Champs Worldwide: Whaddya want?

Darren Watts

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champs Worldwide: Whaddya want?

To "Oddhat" Interesting comment about Indian supers. As many of you know I have done basic (ie not full character sheets, just basic descriptions ) of characters from all over the world. A couple of ideas I had for Indian supers were a super strong wrestler who went by the name of "The Great Gama" (named after a real Indian wrestler from the early part of the 20th century) and a master of the Indian martial art of Kalarypyat who went by the name of "The Guru" (because that is a name that my copy of "Ultimate Martial Artist" suggests Kalarypayat masters are known by). I also gave "The Guru" various "extended breathing" and "Super flexibility" type powers ro add a little bit of mystical quality to him. Oh yes, apparently Indian wrestling champions are often given large, engraved maces as prizes/symbols of their skills so I gave "The Great Gama" one of these with a "Mjolner" type returning ability.

To "Oddhat" Interesting comment about Indian supers. As many of you know I have done basic (ie not full character sheets' date=' just basic descriptions ) of characters from all over the world. A couple of ideas I had for Indian supers were a super strong wrestler who went by the name of "The Great Gama" (named after a real Indian wrestler from the early part of the 20th century) and a master of the Indian martial art of Kalarypyat who went by the name of "The Guru" (because that is a name that my copy of "Ultimate Martial Artist" suggests Kalarypayat masters are known by). I also gave "The Guru" various "extended breathing" and "Super flexibility" type powers ro add a little bit of mystical quality to him. Oh yes, apparently Indian wrestling champions are often given large, engraved maces as prizes/symbols of their skills so I gave "The Great Gama" one of these with a "Mjolner" type returning ability.[/quote']

India already has two of the most powerful characters in the CU. If we are going to see write ups for anyone I'd prefer it be Rashindar or Ushas, but I'd settle for any of the other 5 characters we have names for. :)

To "Assault" I agree "No Captain Australia !" However I DID do a couple of Australian characters who are from different ethnic backgrounds (e g Not WASP !). "Roman Candle" who is an Aussie of Italian heritage and "The Gilt Dragon" who is a Chinese/Australian. I do admit to doing ONE Aboriginal super (one out of about 15), but he is NOT a mystic ! He has electrical powers as a matter of fact .

Sorry "MitchallS" I must have missed those two characters. Where are they from and could you give me a brief description of their appearence and powers please ?

Champions Universe page 47. India's team is called the Division and has 14 members. The six-armed sorcerer Rashindar and Ushas, avatar of the god of the same name, are two of the members, and are among the most powerful heroes in the world.

Sorry "MitchallS" I must have missed those two characters. Where are they from and could you give me a brief description of their appearence and powers please ?

In the Free Stuff section of the boards is a pdf breakdown of all the superheroes mentioned in the various Champions products. It is broken down by country or area so it's easier to follow.

To "Mitchell S" Okay. It's obviously time I went looking for the latest edition of "Champoins Universe" because my old edition doesn't have any of these characters in it. Grumble ! More expense !

The 4E and 5E Champions Universes are two completely different entities which are not connected at all. They have similarities in UNTIL, VIPER, PRIMUS, DEMON, and other various things, but beyond that they are very different.

I forgot two essential Australian character types:

the swashbuckling ninja :)

and, of course, the "Australian" hero who was originally from New Zealand.

A surprisingly large proportion of internationally prominent Australians are "really" Kiwis. I think this deserves a homage.

A slightly more serious alternative to the swashbuckling ninja might be the outback crocodile hunter type. It's a hideous stereotype, of course, but there's inherently nothing wrong with that. It's not, after all, much dumber than Captain Australia.

An even more serious "bush" character might be a bit like this guy: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/j/jackaroo.htm

On the other hand, serious might actually be the wrong word for him, since many of his stories are distinctly tongue in cheek.

Speaking of "bush" characters: Australia is an overwhelmingly urbanised society. Most Australian supers would be city based.

Guest rbezold

I remember back in the BBB there were a number of supers that could be played as heroes or villains, and had origins written up for both. Given the changing nature of politics and international relations, could we have that again?

I mean, take the old James Bond movie 'The Living Daylights'. The bad guys in that movie were the Russians, and the good guys were the Afghani Taliban. If you were to have written a Danger International supplement based around this theme back then, nobody would notice. Try it today and the reaction you get would most likely be hostile.

