The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Just this person who needs to double check facts before making herself look like an idiot. This is the third time she's done it though.

"Remember when you told me to always check the numbers three times? Well, I just did it ten times."

"Very good! I like it when one of my workers is thorough."

"And here are my ten answers!"

So, today, around 11:30 we lost power. Apparently a squirril commited suicide in a tremendous way and knocked out power for most of the south of my town. Then when the power came back on at 3:45PM, our server did not. So we called. At 5:45 it was decided that they would have to send someone out to our branch.

At 7:30 he called and said he couldn't make it.

we had to do a "Hard Down" proceedure in which we balanced everything by hand and nothing came out right. Then at 7:50 we left. We close at 7:00. I was scheduled 8:45 - 5:45. They'll give me the hours back somewhere this week but I still have to help go through all this stuff and post it tomorrow.

Ugh. This is looking like a great week.

Hm. It had been a while since I last encountered crippleware, so when I had it rubbed in face last night it was irritating. Looks like I was able to code part 1 of the test for it (the case of no crippling). We'll see tonight if that can handle the other case.

It'd be less irritating if I didn't have to choose between a library version that wasn't intentionally crippled but was dependent upon another, no longer supported, broken library, and one that is intentionally crippled, doesn't use the old broken library, but is as yet only in beta so it is not yet determined whether it's broken in a different way. Even the dodge "this feature not yet implemented" would be less annoying (since it's a beta) than "Buy the Pro version if you want this" at this point.

Even more astonishing about this library version: it does fast conditional searches on a text representation the values. As an example, where I had for a search on the personId column of a table

smean = [x['mean'] for x in self.serumLevelTable.where(personId == pInfo['id'])]

you now have to write out the value you're to search for to a string first, and then pass that string to be interpreted before it does the search, e.g.,

condition = "personId == %d"%pInfo['id']

smean = [x['mean'] for x in self.serumLevelTable.where( condition )]

My initial response on realizing this was vulgar, profane, scatological, and blasphemous, very shortly followed by "How unspeakably lame."

I've done things like that before myself, I admit, but I am ashamed of them, and would never have the gall to publish that in a manual of a library that I expect others to use as the required syntax.

The people who wrote the software library did it in such a way that Cancer has to write twice as much code to do the same thing. It is especially dumb because it's busywork code; the computer ought to be able to figure that out by itself.

For no reason I can discern, my back has been bothering me recently. Bad enough that even after taking soma compound w/codene pills, I missed half-a-day of work. AFter taking the last of my pills this morning, I'm not just sore, but light-headed and not all there. I can;t see the doc till tomorrow afternoon, by which time my back will have had plenty of time to get stiff and seize up all over again. And I was going to help folks move this weekend. And yes, I offered to do so. A girl I really, really, really like is also helping with the move. The sooner we get done, the more time we get togther afterwards. ONly now, I may not be able to make it up there at all.

::sigh::

The people who wrote the software library did it in such a way that Cancer has to write twice as much code to do the same thing. It is especially dumb because it's busywork code; the computer ought to be able to figure that out by itself.

Old Man has it right, but there's some aggravating factors that make this even dumber. This "where" code is supposed to be using a feature to make searching through a big file much faster.

But converting between a number stored in the machine to the human-readable series of characters that a human can understand as the number is, in general, a very slow operation, much slower than doing arithmetic, or copying values around, or anything that uses just the machine representation of the number.

So in order to use this speed-up utility, I have to use one of the slowest standard operations available. It makes no sense.

Another analogy to get across just how dumb this is. The code there is just to search through a big table of numbers until you find a particular value (the target value is stored in pInfo['id']).

What the program is doing is writing down the number, handing that to another program, and let it do the search. In effect, it's like you handing a catalog number to a librarian, letting the librarian find the right book, and hand it to you. But the rigamarole of writing it out as a string and handing it off is (to the computer) like insisting you had to write the catalog number on a set of 3-by-5-cards, one digit to a card, and hand the resultant stack to the librarian in order to get the search done. It's a really stupid and inefficient way to do things.

They are sending one of the rudeist employees we have down to Florida Sunday night. He will be adding springs to a part that did not get the springs before we shipped them to the customer.

They are sending said employee because he is the bosses PITA son.

Our only hope is that the gators down there aren't picky when it comes to food.

*Please note, this is not my being jealous. I could care less about being the one chosen. It's just me being cranky because they're sending someone so rude and arrogent.*

So I finally get to see the doctor to get Rxs for my back pains and insomnia.

Getting the drugs, however, was a mis-adventure all on its own.

My first stop was a local CVS, but even thought it was only 4:45, the pharmacy was closed. For reasons I never learned, they didn't have a pharmacist, ergo, no pharmacy. Then I head for the local Giant. They have the halcion and steroids, but not the soma - which is the one I really need. They call other local Giants, and even other pharmacies - no one has it. I have them give me the paper for the other two Rx's so I can go get them all filled elsewhere. A quick search on Mapquest identifies a different CVS not so far away no one else mentioned - and that I had forgotten about. I call, they have it, so off I go. However, when they fill the soma Rx, the pharmacist tells me that, according to the computer, the other two Rx's I have were already filled It seems those geniuses at the Giant never cancelled anything when they gave me the paper back. And, of course, when we try to call that Giant (both the pharmacist and I were trying to get through) we are greeted with busy-signals and long stretches on hold.

Eventually, she gets through, they cancel it, and I get my pills.

OddHat doesn't want me to take the Ambien CR anymore as I get stumbly and silly. Instead of being up all night tossing and turning I was up all night chattering and giggling.

Maybe I should just stop with the sleep medications. They don't seem to work anymore. Ambien can be habit forming too.

OddHat can drop off in 3 seconds like Old Man, which according to the sleep hygine book is not good either. It means you aren't sleeping enough. For Old Man it's understandable.

Will try the stress - relief exercises suggested.