My Cool Color Hudson City Map

Steve Long

Re: My Cool Color Hudson City Map

This seems so obvious to me that I'm sure there's a good reason why it hasn't been suggested yet, but....

You already have some products available through CafePress, and they do posters. Couldn't you just do it through there? Charge $20 a poster and you're making a marginal profit for almost no extra effort on your part.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

The lesson here is: If you post something everyone will attempt to buy it off you. Do this with a few things and you'll become independantly wealthy, then you can write that 45 Volume Genre Encyclopedia....

I love it when a plans comes together.

This seems so obvious to me that I'm sure there's a good reason why it hasn't been suggested yet, but....

You already have some products available through CafePress, and they do posters. Couldn't you just do it through there? Charge $20 a poster and you're making a marginal profit for almost no extra effort on your part.

IIRC, the pdf file is too large for a cafe press poster. It's pretty darn complex. I suppose it could be made into a raster format, but it might not print as clearly.

Keith "Check out the Savage Earth Loot*" Curtis

*I hope I'm not violating any policies. There's no mark-up, so I'm not making a profit.**

** Shameless Plug

IIRC' date=' the pdf file is too large for a cafe press poster. It's pretty darn complex. I suppose it could be made into a raster format, but it might not print as clearly.[/quote']Even if we couldn't get a full 24" x 36" pdf (or other format) poster, a pdf paginated breakdown of Hudson City using grid squares (just like a RL streetguide) would be tremendously useful.

Treb "Still hopin' " uchet

IIRC' date=' the pdf file is too large for a cafe press poster. It's pretty darn complex. I suppose it could be made into a raster format, but it might not print as clearly.[/quote']

I made a screen capture which I was able to import as a raster image into MicroStation (high-end CADD package). It is far to blurry to be of any use. I have been tracing the whole thing, one line at a time, to make a map for my own personal use. It will eventually look pretty good, and be in color, but it will be a lot of work. Once I am done I can print it off 24"x36" to the big Calcomp color plotter at work. And no, nobody can have one that would violate copyright. However, if Hero is going to make this available for sale at some point I'll save myself a bunch of trouble and simply buy one.

BTW, I assume that if I make one copy only to put on my game room wall, I won't be breaking any laws?

Not necessarily -- there are technical and logistical considerations involved in using Cafe Press. It's one of the things we're looking into.

Not necessarily -- there are technical and logistical considerations involved in using Cafe Press. It's one of the things we're looking into.

Have you considered putting it on a mug? Or on greeting cards?

I kid, I kid. I'm out of ideas, so jokes are all I have left.

• 2 months later...

If you could do a 24" x 24" or 36" x 36" version' date=' even in black & white, I'd very happily pay $20 for it. Even an 11" x 17" version (double the size in DC) would be very useful.[/quote']

http://www.mpix.com and it will be on Kodak professional paper.

By a sheet of plexiglass from a glass shop spray some KRYLON easy-tack on it. Place the photograph so that backing touches the face of the adhesivied plexiglass and voila - hang it on a wall.

• 2 months later...

How about making the pdf file available for sale? I can print out my own poster.

I'm also working on a map viewer using Flash. Right now I'm using a scan from the book. It's a bit lacking. Eventually I want to have a layered map.

• 4 weeks later...

How about put the map of Hudson City in a package with spreadsheet of all the locations by area and type (landmark, shopping and out on the town) plus spreadsheets of the NPCs of Hudson City by area and type (criminal, high society, normals) and sell it as a game master kit? I have done the spreadsheets up already for that. You could include a group of 8 x 11 of all the areas and charts you might want to add too.

I actually found the exercise of making these spreadsheets to be good to learn Hudson City. As a game master, I found it a very good way to learn all but I find the maps currently are too hard to read in the small print of the large map. I have blown up the maps a bit to save my eyes. (I am getting old) You could even look at making some other gamemastering aids in it. It would be a good package.

Robert

• 5 months later...

After much work I finally created my own. :D

HCMap.jpg

Picture is kinda poor since I stood on a chair to take this photo and really couldn't fit the whole thing in the frame.

I did this by scanning in the Hudson City map from that book and then blowing it up and importing it as a raster image into a CADD package called MicroStation. I then, over many months, retraced all of the lines by hand. This is the final product. I originally had the background in a pale yellow (like Steve's) but the color plotter at work didn't like that color when I tried to print. The nice thing about this is that it is scaled so that 1" equals exactly 1/4 mile. Since I have it stored as a MicroStation file I can go into the map file and measure any distance to the nearest ten-thousandth of a foot. This is real handy for those long-range sniper shots, etc. The map is just about 40"x32" when I lay it out on my table. Now I just have to find a poster frame that it will fit in.

And sorry, but before anyone asks, you cannot have a copy. After all it is still a copyright protected item.

EDIT: Of course if Steve ever figures out a way to reproduce and sell his map I'll still buy one in a heartbeat.

The files are in MicroStation format (.dgn). MicroStation is a multi-thousand dollar CADD package so I doubt that Mr. Long and company would be able to use the files anyway. I only have access to the software due to my work (I get a home use license). I could try to convert them into AutoCADD (.dwg or .dwf) but I am not sure how well they would translate. MicroStation can read AutoCADD files on the fly (without translation) but I don't think AutoCADD can read MicroStation without translation. I might be able to convert it into an Acrobat format (.pdf) without much trouble.

Steve already has his own, much more impressive map (see the first posts in this thread) and surely If one could be produced he can produce more. If I understand correctly his problem is finding a way to reproduce it economically enough to make it a viable product. My own map is functionally useful for my game but it lacks the artistic quality of the map that Keith Curtis produced.

However if Steve, Darren or whoever is authorized for this sort of thing wants a copy of my files I'd be happy to provide them with what I got.

The files are in MicroStation format (.dgn). MicroStation is a multi-thousand dollar CADD package so I doubt that Mr. Long and company would be able to use the files anyway. I only have access to the software due to my work (I get a home use license). I could try to convert them into AutoCADD (.dwg or .dwf) but I am not sure how well they would translate. MicroStation can read AutoCADD files on the fly (without translation) but I don't think AutoCADD can read MicroStation without translation. I might be able to convert it into an Acrobat format (.pdf) without much trouble.

Steve already has his own, much more impressive map (see the first posts in this thread) and surely If one could be produced he can produce more. If I understand correctly his problem is finding a way to reproduce it economically enough to make it a viable product. My own map is functionally useful for my game but it lacks the artistic quality of the map that Keith Curtis produced.

However if Steve, Darren or whoever is authorized for this sort of thing wants a copy of my files I'd be happy to provide them with what I got.

For myself I would be happy with a high resolution PDF version that I could print out in sections or have printed full size.......

Nice work!

Just to be clear, the problem is not the printing of them so much. That could easily be arranged. The problem is finding an acceptable service that will print on demand, tube, and ship them for a price the customers are willing to pay. We don't want to have to keep a stock of them, nor deal with the hassle of a completely separate line of shipping.

Nice work!

Just to be clear, the problem is not the printing of them so much. That could easily be arranged. The problem is finding an acceptable service that will print on demand, tube, and ship them for a price the customers are willing to pay. We don't want to have to keep a stock of them, nor deal with the hassle of a completely separate line of shipping.

if you offered it in PDF format customers could deal with their own print issues using a service like Kinko's or Printfu... :)

(just cause these maps are so cool... and I am envious)

if you offered it in PDF format customers could deal with their own print issues using a service like Kinko's or Printfu... :)

(just cause these maps are so cool... and I am envious)

I am totally on board with that line of thought.....:D