I need a name for a society of adventurers

rjcurrie

Hi Folks:

For my Firiends of Justice convention game, I need a name for a society of adventurers similar to the Empire Club, however I'd prefer not to use that name.

So far, the best ideas I've had are:

Brothers of Odysseus

The Herculean Society

Any suggestions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I need a name for a society of adventurers

Here's a name I jotted down several years ago for a Planetary/Wold Newton/Challengers of the Unknown-style game, but never did anything with:

from terra, Latin for Earth; obscurus, Latin for unknown; and curator, Latin for guardian or overseer

The Terra Obscurates

I brainstormed a few ideas for a name like this a few years ago. I think I can remember two right now; maybe more later.

The Order of the Quest - This would have had the subplot that (unbeknownst to the modern members) it was based on an order of knights from the distant past, the Order of the Pellean Quest, charged with catching the Questing Beast of Arthurian myth. In this interpretation, the Questing Beast is a mystical creature (the spirit of investigation/deduction) that is drawn to areas of mystery, and hence draws its pursuers there whether they know it or not. My idea would have been that the PCs would have had one or two members perceptive enough to actually see the elusive Beast, after so many generations of decline among the ranks.

The Ouroborean Society - This is named for the Worm Ouroboros, a worm or serpent with its tail in its mouth. It signifies cycles and eternity. In the Ouroborean game, the players would have tracked down the real-life oddities and mysteries behind the legends of things like Jormungandr or the Gorgon.

The basic idea is to create some kind of society that might offer membership to virtually any pulp hero -- whether he be a hard-boiled detective who rarely leaves Manhattan or a grobetrotting explorer.

Is there any one real (or from old legends or myth) who epitomizes "adventure"?

Rod

The Fairbanks Society, or something similar. Named for one of the honorary founding members and a 'friend' (possibly contributer) to the society, none other than Douglas Fairbanks himself (who, in Pulp times, was probably the single most famous action-movie star alive; he played Dartagnan, Don Juan, Zorro, Sinbad...he was the man back in those days, and did most of his own stunts). FYI, he quit making movies in 1934 and died in 1939 at the age of 56 by heart attack. He was, by the way, the physical model from which the original Superman cartoon/comic was taken by Shuster and Siegel and was considered a gifted athlete. Just a thought.

Other possible sources for names could be Dumas (as in Alexander, the man who wrote The Three Musketeers); D'artagnan; Sabatini (Scaramouche, Captain Blood); Hercules (Herculean Society is a good idea, as noted above); Odysseus; Robert Louis Stevenson; Sir Francis Drake (which Errol Flynn sort of used as role model in the movie The Sea Hawk)...

"Nova Albion" was the name Sir Francis Drake gave to the land on western North America. That could be a good basis for a name.

Actual organization names:

League

Foundation

Society

Band

Fellowship

Circle

Guild

The basic idea is to create some kind of society that might offer membership to virtually any pulp hero -- whether he be a hard-boiled detective who rarely leaves Manhattan or a grobetrotting explorer.

Rod

You called it.

Ulysses/odysseus was THE greatest adventurer in mythology.

You could use Jason, or better the Argonauts as a valid option.

Marco Polo.

Prestor John. (hmm, Knights of Prestor John as a society seeking that which might, or might not, be there...)

Allan Quartermain Association

Or "The Challenger Foundation" perhaps ? (As set up by Professor Challenger in the late 19th century !) How about "The Argossy Society" (after the Argo, Jason's ship) or "The Veritas Organisation" (from the short lived T V show "Veritas : The Quest"). I can probably come up with a few more but it means doing some reaearch !

Rod

I'd use the various Royal Societies, or variations on the theme. Their predecessors existed at the right times, and any Pulp Adventurer with an interest in exploration and adventure could have belonged, as well as historical literary and scientific figures. That or the Free Masons...

Rod

You called it.

Ulysses/odysseus was THE greatest adventurer in mythology.

You could use Jason, or better the Argonauts as a valid option.

Marco Polo.

Prestor John. (hmm, Knights of Prestor John as a society seeking that which might, or might not, be there...)

Gewing is right. Naming it after a famous adventurer/explorer/traveller is the best way to go, IMO.

Gewing also grabbed the best examples. :(

So, I'll list a few more, more explorers than "adventurers":

Christopher Columbus (esp. good for a group from The Americas)

Ibn Batuta (too obscure?)

--the fellow who lead the Chinese Treasure Fleet explorations in the mid-1400's; sorry, I'm blanking on the name

Vasco de Gama

any of the "conquistadors"

Zebulon Pike (Pike's Peekers? ;) )

Scott, Amunden, Perry, etc.

Magellen

Captain Cook (explorer and leader of scientists)

Leif Ericson

Hmmm... adventurers more than explorers....

Theseus

Hercules (sorta, kinda)

Bellerophon (sorta, kinda)

Horatio Hornblower

Horatio Nelson (more fighter than adventurer)

I'll have to think about it, let you know if I have any ideas.

Although set twenty years earlier, I quite like The Lake District Needlework and Adventure Society. A ladies club dedicated to embroidery, needlework, and foiling dastardly plans of world domination. Lessons included scarf knitting, wresting the reigns of an out of control carriage from a nefarious character of ill-breeding, lacework and silks, and the proper storage of grappling hooks and pistols in your sewing bag.