Need help with an inherent power

Maelstrom

I'm building a character whose connection with the divine is strong enough to heal his clothing, armor and weapons. Further, should he find himself in rags, eventually, he will be fully equipped per the god's specs. Please pick to pieces and make suggestions:

Cost Powers END

3 The Love of Coenthryth: Major Transform 1 point (Present Clothing into standard gear (Bastard sword, large shield, plate and chain, two stilletoes, Heavy long bow and 20 arrows, in good condition))), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (19 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Gradual Effect (1 Hour; -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) 0

Re: Need help with an inherent power

That's a fine way to build it if you and the GM agree that the power is not a big deal. It does technically violate the Transform description (it actually says "don't use Transform to create swords"), but in a heroic game it's less of an issue IMO. What I might take exception to is that there's no balancing factor for the value of the equipment involved: getting leather armor, or a greatsword, or two suits of plate, would all cost the same.

A more scalable method might be Summon (use the point cost of all your gear combined as the point value Summoned).

One (expensive) way to do this is to buy all equipment with points, using "Only in Hero ID" rather than a focus. The special effect is that the character always gets his equipent back eventually.

On the other hand, if your GM is OK with it, you could use the power you've listed. I'd add "Only if serving the god's will" and drop "Inherent."

Alot of this depends on the type of campaign being run.

In some campaigns, quality equipment is frequently available and easily purchased. In that sort of game, this spell is probably worth about 3 points. It will only be needed in rare cases and takes several hours to generate enough BODY to recover equipment.

In campaigns where equipment is harder to buy and keep, this spell is much more valuable and hence more likely to cost nearer to the cost of the equipment in points. After all, this is much cheaper than having a three or four spells that give the same defensive and offensive capabilities.

Buy your armour and weapons with point and take instant change.

Along with a possible OIHID, this sounds about right. There are serious advantages to being having all of your equipment appear to you when you are locked in a dungeon, or standed on an island, or need something to trade, or need to equip the party or whatever.

I like the idea of this power but like most other people I think it is worth more than 3 points. I'd make the character pay points for the weapons and limit it as suggested by OddHat.

I think it'd be really cool. HolyJoe is locked in the King's dungeon, stripped of his weapons by the efficient city guards. He lies on his bunk and notices that it rocks. Looking for the answer he finds that a long sword has been tied to the leg of the bunk, making it unstable. He is able to use the long sword to gain access to the keys to his cell and finds that the plate and chain mail stored in the room is a perfect fit.

He KOs the guard outside the room and takes his stilettos, bow and arrows.

Coenthryth has proved his Love for HolyJoe once more.

Doc

how about paying points to buy off the limitation focus on that gear (along with other things like Real Weapon that wouldn't apply)' date=' with some limitations to reflect the delay?[/quote']

I like this as a solution. It more accurately represents the advantages the character is actually gaining from the ability. Also, it doesn't force the player to pay the (sometimes ridiculously) high cost of sword, armor, 2 knives, etc. in full. He's only paying for the way these things are different from the actual equipment. In a heroic level game this seems more appropriate to me.

Having said all that, I'd keep a careful eye on this ability. As mentioned above, it could completely eliminate the possibility of being held captive for any length of time. Special effects would matter a great deal.