The Brat Pack

nexus

Re: The Brat Pack

You must be kidding. :shock:

And if not, then please tell me that these... abominations get killed at the end of the story.

It was a satire, albeit a very angry satire. And yes, everyone dies when Maximortal returns and draws his power back out of them.

The entire group is only about one step past Image characters, but then Image titles definitely drift into satire fairly often.

You must be kidding. :shock:

And if not, then please tell me that these... abominations get killed at the end of the story.

....I wish I could.

At the end they do reveal the identity of the Great Supervillian, Dr. Blasphemy. And it's exactly who you think.

He's just standing there, waiting for the heroes to show up, and they don't.... because.... GHNNNNN.

It's just unpleasant.

....I wish I could.

At the end they do reveal the identity of the Great Supervillian, Dr. Blasphemy. And it's exactly who you think.

He's just standing there, waiting for the heroes to show up, and they don't.... because.... GHNNNNN.

It's just unpleasant.

Oh do tell!

PM or Spoiler if you must but now my curiosity has been piqued.

Now I'm curious: just what is Maximortal? Is it worse than Bratpack? Better? Or as bad?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw OddHat's description. I'm guesing we're talking "darkest of the Iron Age" here.

Yeah, pretty much. I got the dark humour in Brat Pack, but the MaxiMortal mini series just turned me off.

Have to agree with this one. The One and Brat Pack were amazing but Maximortal just went completely off the deep end. It was bad. I collected the series but never finished reading it Oh, look I'm repeating what I said earlier in this thread.

Here's an overview from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Maximortal-Rick-Veitch/dp/0962486477

Have to agree with this one. The One and Brat Pack were amazing but Maximortal just went completely off the deep end. It was bad. I collected the series but never finished reading it Oh, look I'm repeating what I said earlier in this thread.

Here's an overview from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Maximortal-Rick-Veitch/dp/0962486477

...this superhero deconstruction is... a perfect starting point for those new to the medium.
My God. Think of the people who actually started on comics with something like this. If "started" would be the right word.

I've sent Enforcer84 and FenrisUlf PMs of who Doctor Blasphemy is. It's not a joke.

The funny thing is, Veitch pulled back from his original ending. The one in the trade paperback is not as dark as the one in the original issues.

:eek:

What was that one like?

Suddenly it's becoming clear to me why this guy's run on Aquaman sucked so very very much.

Really when a writer produces crap like this, he should never -ever- be allowed to write another comicbook again.

Well, see, that's the thing with this book. It's not really crap. It's bad, but not bad in a "poorly crafted" way, but bad in a "you now feel unclean for having read it" way. For what it is, it's well done; but what it is isn't very pleasant.

Rick Veitch very definitely has talent, and he choose to direct it in very odd (and sometimes unpleasant) ways.

Well, see, that's the thing with this book. It's not really crap. It's bad, but not bad in a "poorly crafted" way, but bad in a "you now feel unclean for having read it" way. For what it is, it's well done; but what it is isn't very pleasant.

Rick Veitch very definitely has talent, and he choose to direct it in very odd (and sometimes unpleasant) ways.

That may be so, but I stick by my original statement.

The problem with Veitch is endemic in fiction today.He's forgotten that good stories require sympathetic characters.

He's been infected by the popular zeitgeist that "Interesting characters have to be twisted perverts!Even -no-especially the heroes!And put them them-and the reader-through as much sex and violence as possible!"

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown.

The problem with Veitch is endemic in fiction today.He's forgotten that good stories require sympathetic characters.

The thing is, though, that Brat Pack, unlike Maximortal, is good.

The kids themselves, Chippy especially, actually are sympathetic characters, at least at first. It's just that they are victims rather than heroes.