Conan vs. Elric

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Conan vs. Elric

You guys are missing the obvious here. Stormbringer, upon seeing Conan, would decide that he would make a much better pawn, and engineer the fight so that Elric would lose. Then Stormbringer would find a way to get Conan under its thrall so that it could use him to spread Chaos. Blood and Souls for my lord Arioch!! (Was that last part out loud? Sorry.)

Stormbringer beats Conan hands down. Elric himself would pretty much be puddy in Conan's hands however.

Essentially Conan would be the guy that brings a big knife to an artifact fight.

Skill has nothing to do with it, he's just outmatched by the overpowered Magic Item.

Bah. He's been there, done that, by Mitra.

:yawn:

:D

It all depends on whether Elric and Conan are enemies or allies. If the former then Elric' date=' who fails at everything he attempts, will never kill him in a million years. If, on the other hand, Conan has foolishly allied himself with Elric then the Cimmerian is dead meat. Elric will lose control of Stormbringer and it'll suck out Conan's soul. Or he'll summon a god who'll kill everyone in a 5 mile radius.[/quote']

Yes yes yes! Totally perfect!

Lets face it, Stormbringer wants to end the World and won't be satisfied that anything gets in the way. Should it ever look like Conan is going to get his way then it would simply summon other manifestations of the Eternal Champion in a tag team matchup. So you have Elric plus Hawkmoon plus Corum plus... blah blah blah :-)

Its been a while since I read the Eternal Champion books but I don't believe Stormbringer has anything to do with any other EC except Elric so him summoning any of the others would not fit the syntax of those books.

I'd have to give the battle to Conan though, one on one, he survived every encounter Howard every wrote, he would find a way to defeat Elric and Stormbringer.

Stormbringer wins, of course. Though it would not abandon Elric, since Conan's not Melnibone'an.

The problem with such a hypothetical story is that it's over very quickly regardless of who wins. For as much sorcerous might that Elric possesses (and that he seldom uses unless he has Stormbringer to feul the magic) Conan specializes in slaying wizards and sorcerers. And though Elric is the best swordsman in the world save one, Conan also makes a long-term hobby of slaying swordsmen. No elegant dance between Elric and conan in that case, The thickly-hewed barbarian lops off the white head with a swipe of his cold steel blade.

And when Elric weilds Stormbringer, Conan's soul cries "By Crom" as it's drawn from his body. Elric probably looks on horrified because he would have actually liked the barbarian, then would mope about it at the opening of the next story. At least until Moonglum blew most of their money on wine and whores to cheer up his friend.

Its been a while since I read the Eternal Champion books but I don't believe Stormbringer has anything to do with any other EC except Elric so him summoning any of the others would not fit the syntax of those books.

In "Sailor on the Seas of Fate", isn't it Stormbringer that brings several Eternal Champions together to fight Gog and Magog? I read the books some 20 years ago so my memory may be faulty on this one. SotSoF was my favorite of the Elric books.

Conan is pretty good with a bow too.

Is he smart? Can he outsmart the Noose of Flesh? :-)

Wow this is bringing back memories. I think the guy said it best when he suggested that is Elric was Conan's enemy it was a clear win for Conan but if they were friends Conan was going to meet a very terrible and awful ending. Perhaps worse than having your soul sucked by a runesword of mighty power.

Has anyone else here read The Swordbearer by Glen Cook? Great book!

--Pete

Is he smart? Can he outsmart the Noose of Flesh? :-)

Wow this is bringing back memories. I think the guy said it best when he suggested that is Elric was Conan's enemy it was a clear win for Conan but if they were friends Conan was going to meet a very terrible and awful ending. Perhaps worse than having your soul sucked by a runesword of mighty power.

Has anyone else here read The Swordbearer by Glen Cook? Great book!

--Pete

Conan is smart enough to kill a wizard as quick as possible.

Conan wins. While Elric is moping and Stormbringer is scheming Conan is killing. That's how he slays the wizards. They make things more complicated than they need to be. He just scopes out his target and eliminates them.

Therein lies the problem, Stormbringer really doesn't scheme, it often leaps from its scabbard unbidden and impales whoever happens to be in reach. THEN it continues slaying until it is sated. It's the McGuffin that Moorcock uses to explain Elric slaughtering entire armies.

There is always A sword. In the Eternal Champion series, the reason he remembers is that he is being punished for refusing to weild the sword.

I disagree with this' date=' Stormbringer is not the basis for the Eternal Champion series.[/quote']

Not Stormbringer. Elric didn't refuse to weild Stormbringer. For some reason, I can't recall the name the character in the Eternal Champion series went by. [Of course, I can remember Corum, Elric, Hawkmoon, Von Bek, Jerry Corneliuus, Jherek Carnelian...but not the one I'm trying to remember.]

Somewhat off-topic' date=' I read once that Moorcock had basically designed Elric to be the opposite of Conan. Conan was a mighty barbarian who distrusted magic, and eventually won himself an empire, and saved the world. Elric was a weakling emperor who used magic to a great extent, lost his empire, and destroyed the world.[/quote']

I think I've read that Moorcock interview too. Same one where he says Tolkien is disgusting and despicable and boring. I read that and thought: "what an a**hole". And I'm no Tolkien fan, just gets to me a writer bashing another writer from the same genre. Sounds so petty.

Well, the only "old guard" fantasy writers I really like are Leiber and Zelazny anyway. I tend to prefer the post-80s stuff.