Iyo: The Most Underrated Or Underused Character In Comics

Vigil

Re: Iyo: The Most Underrated Or Underused Character In Comics

I agree, Starblaze. In fact, I think "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow" was also the best Superman story of the silver/bronze age. It captured all the great elements of silver age Superman stories but created a powerful bronze age sense of pathos unlike anything ever before in Supes. That was an incredible accomplishment for the time, esp. given the fact that Supes, by that time, had become almost completely a carricature. For years he'd been invulnerable and vastly more powerful than everyone else in the DCU. There were no challenges, let alone threats. His stories had degenerated to the point of being quaint morality tales or capers. And then, in two issues, Moore comes in and completely turns the whole mythos on its head. Amazing work from the greatest writer to ever work in the medium.

Vigil

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the Elementals.

Just thought I'd say it... that was a crazy fun read for the first twenty or so issues. Went downhill after Willingham stopped regularly participating in a major way though.

Ah well, it was fun when it lasted. And I had a really fun (albeit short-lived) Champions campaign based on them.

Always thought that both Captain Comet and the Secret Society Of Super-Villains were underused.

Captain Comet showed up in the recent JSA Elseworlds ("Golden Age"), to my complete surprise. I had no idea who he was until they finally mentioned his name.

Alas, the story wasn't that good, so I'd recommend giving it a pass, despite my love for most things JSA.

The first 5 issue arc of SSOSV was absolutely classic. IMHO one of the best story premises of the 70's and, I think, Golden Age carried that torch very well. I thought it captured a good balance of classic JSA with modern day storytelling.

As for costumes, the SSOSV had some classics: Captain Comet (who'da thought all those colors could work together?), Sinestro, Manhunter and Mantis. Cool stuff.

Vigil

Captain Comet showed up in the recent JSA Elseworlds ("Golden Age"), to my complete surprise. I had no idea who he was until they finally mentioned his name.

Alas, the story wasn't that good, so I'd recommend giving it a pass, despite my love for most things JSA.

Well, I liked it and thoroughly recommend it... I'm going to leave a spoiler space before the reason why.

I spotted Captain Comet first off.

*** spoiler space ***

It had the Ultra-Humanite and Hitler's Brain... What's there not to like?

According to his origin, Comet's a "mutant" born 100, 000 years ahead of his time...which is way cooler than your standard mutant origin. As such he is, truly, the Man of Tommorrow. He has greatly enhanced intellect and physical toughness (limited invulnerability but he always got clobbered by Grodd or Blockbuster) as well as superstrength (I'd put him around STR 60) and telepathy, some telekinesis and a high EGO. Plus he has a few high tech gadgets like the "Cometeer" which is a high tech space rocket and his blaster which he never seems to use. He was another baroque Silver Age character who, I believe, appeared shortly before Jonn Jonnz.

Vigil

He was another baroque Silver Age character who' date=' I believe, appeared shortly before Jonn Jonnz.[/quote']

Captian Comet debuted in June 1951 and Jonn Jonnz in November 1955, so the Captain beat Jonn by a bit more than four years. :)

I guess they were trying to update his costume and felt that 1970's fashions were less silly.

Guess we're lucky he didn't have an afro, wide lapels and bellbottoms.

Surprisingly, he still had his sidearm which was unusual to see in those post-Viet Nam days.

It'd be nice to see this series released in TPB form (maybe even with the Freedom Fighters crossover cliffhanger ending which was never resolved because both books were cancelled as part of the "DC Implosion".

It'd be nice to see this series released in TPB form (maybe even with the Freedom Fighters crossover cliffhanger ending which was never resolved because both books were cancelled as part of the "DC Implosion".

Do you mean the JSA cliffhanger? SSoSV #15 ended as they took out a couple of the weaker JSA members. The stronger members ultimately defeated them (off-panel) which they noted when they next appeared in JLA.

Blue Beetle. He should be the Reed Richards of DC but instead he's often designated as "fat guy." That's just crap' date=' it's the only problem I have with Kieth Giffen. It was a funny subplot, for maybe a year, but he should have cleaned it up quicker. Beetle was the fat kid of DC for two decades and I'm sure some writer who loved the idea is going to make him fat again. I don't mind Beetle being the comic relief as long as he's the smart half of him and Booster Gold. But being comic relief doesn't mean you lose your technical genius, in fact, many technical genius types double as comic relief in fiction. Chuck Dixon gave Beetle respect and then Giffen wrote another Justice League series. I like Giffen's league so I picked it up, hoping he wouldn't undue all the good work Dixon had done. I was pleased, he was very respectful of Beetle's new outlook on life, but I got a bad feeling about any future Formerly Known as the Justice League series. Identity crisis kind of screwed up the current FKJL team since Elongated Man isn't going to be very big on adventuring for a little while.[/quote']

Me and a friend were talking about Beetle and his recent demice (and inevertable return to life). One idea we had was that he gets restored via the Blue Beetle (The artifact), when he is restored he becomes bulletproof, superstrong, can fly. These powers would be at the low end of the spectrom for DC. Then you have a character combining Batman like skills and superman like powers, kind of make him an amagram of the two, but at a lesser power level...

blue beetle became my favorite DC character batman without the angst brave noble genius but still fun loving and a little off the wall. he chose not to get have super powers chose to fight crime only with his natural abilities liek gaining mystical powers would make him less than he was notr more.

i was very sad when they killed him but it was a good death better than those in identity crisis. even though im a hueg ted kord fan i hope he stays dead.

the essence of his character was that he was a normal guy who chose to do the right thing without super powers. he shouln't come back from the dead he should be replaced by a new blue beetle another young man who hones his body and his mind to do good a novice hero learning his way.

sasha bordeux was bruce wayne's body guard during the bruce wayne murderer/fugative saga when she discovered hsi secret bruce ws forced to bring her into the cave. she was arrested as an accomplise to bruce wayne for the murder of vespa fairchild(?) and whilst in prison and liable to go to jail for the murder she was recruited by the covert agency checkmate.

but she'd be a lousy beetle she could easily become a DC equivilent to blackwidow but the blue beetle identity doesn't lend its self to martial arts spy capers.