MERIQUAI FALLS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Crimson-Hawk

It's time for me to once again prove my presumptiousness and egotism. :D

Seriously, I need to know what you, the paying customer of Hero Games, want out of a non-Champions Universe supplement to the Champions roleplaying game. What you need out of the book.

Work on Meriquai Falls goes according to my Master Plan. I am rewriting the material originally given in the Digital Hero articles with an eye on detail and accessibility... Now that Millennium City is out, I have a perfect model on how to arrange the information. Once I get my hands on character creation software (which will be either the end of this week or early next week), I'll begin finalizing character sheets.

Currently slated for the e-book, whose page count is still undetermined but will probably be close to twice the size of Millennium City:

• Notes on how to use the City of Meriquai Falls in the Champions Universe, your personal setting, or even as a setting in and of itself.
  • Suggestions on how to use the Meriquai Falls setting in various genres outside of the Champions genre, including Fantasy Hero, Star Hero, Ninja Hero, Pulp Hero, Golden Age Champions, and Dark Champions.
  • A discussion and timeline of the history of Meriquai Falls, with brief discussions on the pre-historic history of the Kingdom of Meriquai. The Kingdom of Meriquai, a Fantasy Hero setting, may get it's own book later on, if I can pitch it past Steve.
  • A treatise on the Meriquai people and their mythology, discussing the totem spirits that govern their beliefs and provide the superhuman abilities possessed by many of the characters of the setting.
  • Details of the City of Meriquai Falls, presented in the same accessible format that Darren used in Millennium City (including the now trusted "GM Section" concept to make the book accessible to both players and GMs). This will be a huge chunk of the book.
  • Close to two hundred plot seeds to use with the Meriquai Falls setting or characters! (three plot seeds per character and three plot seeds per "interesting location" detailed)
  • A fully-detailed adventure reintroducing VIPER into the City of Meriquai Falls and presenting a new, cunning Nest Leader to test the heroes wits!
  • Fifty new characters of various power levels [10 NPC heroes and 40 villains] to use either with the Meriquai Falls setting or to port over to your personal Champions game. The NPC heroes even come with "villain options" if you truly want to open the game up for the PC heroes! (In fact, a couple of the NPC heroes come with their "villain option" already implemented in the official timeline!)

Although I have all of this planned, it is not yet set in stone. What I would like to know is what you would want to see in a new setting book before you spent hard-earned money on it.

I want the fledgeling Hero Plus line to be a success for the company. And I believe it will be, with the installments coming from Allen "Shades of Black" Thomas, Derek "The HERO System Guide to Everything" Heimforth, and Michael "Asian Bestiary" Surbrook. With your help and suggestions, Meriquai Falls will enter their ranks in quality!

Don't be shy... and don't pull any punches! :)

Re: MERIQUAI FALLS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Originally posted by Crimson-Hawk

It's time for me to once again prove my presumptiousness and egotism. :D

Seriously, I need to know what you, the paying customer of Hero Games, want out of a non-Champions Universe supplement to the Champions roleplaying game. What you need out of the book.

Work on Meriquai Falls goes according to my Master Plan...

Oh My God! Crimson-Hawk is secretly... FOXBAT!!!

Seriously, this all sounds great to me. If there's any space left over, I might suggest maps of key, unique locations. I'm a sucker for new places to stage an adventure climax.

I love the idea of "villain options" for NPC heroes. Great idea!

Okay, don't shoot, I don't get Digital Hero (my budget is tight) so I am 'judging blind'. Forgive if I suggest stuff you've already got covered.

Hmmm, just off the top of my head:

I like that you hope to follow the MC format. It gives a more consistent feel to the HERO Products. I know not everyone likes the "GM section" being in the back, but I trust my players, and it makes it easier for both they and I.

The focus for MF is clearly different from the uber high tech MC, and that's great. You mention VIPER, and that's the organization everyone can use. However, beyond that, focus on different groups that MC didn't. For example, PSI is quite powerful in MC, so for MF, I'd give that particular group a pass.

