Stopping time

Brutal

Re: Stopping time

Originally posted by Brutal

How do you create a power that stops time?

First you have to define what you mean by stopping time. Do you mean stopping time for one person you are attacking, stopping time for an area you are attacking, or stopping time for everything?

Here are a few attack options:

#1: Time Decrease: Speed Drain. You train your target's Speed. Each successive hit makes him slower and slower. When he gets to 0 Speed he can do nothing at all (this is a balanced way of doing it, thus not making the character too powerful).

#2: Time Jump: Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As Attack. You move the character out of the time stream and have it reappear one minute in the future, hopefully after you have beaten all the other villains (this is an unbalanced version because for only a few points you can make every villain useless quickly).

#3: Temporal Entangle: Buy an Entangle with the Takes No Damage Advantage. The character is frozen in place and can be damaged by outside attacks (this can be powerful and weak at that same time).

All these options can be used Area of Effect if you want a Time Stop over an area. You can also add Mega-Scale to the AE if you want something to cover 1km or more.

Keep in mind that while Time Stop works well in comic books (where the writer controls the story), players can get excessive with such a power and entirely forget about genre and continuity when using it. My simple rule is, if a player buys a power and expects to use it all the time he should think how he would feel if a villain had the power and used it against him all the time. If your only purpose in the game is to win, then do whatever you want. But if your purpose of playing is to emulate comics and the genre then you should always use "absolute" powers sparingly. That way it is fun for all.

Re: Re: Stopping time

Originally posted by Monolith

First you have to define what you mean by stopping time. Do you mean stopping time for one person you are attacking, stopping time for an area you are attacking, or stopping time for everything?

Here are a few attack options:

#1: Time Decrease: Speed Drain. You train your target's Speed. Each successive hit makes him slower and slower. When he gets to 0 Speed he can do nothing at all (this is a balanced way of doing it, thus not making the character too powerful).

#2: Time Jump: Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As Attack. You move the character out of the time stream and have it reappear one minute in the future, hopefully after you have beaten all the other villains (this is an unbalanced version because for only a few points you can make every villain useless quickly).

#3: Temporal Entangle: Buy an Entangle with the Takes No Damage Advantage. The character is frozen in place and can be damaged by outside attacks (this can be powerful and weak at that same time).

All these options can be used Area of Effect if you want a Time Stop over an area. You can also add Mega-Scale to the AE if you want something to cover 1km or more.

Keep in mind that while Time Stop works well in comic books (where the writer controls the story), players can get excessive with such a power and entirely forget about genre and continuity when using it. My simple rule is, if a player buys a power and expects to use it all the time he should think how he would feel if a villain had the power and used it against him all the time. If your only purpose in the game is to win, then do whatever you want. But if your purpose of playing is to emulate comics and the genre then you should always use "absolute" powers sparingly. That way it is fun for all.

Good stuff there, I'll look into it

Re: Stopping time

Originally posted by Brutal

How do you create a power that stops time?

Entangle with: NND +1, transparent to attacks +½, cannot be escaped with teleportation +¼, affects desolidified +½, cannot form barriers –¼, entangle has 1 Body –½.

Just add Area of Effect and Personal Immunity for stopping more than one opponent. Freeze time, and walk through the area...note that this version would also stop anything coming into the Entangle's radius. And, of course, with the Personal Immunity, the attacker can walk right through the affected area.

A way to limit this obviously powerful ability is to make it reliant on Endurance for its duration.

--->M@ss

PS: Below are sample time powers I made for a villain in my campaign. And, yes, he's supposed to be ungodly tough.

Multipower: Time Mastery (side FX: random time portal opens if powers are dispelled -1) Active: 180, Real: 90

1) Decay Field (force field, 45 PD/ED, protects carried items) Active: 110, Real: 11 - any attack that reaches him is slowed in time to have no effect.

