Marvel's Exiles: Hyperion Challenge--build a team to beat him!

megaplayboy

Re: Marvel's Exiles: Hyperion Challenge--build a team to beat him!

I think DC characters are built at a higher level than Marvel characters, and the best simulation for Mjolnir hitting Superman would be for the gamemaster to say, "your hammer bounces off his chest," so I'm taking all twelve Marvel characters to which I may be entitled, and picking only the noblest, the most reliable, the bravest, the mightiest, the most durable, and those most able to work around an opponent with superior physical power. I'm expecting something like the mighty battle from "The Golden Age", and I need Mister Fantastic and friends to come up with a final trump to win this thing.

Well, it may be worth noting that in the first Supes/Goldilocks throwdown during the JLA/Avengers crossover, Thor's hammer smacked Superman through a building. Supes may go to 11 on the Marvel scale of 10, but he can't just shrug off a good "10"-grade hit like ol' Thor delivers.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' it may be worth noting that in the first Supes/Goldilocks throwdown during the JLA/Avengers crossover, Thor's hammer smacked Superman through a building. Supes may go to 11 on the Marvel scale of 10, but he can't just shrug off a good "10"-grade hit like ol' Thor delivers.[/quote']I included Beta Ray Bill (essentially Thor with a much improved personality and a useful sidekick), Hercules (similar to Thor, on a marginally lower power level but again, more stable), Gladiator (a Superman clone who I never liked but who had plenty of power and a stable personality as far as I know), and Hyperion (who I liked in the Squadron Supreme mini-series and can't remember having hated anywhere) in my team. They're the blockers. They have to waste (Kid Miracleman's) New Hyperion's time for a while, so Reed Richards and friends can introduce some scenario-stopper gadget. Obviously I think they're up to drawing New Hyperion's fire. They have to be more to him than "You're so dull - I'll just kill you all for boring me." (sweep attack, heroes die) - or they'd be of no use in the team, and I'd have to pick some other blockers.

I'm just saying, I would take the threat of an evil Superman very seriously. I'll have all twelve heroes, the best I can pick for the job.

I don't see any pro-Marvel bias in my approach, "telling" or otherwise.

I included Beta Ray Bill (essentially Thor with a much improved personality and a useful sidekick)' date=' Hercules (similar to Thor, on a marginally lower power level but again, more stable)[/quote']

Yeah, I'd say they're more stable. Thor's, like, gone off the deep end twice that I can think of offhand

I don't see any pro-Marvel bias in my approach, "telling" or otherwise.

Nah, it's cool to me. 'Sides, the whole fight is Marvel only. I suppose you could pull a ringer in from the Ultraverse or a Transformer or something owing to their publishing history with Marvel, but if you're gonna do that, go with Barry Allen, 'cause according to several issues of Quasar, he's truckin' around the Marvel-verse calling himself Fastforward thse days.

See?

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/quasar.html

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/fastforw.htm

So, he's like a legit pick and everything. Sorta.

Yeah' date=' I'd say they're more stable. Thor's, like, gone off the deep end twice that I can think of offhand[/quote']That's exactly why Thor doesn't get a spot on my team.

But - Hercules was introduced as a foe for Thor. Silver Surfer started out as a herald of Galactus, which is as bad a job description as you can get, and it took him a long while to steady down reasonably. Doctor Strange has gone strange. Professor X has had at least one evil (combined) version that I remember. Scarlet Witch, who I thought about including even though she'd be bound to die in one attack, just in the hope that first she'd get in a hex that would bypass New Hyperion's defences, also started out as a villain, and of course later went nuts and reverted. The Thing, who I rejected as a blocker because he's insufficiently mobile and also underpowered, spent a lot of his early career going violently nuts between complaints and asinine fits of non-cooperation. Simon Williams, Wonder Man, will stand as the perfect example of the sort of guy I wouldn't consider: it's not just that he's got a solid record as a contemptible jerk, but that I can see him, oh-so-clearly, fleeing in cowardly terror from a situation where we couldn't afford that.

If it's a desperate fight for ultimate stakes, and you want utterly reliably, gutsy, committed heroes who have never been anything else and never could be anything else, you're really struggling to find top-level performers in Marvel-world.

Which in my opinion is a bad thing. There should be more of a choice of people you can really count on.

