Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Unfortunately, it's not my kid. It's from an anonymous comment on a website so I can't even prove it was ANYBODY's kid. For all I know, that person has no children and made the whole thing up.

However, I'd like to think it was a child, and I'd like to spend time with them too.

Lucius Alexander

And introduce them to a palindromedary

Dream....shattered....:D

My wife and I could not agree on names for the boys. The fundamental problem is that she comes up with names for babies' date=' while I try to name the men that those babies will grow up into.[/quote']

So, she was thinking, "Little Prince Adorabia of Planet Cutesie-Wootsie" and you were thinking, "Roger"? ;)

My wife and I could not agree on names for the boys. The fundamental problem is that she comes up with names for babies' date=' while I try to name the men that those babies will grow up into.[/quote']

Seems to be a common disconnect from what I understand. Fortunately Keri and I both approached baby names from the "this is what she will be called her whole life" point of view. In fact, oddly enough, it was one of the things we talked about before we got married. :)

We'd discussed baby names before marriage too... for girls. First daughter, if ever there is one, will have had her name picked out for many years before she ever existed. Second boy's birth certificate was actually delayed for a day while his lame parents tried to figure out what to call him.

We'd discussed baby names before marriage too... for girls. First daughter' date=' if ever there is one, will have had her name picked out for many years before she ever existed. Second boy's birth certificate was actually delayed for a day while his lame parents tried to figure out what to call him.[/quote']

Oh, we hadn't discussed actual names. Just the ideas behind picking one. Keeping in mind that the baby being named will have to live with the name as an adult. Not taking a "normal" name and just spelling it weird. Etc.

As to delays in naming, my birth certificate was actually filed without a name on it. An addendum was filed more than a month later (8/20/1967) finally naming me. :) Causes me trouble sometimes, as an official copy of my birth certificate accurately shows that the certificate itself has a blank for the baby name, and has notes from the addendum at the bottom indicating that my name was changed. Most people that I've shown it to start out saying "This is a fake, the name field is blank". Most of them also go "Ah, okay" when I point out the notes at the bottom. A few times it has taken a while though...