre, but in 4th ed. it got hamstrung by the 'universal system' fad that screwed up the game balance and added 'embellishments' like spell colleges. And supportwise, FH was virtually ignored compared to Champions. DOJ has improved on this issue greatly but there is always room for improvement.

I've known people that were going crazy with their dog. He kept having digestive problems, and would often show little interest in the food. I clued in on the problem when they mentioned that they kept buying different foods for him, trying to find one that he liked. My advice to them was to ask their vet what a good brand was, and buy that and stick with it. Get the exact same brand, exact same flavour for at least a month. Only if they were still having problems after a month should they get more advice about what to do. After a few weeks of getting the same food every meal the dog stopped being picky, calmed down (while actually being more energetic), and stopped having GI problems. :)

That was the first thing we were taught in Dog Food 101 (yeah, we had a two day seminar on dog food, what all the terms mean and how to sell it), get the dog on one good quality food, feed him that consistantly, use treats if you feel the dog needs them. Don't think that just because the same food over and over is boring for you, then it is for your dog as well.

If you're going to change foods on your dog, you have to do it gradually, over time--mix a little in with the old food, then mix a little more, until you're giving the new food directly. If you don't you can have digestive upset.

Sounds like your friends did everything wrong. Good catch.

We had to switch our old lady cat over to Purina OM because, well, she's too fat and it's creating issues with the arthritis. She grumped for a few days, and then decided that it's good stuff.

And, of course, our idiot younger cat responds like Lemming's others; that stuff must be special, hence he's got to have it too.

D