Things that work in comics but don't work in Champions

nexus

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Things that work in comics but don't work in Champions

Actually, I and many of my players like grab and throw for two reasons:

1. It lets you go "bowling for characters" and possibly hit more than one person. Especially if you consider it an AOE attack(after all that character is basically a hex wide).

2. It's a good way to take a guy down to half DCV, which is really useful for guys that have decent CVs but take a lot of pounding.

Well, in my games it seems like the players like to look at their opponents just like they do any other part of the scenery. If they get the chance they use EVERYTHING as a weapon of opportunity. 'Course, in one of Stray Cat's games we had what we termed the "Brute Squad" as every PC in the group was walking around with at least a Str of 45. Much horrible damage was wrecked upon villains with that team.

Mike W. Superskrull, thanks for the feedback.

If you treat the thrown character as an area effect attack, that would change things.

(looks at own character sheet - Last Hero, three levels of Growth Always On, therefore already a one hex area effect, and potentially throw-able) That's something to look out for, definitely. And use too, when occasion offers.

The bigger they are the harder they might fall-on their team-mates. :)

Basically....any sort of dramatic action that the players know will be ineffective.

Example: The players won't Entangle Grond....even if it seems logical...cause the players know he'll easily break free.

Running adventures where the players are separated is difficult as well(but not impossible).

Adventures which pit the players against each other. Most of the time characters won't even disagree with each other in game.

Rob

Note I said characters....NOT players. Basically, when it hits the fan, there's no dissension...ever....unlike most real comic book teams where Storm and Wolverine discuss the morality of using his claws in the middle of a fight.

Rob

I did note that, and I'm still going to say "Ha!" I've just seen plenty of in-character disagreements. *shrug*

I'm playing a character with no resistant defenses and I have had no problem. If you understand that you cannot wade into the thick of combat you will do fine. I play a support role. I am not the guy to go in there and deliver the smack down. I do not put myself in positions where I have to rely on resistant defenses. If you play it smart' date=' you won't have a problem.[/quote']

If I were a GM, when playing callous, unethical heroes with a high intelligence, I would hunt you down with a vengeance. Not what I consider poor GMing, because there are plenty of villains who wouldn't do such a thing, but there are those who would, and I would do it when they came up. Two phases of submachine gun on Autofire, and if you live, you'd probably want to get some rDEF. You don't always get to determine the terms of the fight - sometimes the fight comes to you.

Other things that work poorly in RPGs:

7. Teams of varying power levels

8. Depowering superheroes

9. Supertech (time machines, starships, etc)

I did the depowering thing once. I was actually alot of fun and it was hilarious to see the PC's run from threats they wouldn't have even worried about with their powers. I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once though.

I had a mutant PC balk at the idea of protecting anti mutant protestors when a radical mutant group attacked them and actually walk away from the fight. The team leader (A Chivalorous "Boy scout" type) was trying to talk him back over the team comm while the battle was going on. Great RP in that scene.

Note I said characters....NOT players. Basically, when it hits the fan, there's no dissension...ever....unlike most real comic book teams where Storm and Wolverine discuss the morality of using his claws in the middle of a fight.

Rob

My experience has been in general the opposite of that. Many more arguments between characters than players in my experience. I personally have had characters that blocked and missile deflected for bad guys because the attack going at them would likely have killed them and the character had a strong CvK. I've also had characters b!tchslapped for killing bad guys out of hand because it was expedient. Heck, one session we had the bad guys get away because the PCs ended up fighting each other (it was an introductory session). Several sessions later we were a fairly well knit team.

You know, in my campaign we've

1. Had 300 pt characters alongside 600 pt characters, with no problems and no jealousy.

2. Split up into separate missions for individuals or small groups.

3. Had the PCs get a hold of a starship and quite a bit of advanced tech, that has yet to be abused (or forgotten after a few "issues").

4. Had PCs with CvK argue about what attacks the PCs without CvK should use.

5. Had one PC argue with and manipulate other PCs "for their own good". And none of the players got upset.

6. Used Grab-and-Throw tactics effectively* as the GM against the PCs, in the fight they're most embarrased about ("Dude! The monkeys kicked our @$$!").

I haven't had the no resistant DEF come up - because I insist that everyone has at least a little rPD/rED, even if it's only Combat Luck.

* Enemy Grabs-and-Throws one PC out of the group, into a group of the enemy's allies - who then gang-beat on the Prone PC. When the PCs try to help their teammate, repeat on another one. Takes a few henchmen, but it can be brutal for agent tactics.

• 3 weeks later...

Not from me! :D I don't even know who The Authority are. Until I read the name on the HERO boards yesterday, I never heard the name. I assume it's a comic book.

Characters without resistant DEF can be fine if they are smart. Whenever I start a new campaign, I hand out a little 5 page description of the world, character creation guidelines etc. In it, I always emphasis the guns KILL! Then as GM, I try to give fair warning that the bad guys have guns. Cover does wonders when used. However, when the wolf-boy hero observed a set of assult rifle wielding guards from cover, and he chose to charge straight at them from a distance, he caught a case of the deads. No PCs ever die from stray fire. I am playing a PC for the first time in many years now. An 89 year old super-scientist. When fighting starts, Prof. Genesis leaves. I know my charcters purpose is to get the team through the clues, and turn off the doomsday weapon, not be anywhere near killing attacks (or any attack really)