Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I hope everyone here had as good or better 4th of July!

I spent time at home with my wife and daughter. Grilled some meat for dinner. Heard a fair number of fireworks going off, though I didn't see any. Only down side for me was that my brother, who was originally going to come down, ended up needing to stay home for the weekend. One of his cats managed to fill the sink in the guest bathroom with towels (not unusual as the cat likes sleeping there) and then turn on the hot water. Ruined most of the carpet that he hadn't replaced with fake hardwood. Ruined all of the fake hardwood.

I also continued to be amused at the amount of fireworks I heard, even though I live in an area where setting off fireworks is illegal. Or at least setting off ones that explode is. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to track down where the explosions are coming from, but it seems to be... :)

I also continued to be amused at the amount of fireworks I heard, even though I live in an area where setting off fireworks is illegal. Or at least setting off ones that explode is. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to track down where the explosions are coming from, but it seems to be... :)

Seems that the police generally only enforce intelligence, ie: don't set them off right in front of uniforms. Though if complaints are made, those are acted on. At least that describes my time in California.

Seems that the police generally only enforce intelligence' date=' ie: don't set them off right in front of uniforms. Though if complaints are made, those are acted on. At least that describes my time in California.[/quote']

Sounds likely.

Just saw that there will be PvP in the Champions Online game.

On some level I knew this, but it's still very disapointing. The point of being a Superhero is to serve and protect, to save people. Sometimes it follows the White Knight fantasy, sometimes the Emo Teen Martyr fantasy, sometimes even the Anti Hero fantasy, but if it's really a Superhero story it's about Protecting the Weak from the Evil Strong.

Sure, Heroes fight Heroes in the comics, almost always pre-Civil War before teaming up to take on the bad guys. Maybe Champions Online will follow that model. If there's PvP at all, I hope so. If they follow the Civil War model, or worse the standard online game Bully the Newbies model, I see no reason to bother buying the game.

Which makes me sad, as I've been a Champions fan since the beginning.

Hopefully it won't be mandatory PVP.

I could swear I saw how it was being implemented mentioned' date=' but can't be sure. I don't expect it to be much different from the CoX version, which isn't mandatory at all.[/quote']

Cool. As long as I can ignore it I'll still get the game.

Just saw that there will be PvP in the Champions Online game.

On some level I knew this, but it's still very disapointing. The point of being a Superhero is to serve and protect, to save people. Sometimes it follows the White Knight fantasy, sometimes the Emo Teen Martyr fantasy, sometimes even the Anti Hero fantasy, but if it's really a Superhero story it's about Protecting the Weak from the Evil Strong.

Sure, Heroes fight Heroes in the comics, almost always pre-Civil War before teaming up to take on the bad guys. Maybe Champions Online will follow that model. If there's PvP at all, I hope so. If they follow the Civil War model, or worse the standard online game Bully the Newbies model, I see no reason to bother buying the game.

Which makes me sad, as I've been a Champions fan since the beginning.

Oh...beaten to the punch...

but my guess is that it will be like most games (Age of Conan being the glaring exception) that will have specified pvp servers and pvp areas in others....but that's just a guess.

Define "decent price".

New Egg has it for $249. Though they don't expect stock until 7/20.

That's a decent price to me for that card.

Crap! It was showing as available on NewEgg with the "add to cart" button there and active, but now it's "ETA:07/20/2009". :mad:

I found out that NewEgg's "buy Vista get a free Windows 7 upgrade" only gets you the free upgrade if you are a Microsoft Partner Program member. Looks like I'll be waiting till late October.

I found out that NewEgg's "buy Vista get a free Windows 7 upgrade" only gets you the free upgrade if you are a Microsoft Partner Program member. Looks like I'll be waiting till late October.

The Windows 7 RC is pretty stable. It is what I'm running on my main home computer while I wait for the final release to be out.

I am building a new computer -- finally -- now that Windows 7 is about to come out. I haven't yet broken my "skip every other Windows" oath. I found a video card that I think will be really, really good in my system. But there is a problem. It's sold out d^#n-near everywhere. The only place that I found that has one is charging $100 more than what it is going for elsewhere.

I'm looking for a Sapphire Toxic edition Radeon HD 4890, part # 100269TXSR. It is a sweet card, with 1GB of GDDR5, it is HDCP Ready and overclocked to 960 MHz (instead of the stock 850 MHz), and has Vapor-X Cooling.

But I can't get it anywhere for a decent price. :cry:

Define "decent price".

New Egg has it for $249. Though they don't expect stock until 7/20.

Dear Manpower Management;

If an employee survey gives high marks to all questions except about upper management, then you have the problem and the answer is not telling Team Leaders that they need to be more positive.

Obviously the Team Leaders are not putting forth enough effort to make sure that the blame is not directed toward upper management.

:D

Obviously the Team Leaders are not putting forth enough effort to make sure that the blame is not directed toward upper management.

:D

Considering upper management screws them as much as the rest of us. Not really. they are stepping out of the way and helping aim.

I'm feeling better, now that the staples have been removed. Right now my belly button is more of a puckered gash. We'll see how it is after I don't have to wear the bandages any more.

Doc

I was not aware that you had surgery. I hope it went well.