Power Trick For Heat Vision

Brick

Re: Power Trick For Heat Vision

I use both myself :D

For a one-time trick as a desperation move, it's a use of the Power Skill roll and/or PS: Spot Welding.

As a regular schtick the player plans to use more than just once or twice, it's a Transform -- one that might be RSR: Mechanics or PS: Spot Welder.

In my campaign, I'd call it a Power Skill roll if it was used just for "coolness" sake or when it's a creative way to solve a minor problem. If it was for something "major," like fixing a focus or the like...something that could be materially useful on a regular basis...I'd make the player build a Transform. Remember, a minor Transform like that will be pretty cheap, and the Power Skill roll costs points, so it's not like they're so different game-balance-wise.

There's nothing wrong with building multipowers with naked advantages and things in each slot to tack onto a power you intend to make great use of, as long as point limits are taken into account. Transforms, various attack mods (AoE, AP, whatever), some skill levels if you can con your GM into them... it's a pretty handy tool for someone with one power they intend to rely on quite a bit. I imagine this is how Cyclops manages so many effects with essentially a single power.

I am going to ask what is so wrong with simply using the Heat Vision to *attack* the sheets of metal? Being able to weld them back together is part of the SFX of Heat based powers as opposed to Vibration attacks.

All the "Buy everything" craze shortchanges the game, and enforces too many limits on the creativity of players. At the worst allow Power skill to make the stunt work.

Hawksmoor

I would lean towards this method myself. Of course, it is really more like remote laser welding, rather than spot welding, since there is no physical contact.

SkyKnight

I use both myself :D

For a one-time trick as a desperation move, it's a use of the Power Skill roll and/or PS: Spot Welding.

As a regular schtick the player plans to use more than just once or twice, it's a Transform -- one that might be RSR: Mechanics or PS: Spot Welder.

All the "Buy everything" craze shortchanges the game' date=' and enforces too many limits on the creativity of players. At the worst allow Power skill to make the stunt work.[/quote']I agree. But I don't think it is unreasonable for the GM to require the character to have Power Skill simply to justify having such a level of control over his powers. Three points is a very small price to pay for such flexibility. Of course, Power Skill doesn't guarantee the attempted trick will work. The PC might still blow the roll.

...the "Buy everything" craze shortchanges the game' date=' and enforces too many limits on the creativity of players. At the worst allow Power skill to make the stunt work.[/quote']

My only problem is when the players expect to do the stunt predictably on a regular basis. I made the team gadgeteer buy a Transform slot to reflect his ability to do "MacGuyver" style stunts of making effective tools/weapons from household cleaners and other miscellania for example, because I knew it was something he wasn't going to do just once or twice.

I agree. But I don't think it is unreasonable for the GM to require the character to have Power Skill simply to justify having such a level of control over his powers. Three points is a very small price to pay for such flexibility. Of course' date=' Power Skill doesn't guarantee the attempted trick will work. The PC might still blow the roll.[/quote']

What about applying the "Fine manipulation" 10 point adder from TK?

What about applying the "Fine manipulation" 10 point adder from TK?
I think that's a bit overpriced. And I agree that if the "Skill" effect is used constantly it probably should be purchased, perhaps as a slot in a MP. But I don't think you can come up with a hard and fast rule for everyone; I think such things will have to be decided on a case by case basis by the GM and taking into account both the character concept and the player. We all know some players will abuse such things; others will not.

I am going to ask what is so wrong with simply using the Heat Vision to *attack* the sheets of metal? Being able to weld them back together is part of the SFX of Heat based powers as opposed to Vibration attacks.

All the "Buy everything" craze shortchanges the game, and enforces too many limits on the creativity of players. At the worst allow Power skill to make the stunt work.

Hawksmoor

I have to agree with Hawksmoor on this one. :cool:

For a Supers/Champions game special effects like this are the one thing that should come closest to being 'free' the way that normal items/weapons are in an heroic level game. Going down the road of forcing players to define everything a character can possibly do encourages a wargame mentality in some.

Others did bring up valid points in that if the player plans on taking advantage of said ability on a regular basis he should pay for it. I would try and avoid that type of confrontation with the player by just building the power for him by use of GM perogative to assign a portion of experience to players over a series of games. That way the player doesn't have to build it and you as the GM don't have to approve what the player builds. You already did it! :coach:

Would you let Fire characters set thing on fire? Cold EB freeze water? lasers go through glass? Magnetic characters wipe tapes ?

Its part of the SFX, if not alot of super creativity is lost if no on the fly use of powers is allowed ( i have to pre build my inspiration ). If it really gives people worrys theres the more complicated way of actually building the enviroment with powers effects and lims ( gee 20pt lim paper burns x2 effect from fire , ). Tapes are vulnerable to magnetics, magnetic EB will fry any tape it comes near cos its the tapes description.

The enviroment does actually exist independant of the characters bought powers.

Str can be used for many things by default, give the other powers a break as well.

Couldnt agree more.

and i agree about the Big wrap, i personally could wrap someone in a rope should i pay for the priviledge? er no..... and if rope is made of flexible Adamantium fibre should i pay even more? how much is the def cost of adamantiun anyway.

maybe i shoud pay for the rope thing , in bucks ( before some one else notices )