I need a name for a society of adventurers

rjcurrie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I need a name for a society of adventurers

Well there is Real World Society based in the Denver area in the 20's+ Called (still active a bit locally today....):

The Protective Order of Pullmen and Railroad Workers.

Primarily an African American institution, this might not be an "Anyone is game" sort of cup of tea....

people could be hired by the society to investigate and protect their members....?

Still the "Protective Order of Adventurers" or some such combo would work....

Although set twenty years earlier' date=' I quite like [b']The Lake District Needlework and Adventure Society[/b]. A ladies club dedicated to embroidery, needlework, and foiling dastardly plans of world domination. Lessons included scarf knitting, wresting the reigns of an out of control carriage from a nefarious character of ill-breeding, lacework and silks, and the proper storage of grappling hooks and pistols in your sewing bag.
Good one ! Would their arch foes be "The Lake Superior Sewing Circle and Anarchist Association" by any chance ?

I like the Hyperion Club

How about the Brotherhood of Areté, that way the correct pronounciation of Areté can become a shibboleth (Ar-uh-tay, it means excellence in virtue, bravery and "the use of qualities to achieve certain goals and make a difference to the world").

Some variations...

The Temple of Areté (Arete was also a goddess in the Greek pantheon who represented these qualities -- represented by a fair noblewoman clad all in white)

The Areté Society

The Fellowship of Areté (sounds better than the "Temple", but has some of the same overtones)

The Areté Alliance

The Areté Foundation (which may even be a spinoff of the "inner circle" that acts as it's public face)

As an oriental organization, the Chinese use the word Chung in much the same way as Areté, with a little less emphasis on the success of those goals and more on doing the best of your ability and the obligations you have to those around you.

The Chung Society

The Society of Chung

The Exemplars of Chung

Heh :)

Seriously though I only playtested the first game before it was put on at the local Con - and I did the blurbs for the various other games, and his new one that he hasn't playtested yet

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/5763/blurb2p8xk.gif

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9392/blurb6mp.jpg

Potential images of the adventuresses-

http://www.curufea.com/ldnas/

Which has nothing to do with The Secret Order of the Shaolin Masters of Destiny :)

I think I'm going to go with the Order of Odysseus; however, I probably won't have need of the organization for another year or so, since I decided to go with a different plotline for this year's Friends of Justice convention event.

Rod

The League - Nothing to do with Extrodinary Gentlemen, simply a society that looks after each other.

Danger Unlimited - fromage to JB's group, using the classical 4 team found in Fantastic Four, Challengers of the Unknown and other 50/60s books. Currently exporing the world inside Earth, known by the natives as Kalenda, the world that was.

Order of St. Dumas. - Named after the author of Three Musketeers.

National Geographic Society - these guys went EVERYWHERE. While the society doesn't explicitly state any sort of 'foiling dastardly plots' item in their charter, it could easily put a group of people in harms way on a regular basis:

"On the evening of January 13, 1888, thirty-three men traveled on foot, horseback, and in horsedrawn carriages through the streets of Washington to the Cosmos Club, then on Lafayette Square across from the White House. They convened around a large mahogany table to discuss “the advisability of organizing a society for the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge.†The entity they were about to create would become the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institution in the world." (quoted from NGS website).

You can't get much more pulpy than that!

"They readily approved a resolution that the Society be organized 'on as broad and liberal a basis in regard to qualifications for membership as is consistent with its own well-being and the dignity of the science it represents.'†(ibid)

National Geographic Society - these guys went EVERYWHERE. While the society doesn't explicitly state any sort of 'foiling dastardly plots' item in their charter, it could easily put a group of people in harms way on a regular basis:

"On the evening of January 13, 1888, thirty-three men traveled on foot, horseback, and in horsedrawn carriages through the streets of Washington to the Cosmos Club, then on Lafayette Square across from the White House. They convened around a large mahogany table to discuss “the advisability of organizing a society for the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge.†The entity they were about to create would become the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institution in the world." (quoted from NGS website).

You can't get much more pulpy than that!

"They readily approved a resolution that the Society be organized 'on as broad and liberal a basis in regard to qualifications for membership as is consistent with its own well-being and the dignity of the science it represents.'†(ibid)

Great catch, and repped.

My houesmate just suggested "The James Bond Ornithological Society ". (If anyone doesn't know' date=' Fleming got the name of his famous spy from the name of an author of a book on West Indian birds)[/quote']

Whoa! I didn't know that.

That is indeed a cool name. :)

• 2 weeks later...