Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Wold Newtonesque/'British Pulp' crossover -- Mary Poppins is married to Sherlock Holmes.

any comments?

Mary's first adventures were written and published in the 1930s. I'm not sure when exactly they were meant to be taking place, but that presents something of a timeline problem. Might be best to say that Poppins (who was, after all, a friendly sort of witch) was married to Holmes decades before she went into the nanny business. You'd also have to come up for an in-character justification for Holmes to have ever married anyone at all; one approach could be to say that his avoidence of all romantic entanglements came out of his traumatic early failed mariage to Poppins. Not much of a stretch to see a young Holmes fascinated by a young woman with extraordinary powers, and no problem at all to see why a woman would be attracted to him early in a relationship and unable to stand him as time went on. Placing Holmes in a world with magic in the first place isn't much of a jump; pastiche writers have done it any number of times. Poppins author (PL Travers) hated the Disney version, and would probably have gotten a kick out of a failed romance as an explanation of Poppins bitter side and refusal to remary.

Never happen. Holmes is too much the egotist. And Mary would not put up with it. and let's not even start with the drug use.
I'm guessing the drug use is what ended the marriage.

Americans usually think of Mary as the movie character. We forget that the print character was (to borrow a Pratchettism) Good, but not always Nice.

You know how Top 40 radio is repetitive? It ain't got nuthin' on Country radio. In my vanpool, we have the radio set to a country station. Every day, morning and evening, I hear two songs. Alan Jackson's "Country Boy" and Craig Morgan's "International Harvester."

Every. Single. Day. Twice a day. And I only listen to those stations for about 45 minutes at a time.

I generally like country music, but these are not even good songs. :thumbdown.

You have my sympathy.

Personally I wouldn't ride in a vanpool that played country music. Even using my own MP3 player and turning it up probably wouldn't be sufficient. But I'm like that...

I remember back in my freshman year of college, one week for four straight days the same song was playing when my clock radio went off in the morning. (For the record, it was B J Thomas's "Somebody done somebody wrong song", and yes, it still incites homicidal fury when I hear it.) That afternoon I changed the station and never played that station again. It changed call letters and format a few months later.

I remember back in my freshman year of college' date=' one week for four straight days the same song was playing when my clock radio went off in the morning. (For the record, it was B J Thomas's "Somebody done somebody wrong song", and yes, it still incites homicidal fury when I hear it.) That afternoon I changed the station and never played that station again. It changed call letters and format a few months later.[/quote']

At one point a local radio station played They Might Be Giants "Minimum Wage" every hour, on the hour from 5 to 10 am, specifically for alarm clocks. :) To this day I use that on my phone as my alarm sound...

When the owner of the local rock station in my hometown threatened to switch the format to country, a few of the DJs locked themselves in the broadcast booth and played "It's the End of the World as we Know It" for over 24 hours straight. My brother and I both cranked up our stereos so you could hear it through the whole house. It was great. :thumbup:

P.S. At first I thought it was just a publicity stunt - especially when the owner gave in - but the format did change a few months later. :(

Mary's first adventures were written and published in the 1930s. I'm not sure when exactly they were meant to be taking place' date=' but that presents something of a timeline problem. Might be best to say that Poppins (who was, after all, a friendly sort of witch) was married to Holmes decades before she went into the nanny business. You'd also have to come up for an in-character justification for Holmes to have ever married anyone at all; one approach could be to say that his avoidence of all romantic entanglements came out of his traumatic early failed mariage to Poppins. Not much of a stretch to see a young Holmes fascinated by a young woman with extraordinary powers, and no problem at all to see why a woman would be attracted to him early in a relationship and unable to stand him as time went on. Placing Holmes in a world with magic in the first place isn't much of a jump; pastiche writers have done it any number of times. Poppins author (PL Travers) hated the Disney version, and would probably have gotten a kick out of a failed romance as an explanation of Poppins bitter side and refusal to remary.[/quote']

Never happen. Holmes is too much the egotist. And Mary would not put up with it. and let's not even start with the drug use.

I'm guessing the drug use is what ended the marriage.

Americans usually think of Mary as the movie character. We forget that the print character was (to borrow a Pratchettism) Good, but not always Nice.

I came up with the idea of Poppins/Holmes at work, and couldn't check the chronology.

Yeah, I stuffed up, sorta. I thought Mary Poppins was set around the time of Sherlock Holmes, during the "British pulp era", which I place earlier than the American pulp era (cf. Machen, Blackwood, Wilde, Doyle etc). The American pulps seem to have followed on from the 'British pulp' stories.

Still thanks for your comments, so what about Holmes' son or grandson, would he make a better husband for Mary Poppins? Or maybe keep in with the "M"s and say, the son/grandson of Professor Moriarty? :):eg: