Stats for the original Champions team

Redmenace

Does anyone know if there were ever published stats for the Champions team that appeared on the 1st-2nd editions of the game, Marksman, a teleporting women in pink and white, Flare, Icestar, Dove and Gargoyle?

If so could you tell me where or list a site that has them.

If this is someone's proprietary info I don't want to rip them off but I'd be interested in knowing what passed for power level etc at the beginning of the game.

Re: Stats for the original Champions team

Rose was the teleporter (heh, just looking for an excuse to play with the toolbar:) ). In the Champions comic from the mid 80s, I believe stats were printed for the comic version of the team (did not include Gargoyle) but those might be hard to find, now. Perhaps one of the old-timers might still have them?

Rose, ah yes. I found a latter version of Flare on the Heroic publishing site but it was very different from what I thought the character was, magic based for instance with that ability.

The reason I ask is that I have in mind a time travel story. In it Mechanon establishes a way to contact and coordinate with all his various versions. The heroes will have to go to various past/future mechanon battles.

I'm thinking that the original Champs would make an interesting original foe to the robot, (however it actually played out), but I'm not clear enough on their powers or levels to stat all of them out.

Does any know what the Marksman did, assuming here he was a talented normal with high tech guns. How about Gargoyle? I was thinking there was a character called Gremlin who had a shared origin or some such with him that might lead to clues as to his abilities.

Thanks in advance

Heh, I guess we haven't gotten the attention of those "in-the-know" yet:/

ABAICR, Marksman was indeed a highly trained normal, with some MA but primarily a ranged combatant using variable f/x blasters (I think). Gargoyle was a pretty standard brick: Tough Skin, Superstrength, Winged Flight.

I've mentioned it before, but (just for fun) I believe Mechanon's first incarnation was as a servant/guardian robot for the Champion's HQ.

PS Flare, again IIRC, was an escaped experiment of one of the villainous organizations. I don't think her origin was magical in nature. She also had a slightly older sister (evil?) with somewhat superior abilities, a parallel to Witchcraft and Talisman.

I beleive Marksman had a Gadget pool and his main thing was Sonics for a special effect, plus the usual skill monger set....his "slot" was later taken by Defender (HI-tech skill monger) Rose was really a early version of Solitare. I think Gargoyle was a flying brick, but he was never published because the creater had plans to use the character him self...the Champ millenium stuff had a version of Marksman as a retired hero who is around to train the new generation. Giant was a straight brick who could toss a few lightning bolts with an OIF harness/bondage gear thing he wore...try the net I remember seeing a site for the old champs comic...I think they plan to bring it back some day and stats might be found there.....

Hey Red, I have the original Champions mini-series, as well as a number of the other series that were published. I think they had some of the characters statted out. Let me check and I'll get back to ya. It might not be until tomorrow though, I'm in the middle of some RL stuff right now. I also have two dozen boxes of comics to shift around and look through. I'll be in touch.

Marksman - skilled normal. Aged slowly, had good martial arts and a sonic rifle.

Flare - an energy projector, aged quickly (at least in the comic) created by neonazis had three evil siblings

Rose - magic based mentalist

Gargoyle - Winged Brick.

Goliath (called Giant in the comic due to legal issues with Marvel) - growth and a lightning bolt - got his powers from a harness made by Zues

Icestar - Iceman clone

Marksman - skilled normal. Aged slowly, had good martial arts and a sonic rifle.

Flare - an energy projector, aged quickly (at least in the comic) created by neonazis had three evil siblings

Gargoyle - Winged Brick.

Goliath (called Giant in the comic due to legal issues with Marvel) - growth and a lightning bolt - got his powers from a harness made by Zues

Icestar - Iceman clone

Basicly, Enforcer is corect. Remember to put "Visabul" on Rose's powers (since each time she uses them, thay produce a smell like her namesake).

As for other members... (who were never shown in the comic book)...

Dove - Alien "power armor". Acualy stuck inside the darn thing (so he dosen't have the Focus limitation).

Air Cobra - I only know his name...flying snake guy?

Mercnarie - Basicly an early draft of The Marksman...trained normal with a militarie background.

Anyone I forgot?

I've never even heard of some of the members. Thanks all, every bit helps.

Aylwin13 I'd really appreciate it and I understand life comes first, thanks.

Most of them I herd of via the dedication in the BBB ("Big Blue Book"). Which reminds me...one was named Mind Maid, a female mentlist wearing a french maid outfit.

