Historical Champions

nexus

Re: Historical Champions

Haven't done it yet, but have most certainly thought about it.

Champions: Gaslight,

A superhero saga taking place in the London of Queen Victoria, Charles Dickens, Sweeny Todd, Jack the Ripper and Ruyard Kipling. Three Words, Clockwork Gadeteer Baby!!

Champions: The Blue and The Grey

A Civil War era supers game.

Champions: Seadogs

The champions of the Golden Age of Piracy. The Supers would be the Guardians of the town of Port Royal Jamacia.

Champions: Red October

Communist heros fighting against the decadent forces of the corrupt Rominov regime

Champions: Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity

Supers during the French Revolution.

Just off the top of my head. *S*

Love Always

Xgoth

... and to follow from that, I vaguely remember a rather brief description that transposed the Justice League of America to renaissance Italy. Among others, a character called Il Maestro (alias Carlo di Chiente) and a Batman-analogue in Rome who was a member of the College of Cardinals during the daylight hours...

This isn't as exotic as some here but I ran a pre Civil War campaign beginning during the 1900s pass of Haleys comet. That way the altered children would be old enough to adventure during the Civil War and Wild West.

Personally I'd be happy to see an SB on it but niche markets are hard to make money at or are you talking about a fan effort?

Mutants & Masterminds has the most active licensing out and there was some writing an alternative history book or campaign setting. You might check it out. The listing is at their website under Superlink.

... and to follow from that' date=' I vaguely remember a rather brief description that transposed the Justice League of America to renaissance Italy. Among others, a character called Il Maestro (alias Carlo di Chiente) and a Batman-analogue in Rome who was a member of the College of Cardinals during the daylight hours...[/quote']

I believe that's the 1602 series, isn't it?

I ran a fairly brief Hero campaign set in the late Victorian era. It was essentially a Pulp-esque setting, with a fairly alternate history.

One tip -- make sure your players like and understand the time period in the same way that you do. Also have enough story material to last more than 10 sessions. I ran into serious writers block with it.

I've toyed with trying to run a supers campaign in 14th century Europe. Frankly, though, I'm just too lazy to do the research and preparation to do it up right. Also, most of my ideas end up looking a little too much like Ars Magica with a different rationale for magic... ;)

The thing to remeber about historical settings is that you have to pay attention to the memes floating around. For example, medieval times did beleive in witches but it had two other theories with interesting consequences, based on a belief in an active God who interfered with the human world.

1) They believed in the Divine Right of Kings. The idea that the rulers and nobles were selected by God and granted special qualities.

2) Trial by combat. Obviously God wouldn't let an unjust person win a fight. Therefore combat is a good way to find out who was favoured by God.

Therefore, the consequences of medieval superbeings who are powerful enough to not be burnt . . . .