Other things common to the Champions Universe might be fun to lace in the town though. A Scarlet Archer's resturant, just as an example. Hey, it's a chain right? :)

I like the 'villain' options for the heroes you suggest. If MF (or the area it was built on ) had a past hero, Golden Age or so on...a write up of him or her would be good. Heck, might make a good patron or at least now departed role model.

(Not sure others will agree, but I enjoyed MC's hero for each age: Gold, Silver, so on)

Dale, what you describe sounds exciting! I'm definitely looking forward to this one. :)

I once listed some of the things that have given Hero books long-term utility to me in response to Steve Long's request for input on Champions Battlegrounds. You already have two of the big ones, NPCs and plot seeds. For NPCs, I've always appreciated details about them beyond just the character sheet writeups: bases, minions, allies, and modus operandi.

I agree with BoloOfEarth's map suggestion. Besides maps of Meriquai Falls itself, maps of some locations that could be re-used "generically" would be useful as well: buildings, caves, outdoor settings, laboratories, etc.

Some other desirables include:

McGuffins: a few unique items that can be used repeatedly as a source of origins, plot enabling devices, contests for possession of them, etc. From your articles in DH, there's at least one major mystic artifact in Meriquai Falls which could have many developments woven around it.

Tactics: I and my gaming groups have learned a lot about effective combat tactics and other ways to maximize team efficiency from published Champions books. If you have any established hero or villain teams, some notes about their distinctive methods would be educational, not to mention helpful when running them.

Concepts: I've always appreciated books that provide ideas that fill in distinctive mechanics of physics, magic, psionics, cosmology etc. which I could adapt to my own game settings. It sounds as though Meriquai Falls features a rather unusual concept of magic and mysticism, and I'd like to understand a bit of what sets it apart from other mystic conventions.

Environments: It can be a real challenge and a lot of fun for the PCs to run through an unusual environment (alien planet, other dimension or the like) where the "ground rules" are different from what they're used to - different appearance, physical laws like gravity altered, resources the players count on unavailable, even characters' powers functioning differently. I don't know whether any of that would be accessible via Meriquai Falls, but I thought I'd put the suggestion out there.

I hope some of that is of use to you. :)

P.S. I'm sure your summary of the fine stable of Hero Plus authors did not intentionally leave out Scott "Gestalt" Bennie. ;)

Hmmmm. Rather than Viper, I'd prefer to see some other criminal organization. Especially, since at its heart, MF is supposed to be a non-Champions Universe product. Perhaps, an original criminal organization with notes on how you could use the adventure with Viper if you have set MF in the Champions Universe.

Also, quite frankly, I'm sick of Viper. And with a Viper sourcebook due out in August, I think a lot of people would like to see a different take on criminal organizations.

You know, rj has a point. VIPER does tend to get overused, and the high-tech approach seems a little off from the focus of Meriquai Falls.

If you wanted to introduce an existing CU organization, maybe Steve Long would let you play with DEMON? I should think that they'd be interested in the goings-on in that city, and they could certainly be used as super-agents with a mystical rather than technological motif. Individual GMs could substitute the villainous agency of their choice if they prefer.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! Keep them coming!

While I'm still awake and slightly coherent, I did want to address the VIPER issue. Everyone who has touched that subject have a point and I have indeed considered alternatives. Ultimately, I'd like to use an organization from Champions' past supplements which will not be revised in any new Hero Games product. What I'd like and what I'll be allowed to do is two entirely different things, but the worst Steve can do is tell me "no." ;)

My original thought for a "replacement" for VIPER was COIL, but everyone can rest assured that Steve and gang have definate plans for the might King Cobra in the new Champions Universe. So that is straight out.

For same reasons I shouldn't use VIPER, I won't use DEMON, ARGENT, and PSI.

I imagine RAVEN will be utilized in the Dark Champions universe, so I want to steer clear of that one.

You would think that with so many organizations devised in the past, I'd be able to find an one fondly remembered yet obscure enough to warrant exclusion from the new Champions Universe. I'll do some research in all my books this weekend.

