The Sanguine News!

GoldenAge

I've created a news organization for my Epic City campaign called The Sanguine News. It’s a great way to seed the players with information and NPC contacts that they may not usually have access to. Investigative reporters are a savvy lot.

It's also become a great way to chide the characters for ruining public property and the occasional loss of innocent life. I'm having a great time making the papers! The players love them.

Take a look!

Re: The Sanguine News!

I've created a news organization for my Epic City campaign called The Sanguine News. It’s a great way to seed the players with information and NPC contacts that they may not usually have access to. Investigative reporters are a savvy lot.

It's also become a great way to chide the characters for ruining public property and the occasional loss of innocent life. I'm having a great time making the papers! The players love them.

Take a look!

Okay, now I'm envious.

Cool stuff

Thanks guys!

I'm an old graphics hack. Used to be a Creative Director. I've Worked for Kraft in Chicago, SBC in St. Louis and a few others. Now I'm retired (YAY) and all I do is play with my kids (Mr. Mom), work on visuals for my campaign and come here to read your posts.

It's a grand life. I hope it lasts!!!

that is mighty sweet. Been thinking about this idea, and other possibilities of the same type since I saw the idea mentioned yesterday.

Now... does anyone remember way back in Champions II or Champions III where this idea was presented by A.A. (I think)? Makes me wish I still had those old gems.

That is truly inspiring. Devinitely worthy of envy. My questin to you is this: Do you do up the whole newspaper? If not' date=' how many pages do you write? Where do you get those pictures from?[/quote']

Do I do the whole Newspaper??? Heh, no way. I usually do a front page with a bunch of ticklers. There are names of CEOs and reporters, events and recaps... it’s all my players can do to deal with that much information (if ya know what I mean). :drink:

Besides I’m more a graphics guy than a writer. I can come up with killer long and short-term scenarios for Epic City but I don’t have the patience to write everything down. I actually encourage my players to take up the mantle of writers for the game. It involves them more deeply than if they just show up for a Saturday night romp.

I create the pics myself or find them on the web. There are TONS of great amateur and professional art sites out there. As long as I’m not reselling their work and using it entirely for my own personal entertainment I don’t feel bad borrowing what I need.

In the case of the big monster picture… I took a digital photograph of a toy I was using (I actually created the monster based on the toy) and used Photoshop to crop it and set it into another background (I added the two children for dramatic effect – they came from a Superman comic and were originally being saved by the big blue boy scout)

I’m also an illustrator, so if I can’t find what I need, I make it myself. :D

Do you create one of these papers every adventure?

Nah, I give one out about every quarter. But we only play every other week so that's about every 6 or 8 gaming sessions.

Honestly, the group needs the time to act on the leads they've already dug up. The Sanguine News is just one of many information sources for the characters. It's meant to be broad and interesting... usually only giving out top-level info. From there the onus is on the players to seek out more tangible intelligence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Never stop trying!

I'd recommend to anyone that wants to make a newspaper for their game that they surf the Internet for existing newspapers.

Chicago Tribune, New York Times, LA Times, Kansas City Star, St. Louis Post Dispatch...

You can find pics of their front pages and use them as templates.

http://sportsdesigner.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/ajc1.jpg

http://physics.ucsd.edu/~griest/nytphysics.jpg

http://www.poynterextra.org/extra/gallery2002/images/thumbs/KCS.jpg

• 2 years later...