How would you simulate this power?

Ghost Face

I have a martial artist that I want to create that has the power to get better the longer he fights someone. How would you simulate this ability? I was thinking about having CSLs with some kind of disadvantage that they all could not be used when combat was initially started. What kind of modifier would you give this? And is this how you would do it?

Re: How would you simulate this power?I tend to agree on the CSL as the basis for the build. The most obvious implementation I can think of would be to use Extra Time Limitations on the CSLs. Maybe with an extra Limitation, "cannot start time increment outside of combat" (to prevent starting the countdown before the battle). Probably worth no more than an extra -1/4 (beyond the Extra Time value).

Re: How would you simulate this power?

I have a martial artist that I want to create that has the power to get better the longer he fights someone. How would you simulate this ability? I was thinking about having CSLs with some kind of disadvantage that they all could not be used when combat was initially started. What kind of modifier would you give this? And is this how you would do it?

How much better? You can go lots of ways with this one. I recommend this one, though:

+2 CSL with HtH Combat (or all if you use more than one or two ranged attacks); only after fighting opponent for one turn (-1/2), only against a single opponent (-1) AP: 10; RP: 4.

Then add another layer on, with "only after fighting opponent for two turns (-3/4)", and another, and another....

Alternately, you can set up some sort of absorption to your DEX, only to increase OCV/DCV, only vs., blah blah blah.

Check out the UMA and NH for some cool ideas on this score. And as always, ask Susano. :eg:

Combat Levels with extra time or requires a skill roll: Analyze Style works well for this.

Also, one popular Action Movie power:

Masochistic Justice: Absorption 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (physical, STR, PD), [two powers] simultaneously (+1/2) (15 Active Points).

The more you hurt him, the angrier (and Stronger) he gets. Make it STR, PD, DEX, and REC for even more Action Movie goodness. :)

One approach commonly used in published HERO books for enhancing the combat effectiveness of martial artists is Aid to combat-related Characteristics, such as DEX and SPD.

You could run this as Aid to all desired Characteristics simultaneously, Continuous, Trigger (when character enters HTH combat), Self Only. Once the character enters combat his stats will continue to improve while the Aid is running, until it reaches the maximum you set.

Buy several combat levels with the gradual effect limitation.

I second that emotion.

The most complex way I can think of to do this would be to have an Aid to DEX linked to an attack. However, 5-point CSLs with Gradual Effect obviates any other method, IMO.

Re: How would you simulate this power?Something like this?

Cost Power END
25 Aid 0 1/2d6, Can Add Maximum Of 20 Points, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; entering combat; +1/4), DEX and SPD simultaneously (+1/2), Continuous (+1); Self Only (-1/2) 0
Powers Cost: 25

Something like this?

Cost Power END
25 Aid 0 1/2d6, Can Add Maximum Of 20 Points, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; entering combat; +1/4), DEX and SPD simultaneously (+1/2), Continuous (+1); Self Only (-1/2) 0
Powers Cost: 25
[/quote']Al Hazred, that's closer than anything else that has been presented. I would change it a little bit however because the power I envision doesn't make the character more agile or faster. I would increase the maximum and change the Aid to go to DEX only for calculating OCV/DCV. Is there a limitation value in that? I also like what you did with the trigger. That's perfect for what I envisioned. :thumbup:

1) Use CSLs with "Requires A Skill Roll" with the Roll being Analyze Fighting Style.

2) CSLs with Extra Time/Gradual Effect.

3) Uhm... check the Steel Ninja in NINJA HERO, it has this power, but I forget how I built it.

You could, if you really wanted to, put in a Limitation that it only adds to CV; I'd give this, at most, a -1/4. The reason I didn't is because I thought about how the guy is getting better the longer he fights. Usually in a martial arts character, that's because the guy immerses himself in combat; this is the part of the movie where the main character is a whirling bundle of ass-kicking, rolling over people who hunch over, sliding between legs, and so on. So, essentially, he gets better because that's where he's most at home. Therefore, I didn't put on the limitation; I figure his Acrobatics, Breakfall, etc. are all going to be getting better, too.

3) Uhm... check the Steel Ninja in NINJA HERO' date=' it has this power, but I forget how I built it.[/quote']

9 Battle Computer: Aid DEX 2d6, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (40 Active Points); Must Fight Target For 1 Turn (5 Phases) Before Making Roll (-1 1/4), Only Versus Single Foe (-1), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Analyze Style Roll (-1/2), Only For Increasing OCV And DCV (-1/4)

9 Battle Computer: Aid DEX 2d6' date=' Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (40 Active Points); Must Fight Target For 1 Turn (5 Phases) Before Making Roll (-1 1/4), Only Versus Single Foe (-1), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Analyze Style Roll (-1/2), Only For Increasing OCV And DCV (-1/4)[/quote']

No offense to anyone but isn't that a stupid and costly way to do it. A 2d6 aid will give 7 points on average, or basically just +2 dexterity. It also requires an attack action. So basically the character loses a phase to gain +2 dex [which will only increase the CV by 1 point]. Isn't it just easier to buy:

+5 Dex, no figured characteristics: 1/2, CV only: -1/2, requires a skill roll: -1/2, Must fight foe for 1 turn: -11/2, only versus single foe: -1/2. Total Cost: 3 points.

You can even build an extended version of this with say +15 dex instead of +5 and then include "only +5 dex per turn: -1/2." That would increase the cost to the same 9 points as the aid version. It also requires no loss of action to activate it.

No offense to anyone but isn't that a stupid and costly way to do it. A 2d6 aid will give 7 points on average' date=' or basically just +2 dexterity. It also requires an attack action. So basically the character loses a phase to gain +2 dex [which will only increase the CV by 1 point']. Isn't it just easier to buy:

I think it was far more powerful originally and I cut it down to make it fit into a certain point value. I think I'd build it differently today.

Hey' date=' I like the gradual effect CSLs, myself. Michael mentioned the Steel Ninja write-up so I thought I'd share.[/quote']

Hmm... IMO, Steel Ninja should have +X CSL with a Gradual Effect of (oh...) 1 TURN. That way it gets better at +1 CV per Phase or so. Oh, and 1 TURN of Extra Time. So you fight it for 5 Phases with its starting CV. Once Phase 6 hits, it gets +1 CV until another 5 Phases go by (thus maxing out at CV +5).

What do people think?

No offense to anyone but isn't that a stupid and costly way to do it. A 2d6 aid will give 7 points on average' date=' or basically just +2 dexterity. It also requires an attack action. So basically the character loses a phase to gain +2 dex [which will only increase the CV by 1 point']. Isn't it just easier to buy:

+5 Dex, no figured characteristics: 1/2, CV only: -1/2, requires a skill roll: -1/2, Must fight foe for 1 turn: -11/2, only versus single foe: -1/2. Total Cost: 3 points.

You can even build an extended version of this with say +15 dex instead of +5 and then include "only +5 dex per turn: -1/2." That would increase the cost to the same 9 points as the aid version. It also requires no loss of action to activate it.

If you apply Continuous to that Aid, does it still count as an attack action? Would it be a 1/2 phase action or 0 phase after the intial startup? So the dice roll equals the AP total to add to the characteristic? If this Aid was continuous, that would average out to about +2 DEX per phase right?

RE: Aid costing an attack action. I seem to recall there's an option mentioned for 'basically trivial' powers that target the user being allowed to not take the attack action or even no action at all -- it's part of the Instant Change (as Transform) build, I believe.

I've allowed Aid/Transfer with Self Only to be used as a normal (non-attack) action for a while now, and IMO it's closer to balance. And yes, there really are times to use a Transfer on yourself...