Danger Rooms

Tamashii2000

Danger Rooms:

All the rage in the late to early 90's, and a staple of any good Xpeople comic. They were so popular that (way back) in champions 3 there was a 'random' system for running them 'solo'.

Now.. what place if any do you use them for? Do your heroes even have one in the base or are they 'a relic of time gone past' If so how did they 'buy it' if at all and what use does it actualy get in your game?

Re: Danger Rooms

In a game that I'll be starting soon the heroes will eventually become the teacher/mentors of the next generation of heroes. So between the time the team first comes together and when they establish the school I'll have to create a "Training/Danger Room(T/DR)". In the past I pointed them out but now I just set a limit on the power output/active points/DC's. I then use the idea of STAR TREK Holodecks. That way the images/holograms are solid and can hurt the PC's but not actually kill them. I find that having a T/DR helps the C's develope teamwork, new skills, powers(i.e. new uses of existing powers as well as new powers).

I have an program that generates Danger Rooms based upon the tables in Champions III.

We use the for a change of pace game when we don't have a specific adventure ready. Lots of fun, the players almost never win.

I have an program that generates Danger Rooms based upon the tables in Champions III.

We use the for a change of pace game when we don't have a specific adventure ready. Lots of fun, the players almost never win.

Fox1,

I know you hate me but since I no longer have access to that fabulous work could you consider putting that program on your website? That is such a cool idea.

Hawksmoor

The base's danger room is all virtual. That is, characters sit in comfy chairs and hook in, and experience the fight in a fully sensory fashion. Creates teamwork, and feels like you've been through a real workout.

Now.. what place if any do you use them for? Do your heroes even have one in the base or are they 'a relic of time gone past' If so how did they 'buy it' if at all and what use does it actualy get in your game?

I used one for my PCs (when there were only two, now I have three!) on their very first adventure. It's paid for with the points that are being allocated for the base. It's only been used once by the PCs and I don't know if they'll voluntarilly use it again, but I'll try to urge them to do so.

I have saved a copy of that program. It is a blast to use from time to time. You ought to post it or put it on your website I am sure that there are at least a few people who would enjoy it.

I hated the way it was done in the book. It was incredible expensive and offered nothing tangible to help your characters. You buy weapons that can only be used on you? It doesn't give you any real knowledge, it's just a sfx to rationalize training and growth. So, I went over this and got my GM to let me buy it as a "Lab: Teamwork" for 3 points. We've never used it yet, but it's nice to think our characters are using it in their down time.

+-<:-) SaintHax

I agree that in most applications the utility of paying points for a Danger Room is ludicrous. Most characters simply do not have the luxury of spending more on a base than their primary power. OTOH, a staple of the genre is luring a housebreaking foe into the danger room so that you can teamed with the Danger Room's capabilities take him out.

I say that these are plot devices and can do what ever the GM and the Campaign needs them to do. As such the most I would ever charge a team for would be Extra Dimensional Movement (to Danger Room Zone) and back via a portal in the base.

"Can you say Arch?" I knew that you could.

Hawksmoor

Hey Fox1, I too would like to add my vote for posting your program.

I used to roll up Danger Room charts (using Champs 3) for each of my PC's. I'd run my characters through them using the solo rules (i.e. random rolls to see what popped up next). I still have those pages with the rolled up lists somewhere in my gaming stuff.

So' date='[/b'] I went over this and got my GM to let me buy it as a "Lab: Teamwork" for 3 points. We've never used it yet, but it's nice to think our characters are using it in their down time.

+-<:-) SaintHax

Nice way to work it.

With respect to publishing the Danger Room program on my website, there are a couple of problems.

First and most important, I'm not sure that I legally can. HERO Games sells their own software and could easily object to my giving away the same based upon their property. While the charts in use have been slightly modified, it's basically their tables and methods under everything.

Second, it's not a stand alone item of software. It's basically an app written inside Access 2000, so I'm not sure how useful that would be to anyone. If I had a copy of VB I could easily convert it, but that's not a cash outlay I'm willing to make at this time.

"Lab: Teamwork" for 3 points.
I've done it that way, too.

Want your base to have a gym? Lab: Acrobatics and Breakfall. :)

And the magically shapeshifting headquarters of The Foundation is probably the only base ever built that has the Contortionist skill for itself.

Danger Rooms:

All the rage in the late to early 90's, and a staple of any good Xpeople comic. They were so popular that (way back) in champions 3 there was a 'random' system for running them 'solo'.

Even mention Danger Rooms and you are liable to get things thrown at you. For a while Danger Rooms where a staple of "you guys just screwed up the entire timeline so I have to undo the entire night." You would just announce that "the room de-resses and you realise you are in the danger room."

Besides that part, we do every once in a while do a danger room game. Its usually about the time someone comes up with a new combat maneuver they want to test out and they email me the week (or so) before about what they are going to program in and I design a quick one-hitter with those params and we go at it. Its kind of fun to lose the whole campaign for a week and just pound the snot out of some hologram or robot.

Program?? you said Program?? I waaaaaaaaant it! :D:D

(Just saw the part where you said what it was written on and the hero games thing.... darn darn darn... ahhh well)

• 4 weeks later...

They're used mainly off-screen with references to practice or gearing up for a specific battle. They are paid for out of base points. I have a practice system which does allow characters to gain XP for practice, though more often it's what characters actually do that occupies this time.