As for Scott "Gestalt" Bennie... Yes, he was very unintentionally left off of my list. Everyone has been so quiet about the Gestalt project that I'd completely forgot about it! My apologies, Scott!

Dale, if you want to use a super agency that's not in the new CU, relatively obscure but fondly remembered (okay, I'm taking a deep breath here, because this has been a minor obsession of mine for years but I don't want to sound fan-frenzied):

How about asking Steve if Hero Games still has the rights to V.O.I.C.E.? I know for a fact that many Hero gamers liked it, but the group hasn't been used officially beyond the classic V.O.I.C.E. of Doom adventure, and there's plenty of room for expansion. And Steve has stated categorically that this organization will not be part of the new universe.

I've used V.O.I.C.E. quite a bit in old campaigns of mine, and would be happy to offer suggestions if you were interested. :o

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

How about asking Steve if Hero Games still has the rights to V.O.I.C.E.?

Dude! I have that supplement, too! I don't know whether to thank you for the suggestion or kick myself for not thinking of it first. ;)

Of course, that also depends on the words of Steve. If indeed the reason VOICE (I'd probably do away with the periods in the acronym in MF) does not appear in the new CU is because of ownership rights, then VOICE appearing in MF is straight out. I'll contact Steve privately on the matter.

It may also rest simply on the fact that Steve has a precedent of preferring new, fresh material over rehashed material. Though I would personally love to reinvigorate something like VOICE, Steve may suggest that he'd rather I create a whole new villainous agency out of whole cloth. At which point.... um, I'd definately be coming to you guys for suggestions! ;)

I might be the exception here, but I would much rather see you come up with a new threat than to redo an old one. I have nothing against VOICE or any other older group, but I would prefer to see MF take us in a new direction which does not have 20+ years of history. One of the biggest complaints I have read about 5th Edition is that it does not have enough new ideas (VIPER, UNTIL, DEMON, ect). MF is the perfect opportunity to introduce new ideas into the mix. That holds a lot more excitement for me than seeing and old group or organization redone. Just my two cents.

Another option

If you are looking for official, but as yet undeveloped (or so they seem to be) organizations, there is the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. In particular, there is a nasty fellow named Walter Musgrave who, according to the CU, practices perverted forms of shamanic magic in Dallas (but he could be moving). Better yet, you could make your own member of the council Coven. I think the term in some Amerind tribes for those who practice 'Bad Medicine' (the magic, not the song) is "Nightmare Walker". Maybe I've got that wrong. Either way, that group might be worth looking into.

Your opinion is duly noted, Monolith. :)

I'm just scared that if I create a new criminal organization, it will only be a VIPER-clone. Might as well call it VIPER, if that turns out to be the case.

There are some new organizations that are slated to be introduced in MF, but none are a "pure" criminal organization like VIPER is.

• The Imperions: The most well-known villain team in MF really shouldn't have agents any more than the Ultimates should have agents in CU.
  • The Scions of the Myste: This is your DEMON-esque mystic organization with a twist. I would say more, but it would ruin the "suprise twist" in the events between the magazine timeline (late 2002) and the e-book timeline (mid- to late 2004).
  • The Equalizers: This is a supernatural terrorist cell and really shouldn't sport agents in its roster.
  • The Night Shadow Ninja Clan: This archnemesis organization to both Moon Shadow/Silver Phoenix and the vigilante Vengeance is steeped in Oriental culture and mysticism and really shouldn't be a criminal organization in the traditional sense.

To stick with the timeline originally introduced in Digital Hero, the organization that replaces VIPER would have to be laughable enough during the 90s that Crimson-Hawk would have easily routed them from the city after the Great Meriquai Falls Massacre and yet powerful and serious enough to make a comeback in 2004 and truly scare the PCs.

I'll put some thoughts on the matter myself, to be certain, but any thoughts on this from you guys are most certainly welcome! :) Thanks!

You could always have a Legion of Tribbles commanded by the Death Tribble. Someone actually did this on another board that I frequent and some did D20 stats for me as well.