And of course not all of your potential customers are going to have the same political outlook. Where as some might appreciate the dashing 'Savoir Faire, the French World Policeman', others might start screaming about freedom fries.

Please, don't make a book that would lock anybody into a particular time frame or mind set.

1) I promise that ethnic stereotyping will be kept to as much of a minimum as I can manage. Characters will not necessarily be tied to their country's mythologies.

2) We will be statting out a great many of the heroes and villains already mentioned in Champs Uni.

3) No luchadores (but keep your eyes peeled for more info on this important topic. ;) )

4) The range of power levels will be similar to that of CKC- while the most common point level will be 350, there will be plenty more powerful than that and 1 or 2 less so.

5) There will probably be a USPD-style "UNTIL document" format tying the whole thing together, but no guarantees on that til I start actually trying to write the thing.

6) There's a limited amount of space to devote to in-depth studies of national character and superhero relations, but we'll try to paint some broad strokes for ya. And no room for non-adventuring metas- that's a whole book unto itself someday. This is primarily a character book, not an agency book or gazetteer.

7) Atlanteans (and Wanambi Man, so there, nyahh) turn up in Hidden Lands. More Aussies will in fact show up here. dw

4) The range of power levels will be similar to that of CKC- while the most common point level will be 350' date=' there will be plenty more powerful than that and 1 or 2 less so.[/quote']

I would ask you to keep in mind that over the last 3 years many player's characters have grown from 350 point starters to 400-500 characters. Giving GM's a large selection of 350 point villains, as is in CKC, is not going to be as beneficial to them as giving them some higher-point or more powerful villains would be. 350 point villains don't have a lot of bang against a 450 point hero group.

7) Atlanteans (and Wanambi Man' date=' so there, nyahh) turn up in Hidden Lands. [/quote']

Curses, foiled again! :)

On the general point of national distinctiveness: it might be worth checking out the superheroes that have actually been published in various countries.

I've already posted two links to the International Superheroes site, but that's because it rocks...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk

Of course that still shouldn't take away from an emphasis on the characters that have already been named.

"Well, how about an EU response to Eurostar? I don't think they want the most known pan-european superhuman team to be villains."

Personally, I love the idea of CU 4th edition where EuroStar regularly smacked the crap outta Euroguard. Call me a jinogist but I love the idea of the French and Germans having to swallow humble pie and ask the Americans for help. Hey, it parallels the real world!

:)

(P.S. just kidding around so please do not take too seriously)

-High powered heroes. Don't need to be many, but I'd like to at least see a couple in the 700+ range

-I agree re: main point number. It might be better to up the average a little bit, with perhaps 400 being the most common

-Tiger Squad is definitely a good thing to give relatively high word-count, since they can serve as either good guys or bad guys depending on exact characters and situation

Guest Worldmaker

I'd like to see a team of superheroic Arabs. Despite having one in my own gameworld, I'm getting kind of sick of arab super-terrorists.

We've seen Canadian hero teams. Why don't we ever see Mexican hero teams?

How about two different villain and/or hero teams, all calling themselves "the Pantheon", based on the Greek and Roman pantheons?

In descending order of importance in my view

#1> A wider range of power levels. Count me as a GM whose characters aren't 350-pt anymore.

#2> HEROES! AND MORE THAN JUST A FEW! AND YES I'M SCREAMING! Not everyone is running a campaign in which the PC's are the good guys.

#3> More in the way of "employable supers" -- the people who aren't dressing up in tights to have fights.

Some discussion on each (at least general) culture's response to supers.

Supers who are no longer tied to a nation or even a region - truly international heroes or truly continental/regional heroes.

It would be nice to see some variety with a few low-powered but interesting supers. I would suggest at the least a single super-team of low-powered guys a la Mysterymen, stick them anywhere. I like Jack's point about an Arab superteam. In general would like to see more on African and other non-Euro areas because those are the ones we tend to know less about, in the target market of the US/English speaking countries. It's easier for us to make the leap in creating French or even Russian supers. It gets harder in other cultures, and the real value of such a book would be some detailed write-ups on heroes that includes cultural elements we wouldn't necessarily think of.

PS - and not being a CU follower, these tips come from that light, just so you konw my bias. (Which means perhaps I fall out of the group intended to be reached with this publication)