Spiderman 2 Webbing Power Questions

Elbandit

Howdy!

In Spiderman 2 we saw spidy do some pretty neat things that I wish to replcate. However I am not quite sure how I would go about doing it.

In one scene police car jumps and goes crashing towards some innocent people. However it is stopped in mid air by a web. How exactly would you perform such a feat in the HERO system?

I am thinking a build using Telekensis with 40 Strength usuable only to stop/catch moving objects. Though I am not sure if that is the best way.

In the train sequence Spiderman catches some people as he is swing and tosses them into a web that he makes. Catching them is obviously a grab and toss manuver. Hoever how would one simulate putting them in the safety of a web? Use an area entangle?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Spiderman 2 Webbing Power Questions

To me, this is just SFX at work. You can use Entangle to make barriers, stretching the Entangle over an area instead of at a single target. Normally, it creates a wall effect, meaning that if you put it up to "catch" something, it will effectively take damage and possibly do damage to whatever hits it. In Spidy's case though, I'd just say it can catch, so long as it's DEF and BODY hold. It effectively counts as slowing down something that hits it rather than stopping it. I wouldn't put any sort of Advantage or Limitation on the Entangle though (other than "Can Only Create Barriers"), as putting up something that doesn't cause damage to things running into it has just as many drawback and advantages as putting up something that does cause damage. If anything, it's a +0 Modifier.

Both Dust Raven's and Bloodstone's suggestions are reasonable and have a lot of merit. One other thing you might consider, though, is Power Skill. That allows you to alter a Power to perform feats that are occasional and improvised, rather than being a permanent part of a character's sheet. A lot of the stunts that Spider-Man pulls with his webs in the comics are based on unique circumstances, and he may not ever do something like that again.

Again, excellent suggestions.

I think though, that your original idea of TK may be good: stick it in an EC or MP with the entangle and it can do all of this (although the entangle may be better at stopping a thrown car instantly, the TK can certainly slow it and stop it eventually, simulating the web stretching....).

The reason I think TK is good for Spidey though is all those times I've seen in the comics where he webs target A and swings it into a wall or target B. Only TK or some weird application of stretching could accomplish this - and if you are going to do it anyway, you can have the TK catch people and cars and such like.

I wouldn't put any sort of Advantage or Limitation on the Entangle though (other than "Can Only Create Barriers")' date=' as putting up something that doesn't cause damage to things running into it has just as many drawback and advantages as putting up something that does cause damage. If anything, it's a +0 Modifier.[/quote']

I agree with this method, simple and to the point representing the ability nicely.

I would consider applying sticky as an advantage, but it would likely be a different MP slot. He has used the web for the classic spiderweb-trap use. Thing is, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't (typical comic book), thus a MP.

I'd use stretching with a few limits for the other stuff (grabbing at range, swinging people around). TK IMO should be reserved for methods that don't have a physical existance in the hexes between user/target.

First, while there are a few uses I have seen Spidey emply that might be explained by a Power Skill, I think these are examples of such common things for him to do that they should be covered by his standard powers. I can't even begin to count the number of times he has stopped vehicles and debris from falling on bystanders, or caught people falling from buildings. It is a definite, planned out part of his shtick.

I think Spidey has an MPP that includes Entangle (with Area of Effect variants) and TK/Stretching. He catches people and things, trips, disarms, and all kinds of stuff that would be hard to explain with just an Entangle and an EB.

Hmmm...stopping falling debris sounds like a force wall to me.

This idea occured to me as well, but like TK, it if far too expensive for it's actuall use. You'd have to make either 0 END and Persistant and AE in the case of TK. FW also has the problem of not being transparent to certain types of attacks (bullets should pass straight through for example). It's why I used the barrier version of Entangle. It's already designed to use all of those special adders and modifiers to accomplish this task. The only trick is catching something rather than bouncing something.

For the first one, I'd go with a Power Skill roll, as someone has already suggested. If you want to make it a serparate power, I'd say Force Wall with a Sticky advantage.

For the second, it's just Stretching and a Strength roll of some sort.

Howdy!

In Spiderman 2 we saw spidy do some pretty neat things that I wish to replcate. However I am not quite sure how I would go about doing it.

In one scene police car jumps and goes crashing towards some innocent people. However it is stopped in mid air by a web. How exactly would you perform such a feat in the HERO system?

I am thinking a build using Telekensis with 40 Strength usuable only to stop/catch moving objects. Though I am not sure if that is the best way.

In the train sequence Spiderman catches some people as he is swing and tosses them into a web that he makes. Catching them is obviously a grab and toss manuver. Hoever how would one simulate putting them in the safety of a web? Use an area entangle?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

You could go with TK, but since it's not a Persistent Power, you'd need to buy it 0 END Persistent, and define some reasonable way for it to turn off (Spidey's webs melt on their own after a short time period, which is why NYC isn't littered with cobwebs), or use another power. Entangle would work, esp for catching people he throws, with an AE (1 hex is fine for most things). You can create barriers with Entangle, the s/e of that would easily represent a large web. :)

Theala

I just had an idea. How about a Missile Deflection? Nothing really defines what happens to attacks that are deflected, so we can just define them as being stuck. Include people as missiles, do it a range, and (okay maybe add a little Linked Entangle to satisfy the itch) we're done! :D

Most of spidey's power tricks can be handled with a very short list of powers in an MP:

Swinging

Stretching

Entangle (which can also be used as a flash variant, IIRC)

I would use stretching for this effect, but I might also allow a player to spread their entangle to achieve the effect in a pinch (maybe requiring a power roll).

Ok, I might be over thinkin gthis one, but here goes anyhow.

Stretching or TK might be fine for catching something and then settign it down, but here we have a situation where we catching something, but keeping it aloft.

So lets say you build this into an MP, as most people will build the web shooters.

Both Stretching and TK are Constant powers. They cost you END (or Charges) every phase. The target is only going to be safe while you maintian the power or until you switch MP slots. Then they fall like a rock. So you would have to buy something like Uncontrolled for the TK in order to keep things in the air and still be able to use the web shooters at full power.

The Entagle is Instant. It stick aroud until it's destroyed or SFX dictates that it goes away (disolves in two hours in Spidy's case).

To me, that seems to make it the best model for this situation.

I just had an idea. How about a Missile Deflection? Nothing really defines what happens to attacks that are deflected' date=' so we can just define them as being stuck. Include people as missiles, do it a range, and (okay maybe add a little Linked Entangle to satisfy the itch) we're done! :D[/quote']

You can's use Missle Deflection to Deflect an Area Effect attack. I would count most people (esp in this day and age!) to be large enough to count as AE.

Theala

You can's use Missle Deflection to Deflect an Area Effect attack. I would count most people (esp in this day and age!) to be large enough to count as AE.

Ah, but you may be able to if the Special Effects are reasonable. The usual example is if the Area of Effect Attack is carried in a projectile such as a grenade. I'd think that something which comprises an Area of Effect just because it is big could probably be Missile Deflected.

Would an area effect Missile Deflection be able to deflect an area effect Attack?

=-CraterMaker

possibly.

see the following thread for more information on the subject:

So, how am I supposed to defelect an AE attack?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31776

HM

Guest WhammeWhamme

Pretty simple. Grabbing the car is either TK or Stretching (probably TK, since the webbing can be attacked without hurting him), and the safe barrier is an Entangle set to "wall". THe wall creates a solid object, which they can then be set down upon.