More space news!

tkdguy

It would be super awesome if the reactionless drive really works. Freed from the tyranny of the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation, we could mount interstellar probe missions even if warp drive doesn't pan out, and the entire solar system, at the very least, would be ours for the taking. Combine that with the work being done on economically reusable launch systems, and the next few decades could be VERY exciting.

However, there's that pesky conservation of momentum thing . . . IF the drive works, a major law of physics will have to be reworked, and the implications and ramifications will be almost as exciting as the applications of the drive. For example, if it turns out that you CAN violate conservation of momentum, what other ways can you violate it, and how might those be applied to practical technology?

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. :)

It would be super awesome if the reactionless drive really works. Freed from the tyranny of the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation, we could mount interstellar probe missions even if warp drive doesn't pan out, and the entire solar system, at the very least, would be ours for the taking. Combine that with the work being done on economically reusable launch systems, and the next few decades could be VERY exciting.

However, there's that pesky conservation of momentum thing . . . IF the drive works, a major law of physics will have to be reworked, and the implications and ramifications will be almost as exciting as the applications of the drive. For example, if it turns out that you CAN violate conservation of momentum, what other ways can you violate it, and how might those be applied to practical technology?

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. :)

As more details about this "result" become available, it looks more like a measurement error. They tested two drives in the lab, one of which was a "null" that wasn't supposed to produce any thrust, while the other one was expected to (maybe) produce (a little) thrust. The problem is, a small but measurable thrust was detected from both of them. This probably means the experiment wasn't set up correctly. Time will tell; they're still working on it.

http://jalopnik.com/why-nasas-impossible-engine-is-likely-just-that-1616224512

If I can find a better article I'll post a link for it.

As more details about this "result" become available, it looks more like a measurement error.

That's about what I expected. A truly reactionless thruster would violate both conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy, so I really don't expect to ever see one. It feels slightly ironic that warp drive is actually more feasible. :)

That's about what I expected. A truly reactionless thruster would violate both conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy, so I really don't expect to ever see one. It feels slightly ironic that warp drive is actually more feasible. :)

Wired's take at http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/07/10-qs-about-nasa-impossible-drive .

I'm getting kind of annoyed with the whole subject. If the paper's abstract doesn't even match the content, what are we supposed to make of the supposed science?