Seriously though it sound interesting. If we are abandoning iper why not make it organised crime like the Mafia only now they are beginning to use paranormals properly ?

So you have the backdrop of crime that has been around a while but has a new twist. And does not have to be Dark Champions which is more street level stuff.

I know this will be some way off but I look forward to it and its eventual travel across the Atlantic.

Originally posted by death tribble

Seriously though it sound interesting. If we are abandoning iper why not make it organised crime like the Mafia only now they are beginning to use paranormals properly ?

I like that idea as well. The mafia of the early to mid 1990s tried to dominate its environment, but was just laughable because it was disorganized and too segregated into small “Families.†Supervillains were just too powerful and were destroying the Mafia’s ability to make a profit.

Then in the late 1990s or early 2000s everything changed. The Mafia transformed into the Cartel (or whatever other name you might find interesting) when the new Don of one of the families became superhuman. He quickly brought in more super-types and crushed all the other families into his one organization. The new Cartel uses superhumans and hi-tech operatives to handle all the “jobs†and businesses the Cartel oversees.

That could make for an interesting mix, where all the sub-leaders of the Cartel are superhuman answering to the Don. Perhaps even with older mafia types would be trying to find ways to gain super powers in an attempt to regain lost stature. In the Cartel power is more important the history or heritage.

Something like that could be far more interesting than just redoing VOICE, IMO. :)

Originally posted by Monolith

I might be the exception here, but I would much rather see you come up with a new threat than to redo an old one. I have nothing against VOICE or any other older group, but I would prefer to see MF take us in a new direction which does not have 20+ years of history. One of the biggest complaints I have read about 5th Edition is that it does not have enough new ideas (VIPER, UNTIL, DEMON, ect). MF is the perfect opportunity to introduce new ideas into the mix. That holds a lot more excitement for me than seeing and old group or organization redone. Just my two cents.

I completely get where you're coming from, Mon, and in most cases I'd be inclined to agree with you. In the case of VOICE (out of respect to Crimson-Hawk I'm dropping the periods) ;) , so much of the organization was left only vaguely alluded to that any update would be less of a redo than an expansion. It would almost be like comparing VIPER before and after the Bennie/Christiansen 4th Edition VIPER Sourcebook. IMHO VOICE has enough elements already that can be springboards to interesting new directions, but a lot of Dale's conceptual work would already be done.

Still, your and death tribble's suggestions for a revised Mafia are sound and intriguing, and I could certainly see that working for purposes of this book.

(Umph... trying to restrain personal bias, but can't - hold - on - any - I LOVE VOICE! WANT 5E VOICE!!)

"Ahem" Sorry. :o

I actually like seeing more copies of the same villian group out there. It lets you see that they have their paws in more pots than just the one. Perhaps this VIPER or VOICE group in this area has a slightly different agenda. Maybe they are a specialized group doing research and crimes in a certain area. Sort of like the Initiative on Buffy. They were Army but their work was anything but standard grunt stuff (no offence meant).

Imagine a super hero team coming into a VIPER base, ready to take them down and the Nest Leader is just finishing up a summoning ritual. WTF? Well VIPER needs to have all of its bases covered afterall... ;)

Well, come to think of it, an update of VOICE, one that would be worthy of them, would take up more pages from Meriquai Falls than I think is available. Though this is an e-book and I'm not truly constrained by page count, I'm going to try to avoid making the book ungodly big. Thus, if I used VOICE, I'd probably wind up only detailing a couple of the orginal characters (maybe six), a generic agent, and some discussion about the organization's history and structure.

And besides, Crimson-Hawk driving Lung Hung from a city with nothing more than himself and a 12-year-old girl? Two 350-point characters versus a character when translated will probably weigh in at over 1,000 points. Let's think about this one.... :D

The whole organized crime becomes organized schtick is rather appealing, now that Death Tribble and Monolith have meated it out. "Freezing Snake" could be renamed Johnny "The Cold Snake" Scionnelli or something to the effect thereof. Scionnelli's failed attempt to become the power behind the throne in MF, which leads to the Massacre, would have been a last ditch effort to get back in good with the Mafia before they "punished" him for his constant failures. Of course, Crimmy's appearance ensures that Scionnelli's efforts are in vain.

