Herophile Fantasy art

AmadanNaBriona

Re: Herophile Fantasy art

First' date=' the bow: it needs to be bent more at full draw -- the one in the picture would have to spring back [i']past[/i] the vertical to send the arrow any further than the archer's feet :)

Well recurve bows do spring back past the vertical! Of course, this isn't a recurve bow. :(

Now you point it out I can see the problem - and also how it arose. I made the bow bigger to give me the composition I wanted - but of course had to reduce the tension of the bow so it could be drawn. A triumph of style over verisimilitude!

Second' date=' the grip: the hand looks more like the bow stave is pulling away from the palm rather than pushing into it. Maybe if the heel of the thumb were compressed and the fingers loosened it might look better? I don't know how flexible Poser is when it comes to micro-detailing like this though, so it may be more trouble than it's worth.[/quote']

Actually it is pretty good at micromanagement, but a simpler solution would be to move the bow slightly futher back and just tighten the two lower fingers. I need to think about tension more, obviously.

Still a nice pic though. You seem to be getting the hang of this Poser/Bryce thingummy :)

Thanks for the tips! I reckon given another 10 years, I might be getting somewhere. Of course, by then, as Andy points out, the really good people will have moved on, so I still won't be happy with anything I do!

cheers, Mark

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pic. I hope his tetanus boosters are up to date.

On a non-subject-related note: this image is an excellent illustration of the problems of working images between Macs and PCs; anything I create or scan on a PC inevitably looks washed out when viewed on a Mac, while I almost always have to shift the gamma down in Mac-created images to bring out details. Those computer platforms, they're wacky! :)

wonderful mardok,

I also had to adjust the brightness to see the pic.

and the rope is not right. he not hanging right.

Lord Ghee

Actually it's hard to see, but if you look the rope goes round behind him - it's looped around his belt - and then comes around his side (you can see it coming out under the belt by the knife and down between his legs so he can stop his descent by grabbing the rope with his legs in case he needs both arms.

He's not just hanging by one arm (although that would be much studlier).

Cheers, Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Very Warhammer 40K-esque. :)

That was sort of the intention. I generally tend towards more practical armour like this.

This is one of my old characters, Caillé, of the order of Warrior-nuns the Little Sisters of Carnage :D

You probably can't tell from the picture, but she used to be a guy.....

cheers, Mark

That was sort of the intention. I generally tend towards more practical armour like this.

This is one of my old characters, Caillé, of the order of Warrior-nuns the Little Sisters of Carnage :D

You probably can't tell from the picture, but she used to be a guy.....

cheers, Mark

So she's Chyna? (Sorry Pro wrestling reference. )

So she's Chyna? (Sorry Pro wrestling reference. )

No, there was this magic item, see, but it had a kind of curse on it....

I should have seen it coming actually - even before the sudden magical sex-change, the character had (in reverse order) lost a hand, been subjected to forced religious conversion, been subject to magical compulsion to kill, lost his memory, suffered a nervous breakdown and been robbed of what few possessions he started with....

It's a good things she's a warrior - she has a lot of suppressed agression to work off :D

cheers, Mark

No, there was this magic item, see, but it had a kind of curse on it....

I should have seen it coming actually - even before the sudden magical sex-change, the character had (in reverse order) lost a hand, been subjected to forced religious conversion, been subject to magical compulsion to kill, lost his memory, suffered a nervous breakdown and been robbed of what few possessions he started with....

It's a good things she's a warrior - she has a lot of suppressed agression to work off :D

cheers, Mark

Ah, sounds like the exploits of your average Tunnels and Trolls delver ;)

• 2 weeks later...

doodles done during play. This is for a playtest for Giants... the game where size does matter... or fe fi fo FUN!!!! Jeff of the Sons of Kryos, is creating this game and I've been in two playtests of it. I'm really excited about it. Here is a thread where jeff is talking about what he is starting.

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21994.0

As for the art, the guy in the river is Reed... and is my character. His sister, Delphina is the one coming out of the fountain... where she is regarded by her community as the Goddess of the Sea.... whereas I'm the smaller brother upriver and that is my desmense. Delphina was played by Julia, Jeff's wife... and she is an awesome player and was SO big sister to my impetuous little brother. Ton of fun. Literally!

Reed.jpg

Delphina.jpg

Here are a couple of illustrations I've done relating to an Ars Magica campaign I'm running (OK I've ditched the rule set apart from the magic system, and the campaign is set in the 19th century, but I hope it still counts as fantasy for the purpose of this thread...)

The first pic is one Belinda Hayes, Magus of House Guernicus:

belinda.jpg

The second is a faerie NPC known as Plinth (long story) evading a rather unpleasant Jotun in a Faerie realm tied up with the ongoing politics of the campaign:

battle2.jpg

This is no particular character - but it is a particular place: White Feather Castle from my Sengoku game.

Took me two whole evenings to get the *%#*ing castle done, but it's a pretty accurate rendering of the original map and sketch. The castle's not perfect, and this is a small, low-res version of the image, but on the whole, I'm not too unhappy with how it came out.

cheers, Mark

You play Sengoku Markdoc? Do you ever visit our GRG forums to talk about it? I've been trying to get more activity on the boards, but it sort of comes in spurts.

Regarding the pic, VERY NICE! That wouldn't happen to be the new models DAZ released would they because that looks way better than their samples.