2) Decay Damage Field (damage shield +½, 4d6 energy blast, NND +1, does Body +1, linked to Decay Field –½) Active: 60, Real: 6 - anything that touches the decay field ages rapidly

3) Decay Blast (12d6 energy blast, NND +1, does Body +1) Active: 180, Real: 18 - aging blast

4) Freeze Time (5d6 entangle, NND +1, transparent to attacks +½, cannot be escaped with teleportation +¼, affects desolidified +½, cannot form barriers –¼, entangle has 1 Body –½) Active: 50, Real: 5

5) Freeze Time In Area (4d6 entangle, area of effect radius selective +1¼, NND +1, transparent to attacks +½, cannot be escaped with teleportation +¼, affects desolidified +½, cannot form barriers –¼, entangle has 1 Body –½) Active: 150, Real: 15

6) De-Age Target (6d6 major transform, usable on self +¼, improved target group (any younger age) +¼, targets heal back at Body rate unless he doesn’t want to +¼) Active: 157.5, Real: 16

7) Age Target (6d6 major transform, usable on self +¼, improved target group (any older age) +¼, targets heal back at Body rate unless he doesn’t want to +¼) Active: 157.5, Real: 16

8) Accelerate Healing (18d6 healing, injuries must be healable without medical intervention or with some first aid done –¼) Active: 140, Real:14

9) Cleanse the Body (life support, full) Active: 45, Real: 4.5

10) Speed Time, Personal (+6 Speed, +40 Dexterity, costs END +½) Real: 120, Active: 12

11) Speed Time, Other (+3 Speed, +14 Dexterity, usable by 4 others simultaneously +1½, ranged +½) Active: 180, Real: 18

12) Slow Time Field (drain 6d6 [split between Speed and Dexterity], area of effect radius selective +1¼)

13) Decay Missiles (missile deflection, at range +1, all ranged attacks) Active: 40, Real: 4

14) Suppress (12d6, all time powers +2) Active: 180, Real: 18

15) Dispel (46d6, any time power one at a time +¼) Active: 175, Real: 17.5

16) Time Jump (extradimensional travel through time, only twelve seconds forward or backward in time for up to twelve seconds, 226x weight [67,000,000 lbs]) Active: 50, Real: 5

17) Time Scan (mind scan, cannot attack through link –1, 36d6) Active: 90, Real: 9

18) Chronocognition (clairsentience: sight, hearing, smell, past, future, vague and unclear –½, 222 x range, range: 330,000 miles) Active: 120, Real: 12

19) Superchronocognition (clairsentience: sight, hearing, smell, past, future, vague and unclear –½, megascale +1½ [350,000,000 miles]) Active: 140, Real: 14

20) Superranged Chronocognition (clairsentience: sight, hearing, smell, past, future, vague and unclear – ½, megascale +2½ [35 billion kms], x4 END –1) Active: 140, Real: 14

Other powers include:

Invisible to Time (invisibility to clairsentience and any time-based sense +¼, no fringe, 0 END +½, persistent +½, Multipower must be active –½) 45

Sense Chronal Currents (detect eddies in the time stream, as a sense, n-ray, 360 degree perception, discriminatory, analyze, +20 Perception, +10 vs. range, Multipower must be active –½) 40

Hi Guys,

A REALLY simple way to build a power that allows the character to step out of the flow of time is teleport with a limitiation that the character must be able to climb or walk to the target location. This version means that when the character is out of the flow of time they can't interact with the real world BUT if you link in some overall levels you can get a but of cool effects.

+ I go out of the flow of time and study the lock really closely. I then go back into the flow of time and pick it. (Combat TP with levels put toward a lock picking roll. The levels would offset penalties for taking little time.)

+ I go out of the flow of time and move behind Green Dragon. I study his position then start moving again and let him have it. (Combat TP with levels put in OCV.)

Depends on what effect you want...you don't have to get complicated. If you want more complication you could add Change Environment only objects the time traveller is holding. This way watches stop and such. Again...only if you want that level of complexity. ;)

Depends on the effect you want, a good "Functional" form I have developed follows, note this is still insanly expensive:

Time Stop, all slots: 1 Recoverable Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/2)

100 1) Frozen in Time: Suppress 20d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (13" Radius; +1) (225 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Linked to Frozen in time (-1/4)

21 2) Frozen in time: Flight 4", Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (13" Radius; +1 3/4), Perosnal Immunity (+1/4) (32 Active Points)

24 3) Temporal Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight Group (Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense Group: Mental Group, Additional Sense Group: Radio Group, Additional Sense Group: Smell/Taste Group, Additional Sense Group: Touch Group, No Fringe) (55 Active Points); Linked to Frozen in Time (-1/2), Only for people with Speed 6 or less, speed 6 can see fringe (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 145

If you want something more robust (but still in the local area) increase Suppress, make sure you keep the radiuses together, anyone in the area will not see you moving (Invisibility), be unable to act (the suppress) and not fall (Flight)...Just realised that it would also need Usable underwater on flight, so the costs may be off a touch

There you go, that shoudl do it...

