Herophile Fantasy art

AmadanNaBriona

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Herophile Fantasy art

Death Tribble wanted an Evil Whale. My first go around tried to animorphasize the beastie, but DT really wanted a pretty straight up baleen whale. I gave it a bit of a "chin" growth and red eyes to hopefully push it a bit into 'eeeeevvvviilll!!" territory. But I'm not sure.

evilwhaleII72copy_zps035ba406.jpg

This is another in Paul T's Exalted femme fatale series. This time, it is Red Lotus Blossom, described to me as a redhead (but using an actresses very orange hair color), wearing red, and being a "sword princess" but with a naginata (if I preferred.. yes, I preferred! I get to draw swords all the time, naginatas are much more rare!)

RedLotusF72_zpsa517c578.jpg

p.s. Really, really diggin' my Cintiq!!!

• 1 month later...

Back from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico! Back to the studio! Back to the drawing board!

While I haven't posted much art of late, I have been busy doing art and now I can share some of it with you. First up, another oddball concept from Death Tribble. This time I was the one who pushed for doing the head inside the chest...originally, it was supposed to be a helmet with water/fluid suspending the disembodied head. I wanted to push the concept just a tad further and this is what I came up with...

Additionally, it is the first time I've done digital inks in a long time, and the first time on my wacom Cintiq. I was pretty fast and more importantly, happy with the result. Much, much easier than inking on a wacom tablet.

ArmorAqua72_zps07dced54.jpg

Next up is another private commission... Warrior with mystic sword.. the patron went into some detail on how the sword was all jaggedy and energized.

Krolovik72_zps0a7153c0.jpg

Next are two images from the first kickstarter I'm discussing today. These are from "The Skies of Danbury"... a follow up to the "Within the Devil's Reach" adventure. This is for the game, Dungeon World. The cover, followed up by an interior. You can find the already-funded Skies of Danbury kickstart here:

skyships72_zps22409db1.jpg

Jasmine100_zpsf507f97b.jpg

And for superhero lovers, this is an image for a Mutants and Masterminds Villains pack. Link to that is here and this worthy project is NOT funded yet, so it could use your help:

Corbin72_zpsa604650d.jpg

note: This was also digitally inked.

• 4 weeks later...

Additionally, it is the first time I've done digital inks in a long time, and the first time on my wacom Cintiq. I was pretty fast and more importantly, happy with the result. Much, much easier than inking on a wacom tablet.

How did you find the transition to the Cintiq? I find the disconnect from eye to hand a pain with the tablet.

I know you've posted this before, but what has been your favorite coloring medium?

Jake

Coloring Monkey

How did you find the transition to the Cintiq? I find the disconnect from eye to hand a pain with the tablet.

I know you've posted this before, but what has been your favorite coloring medium?

Jake

Coloring Monkey

Oh, I took to the Cintiq like duck to water. It was so easy after using a wacom tablet for years. To look right down on what I was drawing is SO huge. I can now actually draw and ink, which I couldn't do before, I could only paint in lines that scanned in. I think my inking by hand is still a bit more vibrant than the digital inking, but it is pretty close. And I think my pencil work is still considerably better than drawing on the Cintiq, but for certain things it is awesome (like blocking in large areas).

Here are a couple of fantasy pics. Trying to get a tad more movement and action into these character concept shots. It isn't always appropriate, due to the tone or personality of the character... but I try to remember to do action occasionally instead of just a pose where possible. Let y'all be the judges... enjoy!

I've done Wilson down there twice before. He has been upgraded with mystical armor, as per the patron's request.

WilsonSladeIIF72_zps3c98ebba.jpg

And to make this guy's 2 handed warhammer a bit on the large side. I aim to please. Should I have pushed it even further? To, say, some anime or online MMO stylings of large hammers? I still shirk towards the realm of "somewhat believable . Again, y'all be the judges!

ClortonF72_zps5b865667.jpg

• 7 months later...
The Devil is in the Details.

Well, in this case, Devil is coming out of the arch way.  Here is a commission done for my awesome patron, Paul C.  This one was a lot of fun to do, especially while watching my beloved Packers beat the Ravens yesterday.  (I have two monitors, so I can watch stuff while I work).  But I did the finishes this morning, early afternoon.

I had the layout in my head before starting the painting.  I pencilled both the demon and Dana there on separate paper, scanned them in, created the cathedral and statuary in Manga Studio 5, combined it all in Photoshop and then did a semi-sorta digital underpainting.

I have not released a lot of the Paul C commissions as LPJ Design Portfolios because the time that goes into them, I don’t want to release them at the price point those portfolios go for. So.  If anyone needs some 2nd use printing rights for covers or what have you, these paintings will go for a lot less than 1st use artwork.  And I will make some extra monies that is more reasonably compensation.

