A Twist on the 'Patriot' Archetype: The Embodiment of Weapons

winterhawk

I have a PC who through a quasi-mystical 'radiation accident', has become the 'Lord of Staves', the World's archetypical stick fighter. In a pick up game the other night, I threw the 'Lord of Edges' against him, a character I sort of just came up with. After thinking about it, I thought it would be cool to have a sort of Highlander-ish cabal of beings who were the masters of a weapon whose advent changed the course of human history. They would all try to kill each other to gain the other's mastery. So I've come up with the following: 'The Lord of Fists', 'The Lord of Staves', 'The Lord of Edges', 'The Lord of Arrows' & 'The Lord of Guns'.

My question to the panel is: am I missing a history changing weapon? I know there should be a 'Lord of A-Bombs', but I'm trying to keep this very 'street level'. Thanks in advance for you comments/suggestions.

Re: A Twist on the 'Patriot' Archetype: The Embodiment of Weapons

Should be "Lord of Bullets"

Lord of Clubs (Includes Maces and such) should be the earliest of them

Lord of Poisons (For Bio & Chem Warfare, from mace to plagues)

Lord of the Hand (No weapons at all)...actualy he might be the earliest

the lance was one of teh dominate weapons of most of the middle ages

i kind of see him mounted on a motor bike with his lance and spears

the shield principle defensive wepon for most of human history

a female avatar the shield maiden uses fighting shields bucklers the freaky german judicial shields used in trials by combat etc.

dont forget axes they where always a popular weapon

i would devide fire arms up

lets see rifle, handguns, machine guns and the bombadier/grenedier

i might also devide bladed weapons swords an knives but maybe the lor of edges already killed the lord of knives

You should definately have "Lord of Axes"... which were among the earliest of manufactured weapons. Make the "Lord of Edges" more "Lord of Blades", which would be more fitting (and a different techological leap).

Other interesting options would be "Lord of Tactics", "Lord of Logistics", "Lord of Strategy". All of these are different issues that would be important in warfare (though not necessarily as much in one-on-one combat).

It could be interesting to see a "Lord of Politics", "Lord of Diplomacy", or even a "Lord of Law" (or what about a "Lord of Trade"). All these ideas have had marked effects on human history.

Again, if there are archetypes, there should probably be ones that cover the non-violent sides of humanity...

Don't forget spears. Formations of pikemen were very important.

Spears should replace swords I think. Spearmen were, IIRC, more important in terms of actual conquest than swords.

You might want to think about engineering (somehow). Let's face it, the Romans conquered with superior engineering, not Gladius'.

And how about Cavalry? Just don't call him "Lord of Mounts." :D

This reminds me a bit of Piers Anthony's post-apocolyptic "Battle Circle" books, where warriors were surnamed by the weapon they had mastered, such as Neq the Sword. The most dangerous warrior of all was known as Sol of All Weapons.

IIRC, the six weapons were sword, staff, sticks, mace, axe, and bow. Later a character developed rope into a weapon since he'd been forbidden to carry a sword. (I'm not talking clothesline here; he was using rope that was probably 3" thick and hit hard enough to break bones. IIRC the ends were also capped in steel.)

I'd avoid going too nuts and just stick with a few basic weapons from antiquity.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with:

The Lord of Fists (Bare Hands)

The Lord of Staves (Clubs)

The Lord of Edges (Swords/Daggers/Axes)

The Lord of Spears (Spears, natch)

The Lord of Arrows (Bows/Crossbows)

The Lord of Black Powder (Guns/Bombs/Cannons/etc)

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with:

The Lord of Fists (Bare Hands)

The Lord of Staves (Clubs)

The Lord of Edges (Swords/Daggers/Axes)

The Lord of Spears (Spears, natch)

The Lord of Arrows (Bows/Crossbows)

The Lord of Black Powder (Guns/Bombs/Cannons/etc)

I once had a villains named Lord of the Flies (he was a big bug). The players incessantly made jokes, calling him Piggy and threatening to take his glasses.

I once had a villains named Lord of the Flies (he was a big bug). The players incessantly made jokes' date=' calling him Piggy and threatening to take his glasses.[/quote']

Heh. I've got a big bug on my campaign world too.

His name is Papa Fly. He is a pimp.