NOte this is not a time stop, but more a time slow power, and some speedsters will still be able to act, but slowley (most speedsters in my experience will be reduced to a 1-2 speed...just not as fast as they use to be are they...

As someone else said, it depends upon how you are meaning 'Stop time'.

To take a target out of time, I would use a version of Entangle covering all senses, including the sense of time and BOECV.

If you want to step out of time yourself, then my favorite way to do that is to just timetravel to

the beginning of the moment until a total of a minute has passed.

Time stop:

Extradimensional movement 20 Any other time +20

Time travel only -1/2, Only travel to a moment ago -1,

Continuous +1, 1 Continuing Charge -1 ( 1 minute ),

OAF ( pocketwatch ) -1, Triggered +1/2 ( Push the button )

( 100 Active, 22 Real )

PLUS Desolid linked -1/2, 1 Continuing charge -1

( 40 active, 16 real )

Total cost 38 real points.

But just like the EDM it is based on, it is definately a {STOP} power.

( But then, so is nearly any time manipulation power )

But this is the only way you get the effect of stepping out of time so you can see bullets in mid-air, falling objects stopped, airplanes stopped dead in flight, etc.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Remember a rock has SPD 0 and still can move around if you throw it.

Yes... And if you Transform someone into a statue, and then throw the statue it moves too, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the person who is a statue cannot move or act under its own power.

Stopping time entirely is tough. I'm better at slowing the world down: I built someone with a "Normal" SPD (Actually I think it was a 4) then I gave him a large dose of SPD with Charges, Duration, and a Focus. When he clicked his stopwatch the world became slower around him and he had time to perform many, many actions.

Would be even easier to do now withe the new modifier in the charges where you can use part of a duration (Fuel, I think it was?).

Stoping time entirely with something like an entangle is tough because generally people don't "break through" a timestop effect. A strong brick would break through one that's STR based, Mentalists would avoid EGO based ones, etc.

Area Effect transform has holes in that it still gives people the ability to "heal back" from it to some degree or be healed back.

The Suppress is good; Very creative.

But it's still easier to just make them slow relative to you (In other words, boost your SPD or DEX).

EDIT: I forgot to add that the main reason it's easier to change you than to directly affect other people is that you otherwise wind up with all the people in the area coming out of the timestop at different intervals. Character #1 gets out in 3 Phases, Character #2 gets out in Two turns, etc, yet then were both in the same timestop affect.

Whereas when you make yourself faster, when that affect wears off, everyone is "released" from the time-slow at the same time.

Time Freeze: Extra-Dimensional Movement (back through time to the start of the user's action this Phase), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points), Total Cost: 60 Points plus Attacks of Opportunity: RKA 3d6, Variable Advantage (+2), Variable Special Effects (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (180 Active Points), Linked (-0), Total Cost: 180 Points

Once you activate the Power and restart your actions this Phase, you can move around (make a Half-Move and then re-activate the Time Freeze Power), launch an attack (by using the attack Linked to the Time Freeze Power), or do just about anything else and still remain outside the time stream. Thus, the user gets to act indefinitely and nobody else gets to act at all. Simple, elegant, and completely abusive. ;)

To do the Dio Brando "JoJo's Bizzar Adventure" thing, buy Extra-Dimentinal Movement to "Stop Time" (a dimention which is just like the one you just left, except that no time passes, and eveyone and eveything is 'stuck' in place). To be able to manipulate the 'real' dimention when your in "Stop Time", just buy Transdimentinal on your powers.

Special Note on Stop Time: While your in Stop Time, time only flows for you, so yes, you DO age when your there. And "Stop Time" is not as unihabited as it seems. There are odd looking monsters who float into the air and are constently 'eating' time. I call them "Time Sharks" (Steven King called them Langalears).

Just treat "Stop Time" as another dimention, and you will be fine. Oh, and when you return to our dimention, you arive at the same moment you left, and this MIGHT just create a "paradox effect" (especaly if you can see yourself entering the "Stop Time").

Just my $.02 worth.