When you absolutely, positively need a guardian who's built not to fail and will keep his mind on the job, Beta Ray Bill's your man. Alien. God. Alien god … Anyway, he's is the one for me. (Unless or until they screw him up of course.) And Captain America was my second pick and automatic choice for overall team leader. Reed Richards was my third pick: a rare jewel, because if he really decides to drop you and has preparation time, he has to be one of the most dangerous minds in the Marvel Universe, and he's one of the most experienced heroes, and among the most stable. The rest was building around them.

Nah, it's cool to me. 'Sides, the whole fight is Marvel only. I suppose you could pull a ringer in from the Ultraverse or a Transformer or something owing to their publishing history with Marvel, but if you're gonna do that, go with Barry Allen, 'cause according to several issues of Quasar, he's truckin' around the Marvel-verse calling himself Fastforward thse days.

See?

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/quasar.html

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/fastforw.htm

So, he's like a legit pick and everything. Sorta.

Say what?? Thanks for the links.

exiles hyperion does seem to be a bit more powerful than the standard version. he's already killed several worlds worth of super heros including all the marvel big hitters of course these where alternate universe version so they probably don't count.

he he just thought of a good one hulk and the absorbing man fast ball special with absorbing man having absorbed a chunk of argonite.

Sounds like a silly story to me.

Well....limited to six...I'd choose the following:

Thor

Iron Man

Captain America

Vision

Scarlet Witch

Moondragon

Yeah....basically an Avengers lineup, but that grouping can handle most threats.(My ideal team adds Sub-Mariner to that list.) Honestly, I think you're overestimating the power of evil Hyperion a bit. The above team should be able to defeat him without too much trouble to be honest.

Rob

Uh, evil Hyperion in the Exiles can withstand nukes, has apparently killed Thor several times in different realities, and killed the Hulk using flash vision. He also claimed to have killed Galactus(!)

Guest C--

Uh' date=' evil Hyperion in the Exiles can withstand nukes, has apparently killed Thor several times in different realities, and killed the Hulk using flash vision. He also claimed to have killed Galactus(!)[/quote']

Firelord and the Surfer have withstood nukes. And Galactus can get pretty weak when he hasn't eaten recently.

What about Garth Ennis' Punisher? The one who somehow killed the entire Marvel Universe? Maybe Hyperion will punch him through a wall, and he'll grab a chunk of argonite that he had hidden or something.

I've already given my first team.

Team 2:

Drax the Destroyer

Squirrel Girl

Ultron

The Hypno Hustler

Odin in the Destroyer Armor

The Vulture

Proteus

Paste Pot Pete

The Fury

The Kingpin

The Toad

Radioactive Man

Radioactive Man's a good choice--he might be able to drain off a lot of Hypes' powers, since he seems to be built on the "cells as living batteries" doubletalk the current Supes (and Apollo, for that matter) are.

And of course, if Squirrel Girl delivers the killing blow, that's sufficient humiliation to ensure he doesn't come back. :eg:

I think he has a time or two.

Thor's defeated Hyperion one-on-one twice that I can recall. Also, there were a couple other occasions when the Avengers fought the Squadron Supreme where Hyperion and another Squadron member had to doubleteam Thor just for a stalemate.

This appears to be a completely different Hyperion judging by the kills he boasted about.

Of course, he's also a 'villain'. In Dr. Doom's mind, I don't think he's ever lost to the FF either. :)

Uh' date=' evil Hyperion in the Exiles can withstand nukes, has apparently killed Thor several times in different realities, and killed the Hulk using flash vision. He also claimed to have killed Galactus(!)[/quote']

Ah...so they beefed him up for no apparent reason....ignoring all continuity. Sorry. I take the character's entire history into mind when analyzing...not the whims of one writer who felt said character "wasn't tough enough". And...for 90%(or more) of evil Hyperion's history....my earlier statements about who could beat him are more than valid. Thor once had the power of Odin too....but I'm not going to use that as my bar for determining who he could beat. Now, if the Exiles take place in a totally separate universe....than by all means, I'll take back everything I said. I don't read comics as much as I used too...mainly due to the ridiculous ignoring of continuity...of which you demonstrated for me.

Rob

Ah...so they beefed him up for no apparent reason....ignoring all continuity. Sorry. I take the character's entire history into mind when analyzing...not the whims of one writer who felt said character "wasn't tough enough". And...for 90%(or more) of evil Hyperion's history....my earlier statements about who could beat him are more than valid. Thor once had the power of Odin too....but I'm not going to use that as my bar for determining who he could beat. Now, if the Exiles take place in a totally separate universe....than by all means, I'll take back everything I said. I don't read comics as much as I used too...mainly due to the ridiculous ignoring of continuity...of which you demonstrated for me.

