Can any comic fans fill me in on current Marvel continuity?

Dragonblade

I used to follow X-men, and Marvel in general, through Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught and Zero Tolerance. But stopped collecting right before the conclusion of Zero Tolerance and before Captain America, the FF and other Marvel heroes were rescued from Franklin Richards sub-dimension that he made for them before Onslaught could destroy everyone.

So whats been happening in Marvel since then? X-man, Nate Grey, died right? I heard that Apocalypse came back and restored Wolverine's adamantium? And whats with the whole current House of M storyline?

Can anyone fill me in on whats been going on in Marvel for the past several years?

Re: Can any comic fans fill me in on current Marvel continuity?

Whoa. That's a heck of an update you need. PM me with what you have heard and I'll see about trying to get you up to speed. we may also have to resort to sending you to some websites that already have summaries for various books.

For the X-men, in the meantime, try here

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/

Man, yer all so helpful ;)

(Not you, Superskrull; you really ARE being helpful)

I know the feeling of being lost on this stuff. I have a 10 year gap in my knowledge. One day the Evil Mutants were Freedom Force, the original X-Men were X-Factor, and the X-men were splitting into two teams; Next thing I know, there are a hundred X-books, Genosha is destroyed, and nobody seems to like the x-men anymore (At least if you believe all the online chatter, not the sales).

Here's something I haven't read yet, but just found and looks useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men

nobody seems to like the x-men anymore (At least if you believe all the online chatter' date=' not the sales).[/quote']

This is a very good point. If no one likes it, who's buying up all those copies? :think:

EDIT: Maybe it's the same people who voted for the current government - they never seem to be around either, yet a lot of people must have voted for them...

Marvel would be pretty stupid to stop publishing books that sell, and not a lot smarter to make major changes to their top sellers.

[For me, the biggest gripe against Marvel is the "every arc must run 6 issues to fit the Trade Paperback neatly" policy.]

[For me, the biggest gripe against Marvel is the "every arc must run 6 issues to fit the Trade Paperback neatly" policy.]

Amen to that. The new Avengers is a sterling case in point. How many other places has the new team shown up before it assembles in it's own comic?

In fairness, I haven't found New Avengers' pacing to be off. There have been a number of Marvel arcs (esp in X-Books) run 6 issues when 2 would have been quite adequate. There are also some storylines that merit 8 or 10 issues. Both suffer from this "one size fits all" approach.

Well, lessee...

The X-Teams seem to have a better relationship with the authorities (or at least SHIELD), Wolverine was brainwashed and killed Northstar, the Scarlet Witch's "Hex Magic" turns out to be high-level reality warping powers that seem to work as "wishes" - Wanda's children, Agatha Harkness still being alive

and a few other things were just alterations to reality that Wanda wanted. When the Scarlet Witch's powers went out of control, she indirectly killed Hawkeye, the Vision, Ant-Man, Jack Of Hearts and a few others and this led to the Avengers getting disbanded only to reform later as the New Avengers when a random bunch of heroes showed up to stop a mass super-villain prison break out.

As far as the X-titles go, continuity is kind of tricky because Claremont keeps retconning stuff that Morrisson and Whedon have done. An editorial part of The House Of M miniseries might be to clear up the Spider Man and X-Men continuities.

Well, lessee...

The X-Teams seem to have a better relationship with the authorities (or at least SHIELD), Wolverine was brainwashed and killed Northstar, the Scarlet Witch's "Hex Magic" turns out to be high-level reality warping powers that seem to work as "wishes" - Wanda's children, Agatha Harkness still being alive

and a few other things were just alterations to reality that Wanda wanted. When the Scarlet Witch's powers went out of control, she indirectly killed Hawkeye, the Vision, Ant-Man, Jack Of Hearts and a few others and this led to the Avengers getting disbanded only to reform later as the New Avengers when a random bunch of heroes showed up to stop a mass super-villain prison break out.

As far as the X-titles go, continuity is kind of tricky because Claremont keeps retconning stuff that Morrisson and Whedon have done. An editorial part of The House Of M miniseries might be to clear up the Spider Man and X-Men continuities.

Or it might not. ;)

An editorial part of The House Of M miniseries might be to clear up the Spider Man and X-Men continuities.

Let's hope not. Last time I recall a limited series to "clean up continuity" was Crisis on Infinite Earths, and I don't think all the issues taht raised are cleaned up yet!

Let's hope not. Last time I recall a limited series to "clean up continuity" was Crisis on Infinite Earths' date=' and I don't think all the issues that raised are cleaned up yet![/quote']

Crisis didn't clean up anything, it muddied it. It would have been far simpiler to just stick logos on the comics saying this is Earth-1 or Earth-2 or Earth-S.

Crisis didn't clean up anything' date=' it muddied it. It would have been far simpiler to just stick logos on the comics saying this is Earth-1 or Earth-2 or Earth-S.[/quote']

Agreed. However, it was DC's intention to clean up 45+ years of continuity into a single, easy to understand timeline. Great storyline. Not at all effective, however, at achieving the goal.

I believe that Crisis would have been effective if the editors at DC had simply said no rewrites except for certain things like the one batman/superman/wonder woman/green arrow/stuff.

The reason why it wasn't effective is people like James Robinson can take whatever is there and screw it for whatever modern story line they are doing.

It's a trend that's continued today.

CES

I believe that Crisis would have been effective if the editors at DC had simply said no rewrites except for certain things like the one batman/superman/wonder woman/green arrow/stuff.

The reason why it wasn't effective is people like James Robinson can take whatever is there and screw it for whatever modern story line they are doing.

It's a trend that's continued today.

CES

Actually Robinson's work is pretty well regarded by golden and silver age fans.

Golden Age was a little rough (especially considering that it followed on the heels of the disrespectful and poorly written Zero Hour which basically had the entire JSA slaughtered in the span of less than three pages.) but it was pretty well written. AFAIK, it's considered an Elseworld's book.

Starman was great in that there were lots of cameos and guest appearances by obscure DC characters and they were written seriously , but with a sense of respect and tradition (except for the Batman/Solomon Grundy arc and the Justice League Europe issues).

I am a golden age and silver age fan.

Starman was the worst comic I have ever read. The problem is Firearm was so good, that I expected a really cool comic, and what I got was a piece of crap.

Looking back on it, I realize now that Robinson can't write heroes, or anything heroic. Its something that should have been obvious when Hardcase and Firearm meet for the first time.

Hardcase was written way out of character to justify Swan's attitude towards Ultras.

CES

DC diodn't even consider books in publication at the time. Legion of Super Heroes lost Superboy and Supergirl, demolishing much of its history.

Wonder Girl lost Wonder Woman, and with it her entire back story.

All-Star Squadron/the JSA lost Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, lynchpins to many golden age storylines, as well as to the origin of the JSA itself.

Hawkman became a reincarnated Egyptian prince who came from an alien planet.

All of these took quite a while to sort out, and really never got fully unravelled.

Before Crisis everything had to be kept linked and tight as could be when you have a bunch of different people working on different things.

After, you have these editors just handing out blank checks. Write what you want to write, screw the fans, whatever. That's become the prevailing attitude.

I shouldn't be irritated about this but nothing bothers me more than a writer that can't tell his story without screwing over all of his predecessors.

CES