Women!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lucky

Re: Women!

Just noticed that in 5ER there are 10 example characters that are male' date=' 2 females[/quote']

No surprise, given HERO Games' persistent attitude towards women. I mean, they even--in an archaic and chauvinistic move--chose to use the male pronoun throughout the main book. The character balance doesn't surprise me in the least.

I tried writing a rpg once and got much of the way through the introduction before becoming distracted. I was proud of my note on pronouns though:

Throughout this tome I will be using both the male and female pronouns. It may sometimes seem that I am just doing this randomly to confuse and annoy you[1].

Footnotes:

[1] In which case you are unusually perceptive.

:uranus:

No surprise' date=' given HERO Games' persistent attitude towards women. I mean, they even--in an archaic and chauvinistic move--chose to use the male pronoun throughout the main book. The character balance doesn't surprise me in the least.[/quote']

You are kidding right? Using the correct form of writing cannot be seen as chauvinism, it can only be seen as... well... writing correctly. Personally I am annoyed by the use of he/she or by the alternate use of one another through the text.

As for the balance or male/female character, I guess it only has to do with the target audience. A large portion of the players are male after all.

You are kidding right? Using the correct form of writing cannot be seen as chauvinism, it can only be seen as... well... writing correctly. Personally I am annoyed by the use of he/she or by the alternate use of one another through the text.

As for the balance or male/female character, I guess it only has to do with the target audience. A large portion of the players are male after all.

Then wouldn't you get a bigger male audeance with more female characters? :winkgrin:

Then wouldn't you get a bigger male audeance with more female characters? :winkgrin:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! Chicks and gay men should be all over HERO given the character gender balance of the books.... :angel:

Yeah' date=' that's what I was thinking! Chicks and gay men should be all over HERO given the character gender balance of the books.... :angel:[/quote']

I thought my comment was self-evident but obviously, it fell a little bit short.

Allow me to elaborate some more.

As for the balance or male/female character, I guess it only has to do with the target audience. A large portion of the players are male after all and a large portion of the players (male or female) tend to identify themselves with characters of the same gender. We can see that trend in action movies and comic books. Of course there are exceptions in both medium (Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider) but still a fairly large portion of the heroes are male because the target audience is male. Think about all the Sly Stallone or Arnold movies. Or all the testosterone characters like Conan, Batman or Wolverine.

People generally do not picking up RPG or comic books for sexual arousal.

At least not where I come from :)

Guest lucky

You are kidding right? Using the correct form of writing cannot be seen as chauvinism' date=' it can only be seen as... well... writing correctly.[/quote']

Correct? What, using one pronoun throughout a text is "correct"? Speaking as both an English professor and published author, I can assure you that isn't the case.

Furthermore, I wasn't suggesting using 'he/she' as an alternative; everyone agrees that's clumsy and awkward.

2003-06-04-maney.jpg"Sherman, set the wayback machine to 2002. We're visiting the Hero threads during the gender wars."

"Holy quagmire, Mr. Peabody, won't that be dangerous?"

"Nonsense, Sherman, We'll wear our flame retardent underwear."

Keith "deja vu all over again" Curtis

Correct? What' date=' using one pronoun throughout a text is "correct"? Speaking as both an English professor and published author, I can assure you that isn't the case.[/quote']

I might have misunderstood your meaning. Can you give me an example or two of what you consider a chauvinistic approach (it doesn't have to be from one of the books, it can only be general) and the corresponding correct form according to you?

Furthermore' date=' I wasn't suggesting using 'he/she' as an alternative; everyone agrees that's clumsy and awkward. [/quote']

I totally agree. I guess your example, if you are kind enough to provide one, will show me what is the alternative you suggest.

Guest lucky

I might have misunderstood your meaning. Can you give me an example or two of what you consider a chauvinistic approach (it doesn't have to be from one of the books' date=' it can only be general) and the corresponding correct form according to you?[/quote']

I wasn't looking to impose any kind of awkward grammar on anyone and I hope that's not how I came off.

My problem is with a nonfiction text (in this case an entire series of gaming books) using the male pronoun exclusively. The outdated rationale that the male pronouns are somehow neuter is totally bogus. When one writes "he," one is referring to men, not men and women. This has been clearly demonstrated time and again in studies, surveys and a million graduate theses. Using one pronoun exclusively will inevitably alienate half of potential readers. This is NOT my opinion, this is NOT anecdotal--I can direct you to the articles, journals, theses and books which illustrate how this process works.

I'm not concerned with "correct," I'm concerned with "inclusive." Using male pronouns is certainly correct from a grammatical perspective, but at the end of the day it means that the text is talking about men, period.

Inclusive language alternates pronouns. Whenever a generic or nonspecific example is used in the HERO book, a male pronoun is used. Why not swap? Why can't one example use "he" and the next example use "she"?

Half-assed compromises like "he/she" and "s/he" are clumsy, ill-fitting and will never catch on in daily use. Learning to think of one's audience as more than white men can catch on.

2003-06-04-maney.jpg"Sherman, set the wayback machine to 2002. We're visiting the Hero threads during the gender wars."

"Holy quagmire, Mr. Peabody, won't that be dangerous?"

"Nonsense, Sherman, We'll wear our flame retardent underwear."

Keith "deja vu all over again" Curtis

I wish I could have written the final episode, where it turns out that Mr. Peabody is an evil genius bent on twisting time just a little bit at a time to fit his master plan, and Sherman is his unwitting accomplice.

(So much for serious boards)

I wasn't looking to impose any kind of awkward grammar on anyone and I hope that's not how I came off.

My problem is with a nonfiction text (in this case an entire series of gaming books) using the male pronoun exclusively. The outdated rationale that the male pronouns are somehow neuter is totally bogus. When one writes "he," one is referring to men, not men and women. This has been clearly demonstrated time and again in studies, surveys and a million graduate theses. Using one pronoun exclusively will inevitably alienate half of potential readers. This is NOT my opinion, this is NOT anecdotal--I can direct you to the articles, journals, theses and books which illustrate how this process works.

I'm not concerned with "correct," I'm concerned with "inclusive." Using male pronouns is certainly correct from a grammatical perspective, but at the end of the day it means that the text is talking about men, period.

Inclusive language alternates pronouns. Whenever a generic or nonspecific example is used in the HERO book, a male pronoun is used. Why not swap? Why can't one example use "he" and the next example use "she"?

Whatever.

Just noticed that in 5ER there are 10 example characters that are male' date=' 2 females and an alien. I was surprised at the balance. Just thought I'd mention it. :)[/quote']

Actually, this is pretty good representation. For every ten male gamers, there are two female gamers and one alien.

Go to your local FLGS and count 'em.