Rob

The characters are all brought together from various alternate Marvel universes--therefore it's extremely possible he could be more powerful than the Hyperion(s) who have previously appeared in the comics.

According to the Marvel RPG' date=' it's all natural powers.[/quote']

Interesting. That's why I picked Rogue, hopeing to drain off some of his defenses before Kyle shot him.

Guest C--

I haven't seen his writeup. Does it have a power rank?

I think it's like Unearthly or Shift X. Him drain lots.

On Leech:

I think it's like Unearthly or Shift X. Him drain lots.
Woo-hoo!

I see no reason to object to the numbers in Jeff Grubb's MH-1: 6851: Marvel Super Heroes: Official Game Adventure: The Breeder Bombs. There, Rogue's power rank with her Power Absorption is Amazing. That is impressive, but it mightn't be enough. Her Amazing rank is certainly enough to make the attack. I don't see here whether Hyperion would need a Psyche or an Endurance feat to nullify it. In the former case, by the sound of it, he has a good chance, and in the latter case a very good chance. And Rogue is in some danger of suffering from a backlash from the attempt.

None of which should discourage a Rogue fan. I'm assuming an uphill fight whatever we try. A Power Absorption attack is one of the most worthwhile things to attempt. And while Leech is the guy you want next to Hyperion, preferably with Nighthawk and an argonite bullet to follow, getting Rogue into position is a lot easier.

The characters are all brought together from various alternate Marvel universes--therefore it's extremely possible he could be more powerful than the Hyperion(s) who have previously appeared in the comics.

So my team to beat him is:

Beak

Doug Ramsay

Squirrel Girl

Frog Man

Aunt May

Jarvis

They are, however, also from alternate realities where they are much more powerful than in the current comics, and as a result any one of them can clean Hyperion's clock without raising a sweat.

Hmmm...that seems a little easy, doesn't it?

Beak

Doug Ramsay

Squirrel Girl

Frog Man

Aunt May

Jarvis

They are, however, also form alternate reali6ties where they are much more powerful than in the current comics, and as a result any one of them can clean Hyperion's clock without raising a sweat.

yes, and at least in Hyperion's case, it doesn't take too much scaling up at all to make him nigh-unbeatable. And a friend told me the version of him which appeared in Earth-X also shrugged off a nuke.

Beak

Doug Ramsay

Squirrel Girl

Frog Man

Aunt May

Jarvis

They are, however, also form alternate reali6ties where they are much more powerful than in the current comics, and as a result any one of them can clean Hyperion's clock without raising a sweat.

Use the Golden Oldie version of Aunt May and give Jarvis an Iron Butler suit (designed by Tony Stark using Skrull technology) and that would make a groovy team for a convention game. :)

Guest C--

On Leech:Woo-hoo!

I see no reason to object to the numbers in Jeff Grubb's MH-1: 6851: Marvel Super Heroes: Official Game Adventure: The Breeder Bombs. There, Rogue's power rank with her Power Absorption is Amazing. That is impressive, but it mightn't be enough. Her Amazing rank is certainly enough to make the attack. I don't see here whether Hyperion would need a Psyche or an Endurance feat to nullify it. In the former case, by the sound of it, he has a good chance, and in the latter case a very good chance. And Rogue is in some danger of suffering from a backlash from the attempt.

None of which should discourage a Rogue fan. I'm assuming an uphill fight whatever we try. A Power Absorption attack is one of the most worthwhile things to attempt. And while Leech is the guy you want next to Hyperion, preferably with Nighthawk and an argonite bullet to follow, getting Rogue into position is a lot easier.

Well, I've read the Exiles storyline in question, and they did have a version of Rogue on the team with him. He let her touch him, and she gained a lot of power, but he was still conscious and active, and his powers didn't seem noticably reduced. They also had Magneto attempt to pull the iron out of his blood. Hyperion laughed at him and told Maggie that he doesn't have iron in his blood.

The Exiles Hyperion is very powerful. He's being written as an evil Superman. But the only difference (power-wise) that I really see between this Hyperion and the mainstream continuity one is that this guy is actually competent. He's brutal and vicious, and he knows what he's doing. The mainstream Hype acts like he's on Superfriends.