Sin City

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Sin City

I found it interesting that, while I did like the movie, I found that putting it on the screen made it MORE "comic-booky" than it was as a comic. It's one of those things about comics... the mind begins to recognize that the art is not a "literal" depiction, but a symbolic one. I never saw Marv as truly this mutant monster... except that his bulk and visage were exaggerated to give impact to how he was perceived in the world... an outward manifestation of his pychological issues, etc.

Then, when these over-the-top images are put on the screen as "literal" images... they look goofy and cartoony to some extent. The beauty of it was that it was crafted to absorb you into that world after a while... just that what my mind's eye readily accepted on the page was jarring and difficult to accept on the screen... at least at first.

I found it interesting that, while I did like the movie, I found that putting it on the screen made it MORE "comic-booky" than it was as a comic. It's one of those things about comics... the mind begins to recognize that the art is not a "literal" depiction, but a symbolic one. I never saw Marv as truly this mutant monster... except that his bulk and visage were exaggerated to give impact to how he was perceived in the world... an outward manifestation of his pychological issues, etc.

Then, when these over-the-top images are put on the screen as "literal" images... they look goofy and cartoony to some extent. The beauty of it was that it was crafted to absorb you into that world after a while... just that what my mind's eye readily accepted on the page was jarring and difficult to accept on the screen... at least at first.

Like I said, it's too "Dick Tracy."

JG

The movie was fantastic!

But the real weird thing was that my wife loved it as well. She was never into comic books, er, ah, "Graphic Novels", but she like the play of light and dark (and always enjoyed those Charles Bronson "Death Wish" movies). She liked The Punisher as well.

I agree that this movie was awesome. Seriously blew me away.

It took me the first 10 minutes to get used to the look of the film. Marv being so weird looking made it hard for me to focus on the film. But after I adjusted to that style, I was totally absorbed by the story and the characters. Great Dark Champions material.

Kevin Smith interviewed Miller and Rodriguez on NPR - the whole interview is about an hour long. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4569989

I read the orginal comics as they came out. I have to admit it actually made more sense as a film because all 3 stories happen at once. The lag between the first issue and the last of those 3 left lots of room for forgetting what the heck was going on and who was who.

I really liked the film.