Effective Concepts Your GM WON'T Allow.

Dust Raven

Re: Effective Concepts Your GM WON'T Allow.

Jacques Rambeau: once, long ago, we sat around abusing the hero rules to make stupid characters as we waited for the rest of our group to show up for the session of Danger International i was going to run. one of the 'characters' was Jacques Rambeau. he was a very, very, very good assassin. he could pick off a robin's head at 1/2 a mile using a blunderbuss. we all thought he was too silly to play, until Knob looked at it and exclaimed, "Hey! This is a good character. I'll play it just like it is."

the reason that no one else wanted to play this charcater was not that he had an atrocious french accent. we never heard his accent. he had a common, total psych limitation: Must Mime.

after a few days in one place, somebody would notice the mime with the gun case and shout out, "AAAAAH! It's the Killer Mime!" but he did a great job offing bad guys and Knob did a great job playing him.

that convinced me that there are no bad characters, just better or worse roleplayers.

Tarzan of the Concrete Jungle: this should have died, i know it, but my very first hero character (Champions, plain and simple) was Tarzan. problem was that we were in a city and there weren't no lions, tigers or bears. not even with kneepads or helmets. his big attack 'power' was a summon animals [with a mighty yell, of course].

once we were cornered beneath the city and Tarzan summoned... rats. lots of rats. too many rats. they attacked. they rolled a 3. they ate the thugs. it was gross. i really wish we had read the rules thoroughly.

Achilles, Aegis...Punching Bag This character has max DEF for the Campaign as well as max REC and BODY & STUN. He also has every DEF and Full Life Support. Of course he has NO Attack Power whatsoever, not even enough movement for a decent move through. This guy spends most of any fight insulting people, drawing fire, even Diving for Cover (into the line of fire) if necessary to soak up all the damage thrown around. For the sake of completeness let me also mention Force Wall Joe who uses max DEF FWs to accomplish much the same thing, but at range.

Flatulence Man: AoE NND. He can clear a room in seconds. :nonp:

The following have made appearances in my games as a lighthearted adventure after some serious drama adventures.

Captain Hairdryer: Out to save the world from Bad Hair Days.

Bruce the Towel Boy and Trixie the Gel Girl: Captain Hairdryer's sidekicks.

The Lonely Hearts Club: The Walrus, Sgt. Pepper, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polyurethane Pam, and Silver Hammer - real name Maxwell (yes, I can have a sense of humor when so desired ... the players hated this group, especially after they got defeated by them the first time they went against them).

Flatulence Man: AoE NND. He can clear a room in seconds. :nonp:

I hope he's got Personal Immunity (or No Sense Of Smell).

The Lonely Hearts Club: The Walrus, Sgt. Pepper, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polyurethane Pam, and Silver Hammer - real name Maxwell (yes, I can have a sense of humor when so desired ... the players hated this group, especially after they got defeated by them the first time they went against them).

What, no Eggman?

Did they get by with a little help from their friends?

Sounds like a fun group, a little reminiscent of the Crazy Gang from Excalibur.

Achilles' date=' Aegis...Punching Bag[/b'] This character has max DEF for the Campaign as well as max REC and BODY & STUN. He also has every DEF and Full Life Support. Of course he has NO Attack Power whatsoever, not even enough movement for a decent move through. This guy spends most of any fight insulting people, drawing fire, even Diving for Cover (into the line of fire) if necessary to soak up all the damage thrown around. For the sake of completeness let me also mention Force Wall Joe who uses max DEF FWs to accomplish much the same thing, but at range.

Well, of course, a living wall is not much fun, but I had planned to make a character who was unkillable, but still felt pain. There's quite a bit of roleplaying potential in a character who is undeniably super, but feels inadequate because his main power is the ability to get his clock cleaned again and again.

Well' date=' of course, a living wall is not much fun, but I had planned to make a character who was unkillable, but still felt pain. There's quite a bit of roleplaying potential in a character who is undeniably super, but feels inadequate because his main power is the ability to get his clock cleaned again and again.[/quote']One of our PCs is a guy who started out able to turn into heavy stone that hurt if you used him to hit people with. He could not move but was basically invulnerable almost. It was great! Oh, and in his normal human form he could transform others to stone.

One of our PCs is a guy who started out able to turn into heavy stone that hurt if you used him to hit people with. He could not move but was basically invulnerable almost. It was great!

Stone Boy from the LOSH had this as his main power. I don't see how this would be fun, but it sure would be funny.

I learned this the hard way:

I had a player who couldn't see color, but could see shapes very well. He also had the ability to see the moral character of souls- good versus evil.

He had a sword which would harm evildoers, but heal the good.

He also had a high level of absorption with linked armor, only against attacks from an evil source.

If he fought against "bad guys", he was unbeatable, but if he fought automata or animals, he was useless. Fun for nobody!

Guest WhammeWhamme

Stone Boy from the LOSH had this as his main power. I don't see how this would be fun' date=' but it sure would be funny.[/quote']

Depends on the level of power and/or control. If you can do things like a 'leap-through' and turn into stone midway, or turn into a statue with your foot on the accelerator while driving...

Let's just say that enough invulnerability IS a weapon. :yes:

One of our PCs is a guy who started out able to turn into heavy stone that hurt if you used him to hit people with. He could not move but was basically invulnerable almost. It was great! Oh' date=' and in his normal human form he could transform others to stone.[/quote']

One of the first Champions characters ever (first edition playtest group) was a powered armor suit named Force.

Force's armor locked into an 'at attention' pose whenever it detected that the wearer went unconscious. This led to Force being used as a club by the team's growing brick whenever Force was KOed...

Depends on the level of power and/or control. If you can do things like a 'leap-through' and turn into stone midway, or turn into a statue with your foot on the accelerator while driving...

Let's just say that enough invulnerability IS a weapon. :yes:

There's also teamwork: an invulnerable teammate makes for a great fastball special. . .

I had a player once that wanted a judo expert with "desolidification, useable against others" so that he could throw them into the ground (literally) and turn the power off the next phase. :tsk:

He also wanted an invisible martial artist ("you can't block what you can't see"), but luckily he went with something else.

Well' date=' of course, a living wall is not much fun, but I had planned to make a character who was unkillable, but still felt pain. There's quite a bit of roleplaying potential in a character who is undeniably super, but feels inadequate because his main power is the ability to get his clock cleaned again and again.[/quote']

I made a character like this once. He wasn't truly invulnerable, but had gobs and gobs of Regeneration (with Ressurection). A little bit of Martial Arts make him playable, but for the most part he was a damage sponge who tried to take hits meant for his allies.