But... what if the Mafia wanted Crimmy to find Scionnelli and defeat him! The defeat did indeed go far more smoothly and easily than it really should have. Now that the slate is wiped clean of Scionnelli and eveyone who supported him, the Mafia can come in with a fresh new Don... taking advantage of a neat new "McGuffin" they recently acquired....

This would add a great new superheroic adversary at the Superhuman level. Add to the tension already existing between the Night Shadow ninja clan and Night Sparrow's street gangs. And provide some more "rogue's gallery" for street-level campaigns as well.

Some thoughts to chew on. :D

Well, come to think of it, an update of VOICE, one that would be worthy of them, would take up more pages from Meriquai Falls than I think is available. Though this is an e-book and I'm not truly constrained by page count, I'm going to try to avoid making the book ungodly big. Thus, if I used VOICE, I'd probably wind up only detailing a couple of the orginal characters (maybe six), a generic agent, and some discussion about the organization's history and structure.

And besides, Crimson-Hawk driving Lung Hung from a city with nothing more than himself and a 12-year-old girl? Two 350-point characters versus a character when translated will probably weigh in at over 1,000 points. Let's think about this one.... :D

"Sigh" :(

I see your point. Ah, well...

The whole organized crime becomes organized schtick is rather appealing, now that Death Tribble and Monolith have meated it out. "Freezing Snake" could be renamed Johnny "The Cold Snake" Scionnelli or something to the effect thereof. Scionnelli's failed attempt to become the power behind the throne in MF, which leads to the Massacre, would have been a last ditch effort to get back in good with the Mafia before they "punished" him for his constant failures. Of course, Crimmy's appearance ensures that Scionnelli's efforts are in vain.

But... what if the Mafia wanted Crimmy to find Scionnelli and defeat him! The defeat did indeed go far more smoothly and easily than it really should have. Now that the slate is wiped clean of Scionnelli and eveyone who supported him, the Mafia can come in with a fresh new Don... taking advantage of a neat new "McGuffin" they recently acquired....

This would add a great new superheroic adversary at the Superhuman level. Add to the tension already existing between the Night Shadow ninja clan and Night Sparrow's street gangs. And provide some more "rogue's gallery" for street-level campaigns as well.

Some thoughts to chew on. :D

This does seem to suit your purposes well. And a fresh take on reorganizing organized crime, if it was something that could be extended to Mafia activities more generally, would probably broaden the appeal of Meriquai Falls to more and more diverse gamers.

Originally posted by Hermit

If MF (or the area it was built on ) had a past hero, Golden Age or so on...a write up of him or her would be good. Heck, might make a good patron or at least now departed role model.

(Not sure others will agree, but I enjoyed MC's hero for each age: Gold, Silver, so on)

This is something I wanted to touch on, too, if for nothing else than to keep the thread alive (all opinions on all subject for the book are accepted and welcomed).

The MF timeline, as it exists, doesn't follow the typical superhero timeline, per se. For instance, there really isn't any Golden Age Champions era in MF (even though suggestions for such will be briefly discussed). True superhumans do not appear until the late 60's.

The first true superhuman, Lady Freedom (the character I turned in for the Name The Hero contest), rose out of the hippy culture of the late 60's. The closest thing to a Golden Age Champions character in MF is Franklin "Striker" Kellerman (Amethyst's grandfather)... and he's more like Indiana Jones than like Mister X. (I have stats for Striker Kellerman, btw... he's a nice, solid 200 point character; I need to sit down and finish that Relics & Spirits article....)

The eras of superheroism in MF will be covered, though. Striker Kellerman (and his nemesis, Doctor Blackheart) will be featured in a DH article. But in the e-book itself, there'll be Lady Freedom for the 70s, Shotgun Rider for the 80s, Bloodshadow for the 90s, and Backdraft (who was alluded to in the Against the Iconics article) for the current decade. Each decade's iconic hero has had a profound effect on the Superhuman history of MF; each is well-rounded and will make interesting allies, mentors, or even enemies.

