Sin City

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

There are times I hate being a movie critic for one of the local radio stations, and sometimes I love it to death.

This is one of the love it to death moments.

See this movie, guys. Its worth the time and money. Robert Rodriguez is genius for putting this film together. It quite honestly looks like he filmed the comic book, right off the page.

Re: Sin City

There are times I hate being a movie critic for one of the local radio stations, and sometimes I love it to death.

See this movie, guys. Its worth the time and money. Robert Rodriguez is genius for putting this film together. It quite honestly looks like he filmed the comic book, right off the page.

The commercials certainly look like a Frank Miller comic. Awesome.

I just don't think they needed to put all that Dick Tracy makeup on Mickey Rourke. He looks enough like Marv as is. :D

JG

Thanks for the info, Jack. Since I'm a fan of Frank Miller's I probably would have seen it anyway, but it's nice to get a thumbsup from someone whose movie judgement I trust.

Are you going to post your review?

Guest Worldmaker

Thanks for the info, Jack. Since I'm a fan of Frank Miller's I probably would have seen it anyway, but it's nice to get a thumbsup from someone whose movie judgement I trust.

Are you going to post your review?

Sin City

My Rating: * * * * * (Out of 5)

The first thing fans of the comic book Sin City need to know about the new Robert Rodriguez/Frank-Miller directed film is this: if you have read the book, you know what's going to happen, scene for scene. The second thing fans of the comic book need to know is that knowing what's about to happen doesn't matter for shit. This movie is still one hell of a roller-coaster ride.

The film combines three of the comic book's stories, A Big Fat Kill, The Hard Goodbye, and That Yellow Bastard, with a lead in from The Customer's Always Right. The directors have interwoven the story in chronological order, with very little confusion... you never get lost over which storyline is which, and to me that's pretty amazing given the similarity of the characters and setting.

The film is violent... and by "violent" I mean if it manages an R-rating (at the time of the review Sin City still hadn't been rated and there's a chance for an NC-17) its going to be the most violent R rated film I've ever seen. Keep the kids at home for this one, folks, because this time the R means "We really, really mean it!" What little nudity there is hardly contributes to the rating at all. There is, of course, adult language, but to tell you the truth its buried so deep in Frank Miller's wonderful scripting that it barely exists as a speedbump.

Visually, the film is stunning. Most of the sets and scenery were created digitally, but unlike Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow where the background occasionally distracted, in this movie the digital work is just sublime. Likewise, the occasional use of color for emotional impact is, like in the comic book this film is based on, a work of genius.

As far as the performers are concerned, the three that pop immediately to mind as outstanding are Clive Owen as Dwight, Mickey Rourke as Marv, and Elijah Wood as Kevin. Owen, whose pretty much always done a good job in every film I've seen him in, regardless of how crappy the film itself was, makes Dwight both sympathetic and vicious. Rourke disappears into Marv, and can deliver Miller's dialog with surprisingly skillful timing and wit. As for Wood, when I first learned he was taking on the role of the cannibal serial killer Kevin, I honestly laughed. How, I asked, could Frodo Baggins ever hope to convince me that he was an inhuman monster?

Guys, he convinced me. As imposing and scary some of the other villains in this film are (especially Michael Clarke Duncan's turn as Manute), Elijah Wood comes across in this film as a man with whom you never, ever want to fuck. Ever.

People who can't stand film noire, people who can't stand violence and adult themes in their film... stay home because this one isn't for you. But if you're up for it, Sin City is an amazing experience. Enjoy.

This is the most faithful comic book adaption I've ever seen.

Rodriguez pitched it to Miller by saying, "I don't want to adapt Sin City for the screen... I want to translate it." Miller said, "Good choice of words" and the deal was on.

Sounds like they pulled it off. Too cool. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually read a much longer explanation of how Rodriguez got Miller on board. The article I read a year ago said that Rodriguez actually bankrolled a small "shoot", got Miller to fly in, with the pitch, "Come and see what we're doing. If you like it, you sign on. If you don't, you've got a 15 minute film that you can show to your friends at parties."

Anyway... The film ROCKED. Funny thing is, I don't remember it being as brutal as it was. I think that's because a two-tone comic doesn't carry the same depth of action as, say, seeing someone actually RIP a man's equipment off with his bare hands.

Make no mistake... this is a brutal film. But the fact that they made it just like the comic and managed the same style of visual imagery, makes it great fun. I watched the scene where Shelly's boyfriend is trying to talk her into opening the door and that whole scene is pretty much word for word from the comic.

And for those wanting to add a little SIN CITY to your DC campaigns...

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscomic/comicchar.html#SC

Edit: Methinks I need to re-edit some of those character sheets. Clean them up and flesh them out with some of the cinematic skills from DARK CHAMPIONS. Hmm... :think:

Edit: Methinks I need to re-edit some of those character sheets. Clean them up and flesh them out with some of the cinematic skills from DARK CHAMPIONS. Hmm... :think:

I'd give Marv more Body, but otherwise :thumbup:

"Son Of A Bitch Must Pay," maybe.

JG

The commercials certainly look like a Frank Miller comic. Awesome.

I just don't think they needed to put all that Dick Tracy makeup on Mickey Rourke. He looks enough like Marv as is. :D

JG

That reminds me, anyone spoted a 5th edition write up on Marv? I wonder if it could be under the superhero cap and still give him the "It's only a flesh wound" feal to him.

Nice, but where is Junior/The Yellow Bastard?

That's it! The next character I'm playing in a dark or morally ambiguous game is Marv. Depending on the genre, he might need a little adaptation, but what a great, great character. Dumb as a box of hammers, but they can't all be perfect...

Marv would also have the "Tell Me What I Want To Know" ability. He also seemed like he had "Tough In A Fight" at 1/2 Damage Reduction and Combat Luck. He was just damn near unstoppable unless hit from behind. :)

These suggestions all sound good -- I'll almost certainly use them.

Any others? :)

These suggestions all sound good -- I'll almost certainly use them.

Any others? :)

Well, someone earlier mentioned "Son Of A Bitch Must Pay", and I would second that. I would also suggest "Necksnapper", "It Looks Worse Than It Is" (due to the incredible abuse he suffered and survived, including a certain scene with him in a chair), and "Brawler" too. I could also definitely see "Unimpressed" on his character sheet. Marv was just one scary tough SOB.