Conan vs. Elric

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Conan vs. Elric

Definately Elric.

He's on a whole different scale from Conan. Conan's adventures are Powerful Heroic. Elric's are Low powered Superheroic, and later on in his series, it graduates to full fledged Standard Superheroic and beyond.

Stormbringer simply gives Elric far too many advantages. The least of which if Elric were to even scratch Conan with the blade, Conan's Strength and Endurance would be cut in half (at least).

And Stormbringer doesn't even need souls to make Elric stronger...he gains more strength simply from grasping the hilt, even before the killing starts. Taking a soul simply gives him more energy. If he takes the soul of an Elemental, Demon or Demigod, his physical abilities rise to ridiculous levels.

No way Conan can win this fight. Lets not even talk about if, Elric summons an Elemental Lord, whom he has pacts with due to his royal heritage. He could throw Elementals at Conan for hours to wear him down, then when Conan's strength is taxed, move in for the kill.

However, this is assuming that Elric doesn't have a scantily clad barbarian hottie captive. If Elric were to be dense enough to threaten the life of some potential puntang for Conan, not even Stormbringer will be able to stop the Hyperborian monstrosity!

Definately Elric.

He's on a whole different scale from Conan. Conan's adventures are Powerful Heroic. Elric's are Low powered Superheroic, and later on in his series, it graduates to full fledged Standard Superheroic and beyond.

Stormbringer simply gives Elric far too many advantages. The least of which if Elric were to even scratch Conan with the blade, Conan's Strength and Endurance would be cut in half (at least).

And Stormbringer doesn't even need souls to make Elric stronger...he gains more strength simply from grasping the hilt, even before the killing starts. Taking a soul simply gives him more energy. If he takes the soul of an Elemental, Demon or Demigod, his physical abilities rise to ridiculous levels.

No way Conan can win this fight. Lets not even talk about if, Elric summons an Elemental Lord, whom he has pacts with due to his royal heritage. He could throw Elementals at Conan for hours to wear him down, then when Conan's strength is taxed, move in for the kill.

However, this is assuming that Elric doesn't have a scantily clad barbarian hottie captive. If Elric were to be dense enough to threaten the life of some potential puntang for Conan, not even Stormbringer will be able to stop the Hyperborian monstrosity!

Well said.

You've saved me from the tedious task of typing out my response :celebrate

If you are asking who would defeat whom then I will pick Conan. Everyone knows Conan has +10 combat levels versus wizards/demons/demi-gods and +5 combat levels with incantation "Crom." :)

Even against mooks Conan gets injured every so often. Elric is a champion, so he'll hit at least once. And with Stormbringer that's all you need. Elric in the fifth, by a soul-destruction.

I (unfortunately) don't know much about Elric, but I do know Conan, and this is what would happen if he was about to battle someone with an Artifact:

He would (through happenstance) find the Opposite to the Artificat, fight the "Bad Guy", win (of course), get the girl, ride off with her, loose interest in her, gamble the artifact away (I'm serious, I know of at least one occasion where this happened), and wake up destitute and looking for mercenenary work.

I have read a lot of Conan... :D

Oh right, I forgot about Mournblade. Yeah if he can find that (and it's an extremely valuable object probably owned by wizards and guarded by monsters, so the odds are good) then the advantage of Stormbringer is nullified. Of course with Mournblade in his hand there's little Elric can summon that Conan doesn't immediately kill so it's down to hand to hand. First to get a hit in wins and though Elric's good he's not Conan.

Conan walks away with both swords, or tries to and they kill him.

Conan is smart enough to kill a wizard as quick as possible.

Conan's practically a genius wrt combat. Lets face it, he's fought wizards, flying demons, snakes so big they swallow you without doing that unhinging thing, apes, pretty much anything that a Howard could think up. Each of these requires different techniques, and he doesn't get a time out to think about it. Basically assume that he adapts to any new combat factor within a VERY brief time.

Admittedly I haven't read all REH's Conan stories, but he strikes me as remarkably lucky in overcoming foes with massive tactical advantages time and again. By contrast, you can probably find a picture of Elric in some dictionaries next to the word "misfortune." While Elric is the vastly more powerful of the two between his sorcery, his legendary artifact sword, and the favor of his patron demon-god, Conan would probably stumble across the key to defeating him by chance and either kill him or leave him defeated, weaponless and weakly moaning like Edgar Winter after a 5-day bender.

Elric: "If you would be so kind as to let me kill a few spear carriers with my hellsword first, I'd be more than happy to engage you in a duel."

Conan: "DIE, PALE DEVIL DOG!"

Elric: "Arioch!"

Conan: "What?"

Arioch: "Oo, yummy!"

Conan: "Crom!" (dies)

Arioch: "You owe me, son of Melniboné."

Elric: "Whatever."

Guest steamteck

Elric: "If you would be so kind as to let me kill a few spear carriers with my hellsword first, I'd be more than happy to engage you in a duel."

Conan: "DIE, PALE DEVIL DOG!"

Elric: "Arioch!"

Conan: "What?"

Arioch: "Oo, yummy!"

Conan: "Crom!" (Arioch:dies)

Conan: "You owe me, son of Melniboné."

Elric: "Whatever."

Fixed that for you.:D

Oh right, I forgot about Mournblade. Yeah if he can find that (and it's an extremely valuable object probably owned by wizards and guarded by monsters, so the odds are good) then the advantage of Stormbringer is nullified. Of course with Mournblade in his hand there's little Elric can summon that Conan doesn't immediately kill so it's down to hand to hand. First to get a hit in wins and though Elric's good he's not Conan.

Conan walks away with both swords, or tries to and they kill him.

Wrong again =( If you ve read Elric you would understand that when a wielder of SB and a wielder of MB meet its then up to SB vs MB and the wielders have nothing to do with the fight. (As when elric met Yrkoon both wielding the cursed swords) Bad thing is that people view the swords as swords. Well i tell you that the swords are entities of free will that surpass even gods. At the destruction of the world of Elric the only thing left was Stormbringer laughing taking a different form and jumping again through the multiuniverse. So dont underevaluate SB as a mere sword. It symbolizes the ultimate entity, call it god, or universe or the ultimate truth i dont know.

Give Conan Mournblade?

Conan hands down. Just Conan from his books vs Elric from his books, Elrick would squash him, but if you were to even the odds by giving Conan Mournblade, then Conan would dominate Elric. (assuming the same number and strength of souls absorbed)

As i wrote before the wielders in this case have nothing to do with the fight. Its a matter of SB vs MB. And last time that happened Stormbringer was the winner.

In the end, there is no way to resolve these questions. The stories take place in different universes, different realities with different assumptions and rules.

Meh. Throw a third reality into the mix. Stormbringer stabs the protagonist from my fantasy novel (in progress). Her soul is poison to the runesword, and it is destroyed. Story over in one chapter. Next. :rolleyes:

IIRC Stormbringer doesn't just suck up entire souls from every little wound it inflicts. It needs to land a solid, killing blow to draw soul energy, and has to stay stuck in a person's body for at least a few seconds to drain their souls dry.

(You know, discussing what's really an abominable practice in such dry, factual terms strikes me as decidedly ghoulish.) :idjit:

Okay, to translate into HEROese...

Conan, being a mighty hero who routinely battles wizards, has some points of Power Defense, which conviently take a lot of the bite out of the Soul Drain.

The mooks... don't. And for that matter, probably can't come close to matching Conan's 20+ CON and BODY either.