[edit: It's Lady Freedom, not Lady Liberty. That's what I get for typing under pressure at work. :)]

"Sigh" :(

I see your point. Ah, well...

Sorry, Lord Liaden... :( I know your heart is set on a 5E VOICE... and I will still ask Steve about it. But, if I did include it in MF, they would need a good 18-24 pages at the least to fully flesh out to the level you're asking. And chances are rather good that Steve will simply tell me "no," so....

This does seem to suit your purposes well. And a fresh take on reorganizing organized crime, if it was something that could be extended to Mafia activities more generally, would probably broaden the appeal of Meriquai Falls to more and more diverse gamers.

That's a good observation to make. It drew my attention to something I need to do some research into. What all the Mafia is into and why. Thankfully, Steve wrote a neat little book a long time ago which touches quite nicely on that subject; I can reference it.... :D

The MF timeline, as it exists, doesn't follow the typical superhero timeline, per se. For instance, there really isn't any Golden Age Champions era in MF (even though suggestions for such will be briefly discussed). True superhumans do not appear until the late 60's.

Gotcha :)

The eras of superheroism in MF will be covered, though. Striker Kellerman (and his nemesis, Doctor Blackheart) will be featured in a DH article. But in the e-book itself, there'll be Lady Liberty for the 70s, Shotgun Rider for the 80s, Bloodshadow for the 90s, and Backdraft (who was alluded to in the Against the Iconics article) for the current decade. Each decade's iconic hero has had a profound effect on the Superhuman history of MF; each is well-rounded and will make interesting allies, mentors, or even enemies.

Sounds just like I was hoping for. Thanks :)

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I assume the "Notes on how to use the City of Meriquai Falls in the Champions Universe, your personal setting, or even as a setting in and of itself." will already include an idea for a common origin story for PCs in MF Should folks want a pseudo- Fantastic Four (We all got our powers together) theme?

You mention "interesting locations" , any chance we'll see the "Independent"Limitation applied to some geographical site?

The idea of some place being coveted for it's mystical energy, for example, would fit in nicely with the setting from what I'm imagining.

I assume the "Notes on how to use the City of Meriquai Falls in the Champions Universe, your personal setting, or even as a setting in and of itself." will already include an idea for a common origin story for PCs in MF Should folks want a pseudo- Fantastic Four (We all got our powers together) theme?

Actually, I had not thought of that. I think that's a good idea, one worth looking into. Thanks, Hermit!

You mention "interesting locations" , any chance we'll see the "Independent"Limitation applied to some geographical site?

The idea of some place being coveted for it's mystical energy, for example, would fit in nicely with the setting from what I'm imagining.

This is applied to at least one "location" in Meriquai Falls, as Lord Liaden was alluding to above in his "McGuffin" suggestion. This "McGuffin," in fact, is the whole reason for the existance of the Imperions.

Mind you, I don't want to get carried away with mystical sites, though I doubt that's what you were implying. I want Meriquai Falls to be a comfortable mix of the high technology of Millennium City and the mystic allure of Vibora Bay. With the Imperions' goal, Count Dredmaus, the Scions of the Myste, and the Equalizers, there plenty of mysticism already. There will be technological "McGuffins" and locations, as well, between the Sullivan Research Foundation (or the SRF for short, one of the most advanced bio-medical research facilities on the face of the planet), Impulses Unlimited (one of the best producers of super-agent quality weapons and armor), Tech World (fun and learning all in one visit!) and a time traveling mad scientist, amongst other things.

In fact, many of these locations lend easily to the "common origin" discussion you are asking for, Hermit. At least one super villainess has risen from the ranks of the faculty of the SRF, so why not a group of test subjects suddenly becoming heroes? :) And that's just one example.

Anyhue, anyone who has opinion about anything please keep the comments coming in! Did something you wanted to see in MC not show up there? Let me know! :)