Conan vs. Elric

TheQuestionMan

Fantasy HERO realy hasn't had any of these type of posts yet. I am neither and expert on Conan or Elric, but it seems to me they both fit the same mode. Who would win in a fight. Or even better how would you write/game it?

Even if Elric relies more chemicals, magic, and the Sword than Conan.

Give us a few examples

QM

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Conan vs. Elric

How far away do they start? I think Conan would take Elric in physical combat (although Stormbringer's powers are strong, I'm not convinced Elric could land a hit solid enough to play "extract the soul").

But if Elric gets to use the various summoning spells (Hashastak, for example), Conan won't be in the game at all.

[but I'm a much bigger Moorcock fan than Howard fan, so my bias may be showing.]

It depends on the conditions.

If they start out far apart, Elric might have time to get a spell off.

If they start at whacking range then Conan has a big advantage.

However, if Elric has claimed a few souls right before combat then Conan is toast.

I don't think Conan really stands much of a chance against Elric/Stormbringer after the first series of blows. Elric might be a weak albino, but he's a good swordsman, and Stormbringer is nothing to shake a stick at (put the stick down, Conan). Conan either decapitates Elric right out, or he loses. I doubt these two would go back to back, take 10 paces, and start a duel.

Even without any sorcery Elric/Stormbringer will eventually beat Conan.

TANSTAAFF!

Elric has an unfair advantage in Stormbringer. Even Conan doesn't go through many fights without getting some meat skewered, and Stormbringer essentially lets Elric get one-shot kills.

Somewhat off-topic, I read once that Moorcock had basically designed Elric to be the opposite of Conan. Conan was a mighty barbarian who distrusted magic, and eventually won himself an empire, and saved the world. Elric was a weakling emperor who used magic to a great extent, lost his empire, and destroyed the world.

I (unfortunately) don't know much about Elric, but I do know Conan, and this is what would happen if he was about to battle someone with an Artifact:

He would (through happenstance) find the Opposite to the Artificat, fight the "Bad Guy", win (of course), get the girl, ride off with her, loose interest in her, gamble the artifact away (I'm serious, I know of at least one occasion where this happened), and wake up destitute and looking for mercenenary work.

I have read a lot of Conan... :D

See to me, the battlefield is what matters. Is it mano a mano in a western style middle of the street at high noon thing? Conan. Elric is a superb swordsman, but "Unbuffed", Conan will ride over him like a lawnmower over a dachshund.

Now, do they have to hack their way through a portion of an opposing army to match steel? Elric. Every death makes him stronger until he will surpass even Conan's preternatural strength. He slew an entire army once for pete's sake! Right after the dream theif story, Elric comes back and proceeds to kill every single living thing in this one city that pissed him off. And after the first kill or so, it wasn't ever in doubt. He gets stronger, faster, more enduring, with each life taken.

But...if it's one on one with no prep time? Conan makes a smear with his blades.

It would depend on if Moorcock or Howard were describing the fight. Either of them could come up with some rationale - reasonable or otherwise - for the other one to have his ass handed to him, steaming, on a silver platter.

If it wasn't one of those two writers, it'd end up being like one of those Marvel vs. DC comics, where they start off fighting, and later join forces.

(Although you can't beat Superman vs. Muhammed Ali; Ali whooped his ass, but only because Supe's lost his powers: http://www.techknight.com/gallery/ali/aaa )

Hugh: That was a two-part storyline' date=' in [u']Conan the Barbarian[/u], issues 14 and 15. Barry smith was handling the art in those days: Elric did indeed resemble Corum.

Apparently, Barry Windsor-Smith was not familiar with the character and Roy Thomas erroneously gave him the "pointed hat" description of Corum. OOPS!

I recall reading it (or excerpts) many years ago, but I don't recall whether the two actually fought. It would be the only actual meeting of the two ever written, to my knowledge.

It all depends on whether Elric and Conan are enemies or allies. If the former then Elric, who fails at everything he attempts, will never kill him in a million years. If, on the other hand, Conan has foolishly allied himself with Elric then the Cimmerian is dead meat. Elric will lose control of Stormbringer and it'll suck out Conan's soul. Or he'll summon a god who'll kill everyone in a 5 mile radius.

Apparently' date=' Barry Windsor-Smith was not familiar with the character and Roy Thomas erroneously gave him the "pointed hat" description of Corum. [i']OOPS![/i]

I recall reading it (or excerpts) many years ago, but I don't recall whether the two actually fought. It would be the only actual meeting of the two ever written, to my knowledge.

I also can think of no other published meeting of the two, though I don't claim to be an authority. Mr. Moorcock has referred to details of the making of the team-up storyline in CTB in other places, but notably in his own site, multiverse.org.

My own copies of the books in question have sadly gone the way of all things, but, AIR, they only skirmished before joining forces against the real villains of the story, Kulan-Gath and Xiombarg; and eventually Terhali, the Green Empress. {PoI} Xiombarg's chaos army was led by Gaynor the Damned.

With or without the Stormbringer?

Serious question.

Without (and starting in melee range) I give it to Conan hands down.

With (and starting at melee range) I give strong odds to the Stormbringer - you will note I didn't say Elric.

Starting out of combat range Elric entreats the Lords of Chaos and Conan is turned to pulp - unless of course the Lords of Chaos come to this world to finish him off, in which case Conan Ape Wrastles them to death and goes looking for drugged out albino boy.

My personal take, however, is that these two characters are NOT in the same genre. Conan stories are decidedly low-fantasy barbarian shlock (lots of swords with rare and limited sorcery), while Elric stories are definately Swords & Sorcery mainstream: much more magic - and much higher levels of magic.