Thinking About DARK CHAMPIONS BATTLEGROUNDS

Steve Long

Re: Thinking About DARK CHAMPIONS BATTLEGROUNDS

Just wanted to make with a quick little update on this subject.

In the past few weeks, I've been devoting my "copious" spare time to reworking the old Harpcor Towers adventure. After doing a lot of research on how skyscrapers function, planning the general structure and profile of Harpcor Towers, and putting in a good bit of time preparing templates and core floorplans in CC2, I've finally finished Floor 01 of the building.

And there was much rejoicing. :bmk:

Now I only have 39 floors to go. ;)

This is good news. I have used many skyscraper settings and found very few useful materials. If you're doing this tower in detail with good maps that can be copied for personal use, you have a definite sale. (I do wish there were some way you could sell electronic maps with it, but I understand that whole issue - maybe someday!)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used many skyscraper settings and found very few useful materials.

I had to hunt around pretty hard to find even what I did find. Unfortunately there aren't many layman's works on the subject of architectural engineering. But I gathered enough details from one book here, one book there to cover most of the bases, I think.

At the very least, the building's going to be a lot more logically designed and constructed than the first Harpcor Towers. It turns out I made some pretty decent decisions with it, but also some poor ones, since it was mostly designed off the top of my head. The new one will work a lot better, methinks.

In re: detail, I am (perhaps foolishly) going for as much detail as I can reasonably muster: every desk, every chair, every toilet in every stall in every bathroom. Thanks to CC2's excellent symbol sets, you can even see the computers and papers on each desk!

As to electronic maps, first I have to actually finish the maps. ;) Then we have to decide what to do with this monstrosity. The map budget for it alone (before we even think about whatever else might go into a DCB book) is probably going to be something like double our total art budget for a typical book -- so everyone may just have to settle for my CC2 scribblings regardless. ;)

My Hudson City is on order from the store so I'm not sure I have anything relevant to contribute. And I have a track record for suggesting things you have already done. ;)

I always find places still under construction to be interesting and useful for fights. Stadiums being constructed, hotels, perhaps even a neighborhood of tract houses that are still just framework are good spots for a gunfight.

Are the sewers mapped in HC:UA? If so, how about a sewage treatment plant that connects to it :)

I have a track record for suggesting things you have already done.

"Great minds think alike, soft minds run together." ;)

Are the sewers mapped in HC:UA?

There's a map showing the major sewer lines. I figure that's enough detail for most people; I don't want to interfere with any GMs' plans to establish secret criminal lairs in abandoned sewer tunnels. :hex:

I know Steve's already at work on the layout of the building, but for those of y'all looking for good general floorplans and such, here's a link for tall buildings of the world. It doesn't give detailed layouts of every floor, but it does give some ideas of what a typical floor might look like.

Anyway, it seemed as good a place to share the link as any.

I'd love to see a Campus/University. GMs might want to remove "Hudson City" from "Hudson City University" and add "Miskatonic" in, somedays...

I'd also like to see more a government-conspiracy cracking caper, and a madcap romp for a McGuffin left in the back of a taxicab...

HOSPITAL!

Having just purchased DC, I can say nothing excites me more more than the rules for Uncontroled Movement listed on page 197. I want to leap onto a gurney, guns a'blazin', and I can only do that if Steve makes a hospital battleground.

Back when Tamerthya was up they had a good hospital map.

BTW, Citizen Keen, I emailed you, did you get it?

In doing a little prep work before posting this thread, the one thing I found a lot of out on the Web was hospital floorplans. Lots of hospitals post 'em, I guess so visitors can find their way in advance or something. So, no need to wait on me, CK -- search for "hospital floorplan" and you should be able to dig up enough for some gurney gunfightin' action with no problem. ;)

I missed this thread the first time around. I think others have made some excellent suggestions. I'd like to suggest a way to combine some of them.

I think a small-to-medium-sized hotel/tenament would be very useful. The basic layout can be the same whether it's upscale or run-down. The same building could be a college dorm in an urban setting. To make this a major setting, complete the whole city block: a parking garage, an administrative building (city gov't or university), a health clinic / emergency care center, a bar and/or restaurant, etc. Make sure to detail alleys, back doors, fire-escapes, balconies, and roof-tops -- any ways in and out of each building.