Prehaps most of theas, beyond Dove, were only one shot charaters who should never be mentioned ever again.

The stats are in the original Champions (six issues) by Eclipse Comics, and the later series by Heroic Publishing. You can find them from time to time on ebay, not too expensive.

I wouldn't publish the stats unless given permission by whoever has the rights to the intellectual property... perhaps Dennis Mallonee?

Yeah' date=' let me make it clear, I don't want to steal the stats or in any way trod on the rights of the characters creators. I just don't know enough about the originals to mock them up.[/quote']

Flare: Low-level superhuman STR, DEX, and CON, Flight, light EB, Flash, Flash+AVLD EB, extra ED vs light, rPD & ED, Ego & Flash Defense, UV Vision, Susceptible to Darkness, Vulnerable to edged weapons, her light energy floods from the wound.

Icestar: Abilities at or near peak human, greater DEX, ice EB, ice RKA, ice Entangle (regular & area), ice slide "Flight", ice Armor, ice Force Wall, Vulnerable to fire.

Giant: Superhuman STR, Instant Change w/ Harness, Size equivalent to 5 Growth, Growth & electricity Damage Shield from Harness, Armor from Harness, Regeneration, Susceptibility per hour in hero form.

Rose: Superhuman EGO, Ego Attack, Mental Illusions, Telepathy, weak Force Field, Teleport, Ego Defense, Armor costume, Sense Magic, Occult knowledge, Linguist, Vulnerable to iron. Powers create the smell of roses.

Marksman: Superhuman DEX & INT, Gadget Pool, Martial Arts, Scientist, Linguist, Detective, commando and infiltration skills. Sample Gadgets-Sonic Pistol (signature weapon) and Rifle, Sonic Resonator PD Drain (objects only), Auto-Stopper Running Drain vs. Vehicles.

Gargoyle - Winged Brick.

Icestar - Iceman clone

Each Champion was actually a player character. BTW, Rose also had a pink effect, and had (possibly the first) stun-only energy blast.

Aerocobra (I don't recall the spelling) was played by my friend Mike, and I think he was named after a helicopter. Bruce played The Marksman (and corrected you if you forgot 'the'), Tom played Rose, Glen played Icestar, and Gargoyle was actually copywritten by his owner. If you have the old blue book (1st Edition) they are all mentioned by name, but I don't want to out them here.

Each Champion was actually a player character. BTW, Rose also had a pink effect, and had (possibly the first) stun-only energy blast.

Aerocobra (I don't recall the spelling) was played by my friend Mike, and I think he was named after a helicopter. Bruce played The Marksman (and corrected you if you forgot 'the'), Tom played Rose, Glen played Icestar, and Gargoyle was actually copywritten by his owner. If you have the old blue book (1st Edition) they are all mentioned by name, but I don't want to out them here.

Who did you play?

inquiering herogeeks want to know

Who did you play?

inquiering herogeeks want to know

Jeez, dude. I played a bunch of folks that never made the book. One of my villains was invited into the original Enemies, but since I knew he was a blatant Terminator rip-off, I declined. I knew a lot of these guys, but I didn't game with the Champions.

Since I don't know his real name, by process of elimination either Force, Mercenary, or Dove.

Unless Maelstrom's name is Stacy, in which case it would be Mind Maid.

I used to hang with, and even play chess with, Stacy's brother Kirby. I was up at Kirby's house a lot.

Maelstrom' date=' would you happen to remember Gargoyle's powers? I've been told it was basically a flying brick set but his appearance being a bit exotic suggests something more, a hka or regen.[/quote']

Sorry, dude. That was 23 years ago, or so, and I barely remember the original MAELstrom build, or what I had for breakfast. Brick with an HKA, and OAF wings, I'm pretty sure. There was an argument at one time whether they could be removed . . .

Jeez' date=' dude. I played a bunch of folks that never made the book. One of my villains was invited into the original Enemies, but since I knew he was a blatant Terminator rip-off, I declined. I knew a lot of these guys, but I didn't game with the Champions.[/quote']

:rofl:

sorry, was I drooling over the boards again?

I am a trivia buff. I love to know this stuff. Thanks for the info you've provided Maelstrom, I hope I wasn't sounding rabid fanboyish :D

I'ts a pity that the originals never saw print, save for the comic, and I've heard differing views as to how accurate that was...

I've used them as "the Forefathers of the Modern Age" once or twice and written up my interpretation of them, but still whistfully dream of seeing how their original creators would update them to 5th Ed.

There goes that drool again...