DanavsDevil72_zpsb32afc69.jpg

And since the thread has lurched zombie-like, back to life: here's a couple of pictures from our recent gaming.

This one's called "sneak" - as in: we sneak in, we rescue the prisoner, we get out and nobody's any the wiser ....

Yeah, right.

attachicon.gifsneak.jpg

cheers, Mark

That guy in the back, I swear I can hear him saying "Stop right there, criminal scum!"

Funnily enough, that sort of line belongs to the guy in the front ... although he's also the kind of guy who says "Ooh, that'll leave a mark" as he cleaves his greatsword through somebody's shoulder :)

You know, the type - a smile, a quip, a helping hand, and a trail of blood-drenched corpses.

cheers, Mark

Indeed. I think morality plays out differently when you really can see things as black and white. There's no debate about whether something is evil, if you can actually reliably look at it and say "That's evil" or look at things and reliably rank them on a "scale of evilness". As a result, I play this character (who's called Myrial) as a cheerful happy-go-lucky chap, with a bit of a fixation with swords, who also firmly believes that there are some things/people which just deserve to be hacked into quivering, smouldering pieces.

I did this picture to make the point. It's inspired by one of his quotes: "I said, "Paladin", not "Pacifist"". :)

post-227-0-80588000-1382262242_thumb.jpg

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

One of the Comics I read has occasional phases of "wierd storytelling". Background is that one of the Characters has long and wierd dreams and now started telling them to others as Stories.

Especially the "Knight in Fur" Storyline is nice and has interesting art and fits the Fantasy Theme of this Thread quite nicely.

Note that the comic itself is NSFW (Alcohol, Nudity and Sexual Themes), but nothing too extreme.

So far there have been three parts in the series (but the 3rd has just stared as of wirting this):

1st Part

2nd Part

3rd Part

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another picture: the basic concept is the same - a recent incident from one of our games. The main reason for the image though was me trying to work with light emitters. Once I'd done that, I thought to try and jazz the image up with some motion blur, make it more dynamic ... I dunno if it worked, but I learned some stuff :)

tumblr_mws8xxNEZ61t01oxvo1_1280.jpg

cheers, Mark

• 3 months later...
HUGE art dump!

Folks, I've had such a horrendous time with my failing computer.  I won't go into it, except I'm still down a video card (which I love having dual monitors, having reference on one screen while working on my Cintiq), but the rest of the machine is up and running with new motherboard, new processor, a bit more RAM, new power supply etc.

But I've been plugging away at doing art, sometimes pilfering my wife's laptop and using my ancient wacom while the main puter is all in pieces.

So, got a ton of images for you.

First up, I was honored and lucky to get a chance to do the cover for "Wield!", John Wick's RPG on being powerful, mystical, highly intelligent and cunning artifacts and trying to get that lame brain barbarian who carries you to do the things you want him to do.  Or that pathetically weak, sorcerer king to give you something for all that strength you lend him.

Check out John Wick's Kickstarter video...  

On that youtube site are links to the pdf of the game itself.  Seems really cool.

So.  Without more rambling, here is the cover!  Hope you like!

WieldCoverVII72_zps245ac32b.jpg

Next up, I have several commissions for Death Tribble I've been meaning to get up for some time, but computer woes, deadlines and sheer inertia have prevented my from getting these up til now.

Here is a bobby with some kind of shadow powers...

Bobby72_zps964034e0.jpg

Next.  Death Tribble wanted a straight up Kendo master, no apparent super gadgets or anything...

Kendo72_zps6aaa21a5.jpg

Next, we have a huminoid crocodile.  DT picked up on what I thought was pretty subtle Egyptian motifs immediately.  Can't get nuthin past that guy...

Croc72_zps80596f51.jpg

Next, a modern-ized Roman Legionnaire.  I got this one today, having put it off for deadlines for the video card game, Clash of Dragons.  I am not sure when I can show CoD artwork, still checking in with the client on that one.  But this was one I really was looking forward to doing.

LegionnaireF72_zpsd9cd468c.jpg

I like the techno-legionnaire a lot. Great as always, Storn!

The croc-man reminds me of a society of gatormen I created for Exalted. For a sample character, I drew a gatorman warrior. It was of course pretty poor work compared to the people posting here. Still, I'll try to insert it into this post (and probably fail, because I haven't learned the codes yet, but oh well. If this doesn't work but you really want to see it, look me up on Photobucket.)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DShomshak/Yaan.jpg

Dean Shomshak