SCOTT HEINE

AndyM

All right, my hopes were well founded!

Nato, Scott Heine was the artist and writer for the 3E adventure book To Serve and Protect featuring the famous Protectors superteam (base on his own campaign), as well as writer-artist for Mind Games which detailed the villain organization PSI, and for the Alien Enemies villain compendium. His work is scattered among other Hero books, including the "Powerpuff Champions" on p. 37 of the new Champions genre book. ;)

If you'd like to see the recent color renderings of some of the Protectors that Scott posted to the old discussion boards, he has them here:

http://www.geocities.com/scott_heine_hero/

Ack!

Wow. You guys are great. Thanks for the encouragement. And, yes, I'm really looking forward to continuing to supply some illos for Hero. The folks at DOJ are top notch and a real joy to work for. Hero is in GREAT hands, and I think the quality of the products really shows the consistency and professionalism we're all enjoying! Neato!

For those of you looking for more recent stuff, you should know that DOJ is secretly trying to hide my illos in a couple of books. Unless I've missed something, I don't think I've appeared in any book credits yet (except for inspirational credit in MC). It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Heck, I didn't even get a street or NPC named after me in new Detroit. So, the way I figure it, it's time to start lobbying for a "Heine" landmark in the Champions Universe. Hmmm... The Heine Nebula? Naw, that doesn't sound right... *smirk*

As for getting the rest of the Protectors colored... I am SO sorry for those of you who have patiently been waiting for me to fulfill my promise since December. Thanks for the occasional e-mail and PM reminders... Truthfully, I was going to do it in March, but life took a very different turn and I was pretty consumed with work for a while. It's starting to slow down just a bit this month... and then we went and sold our house and bought a new one over the weekend (Yeah! A pool! Pretty big deal for those of us in Phoenix. Pool party at Scott's! Woot!).

So in between packing boxes, I'll finish Andy's requests, move, try to stabilize, and at SOME point I'll get back to the Protectors. Thanks for your endless patience...

:D

-- Scott

Re: Ack!

Originally posted by Scott Heine

Wow. You guys are great. Thanks for the encouragement. And, yes, I'm really looking forward to continuing to supply some illos for Hero. The folks at DOJ are top notch and a real joy to work for. Hero is in GREAT hands, and I think the quality of the products really shows the consistency and professionalism we're all enjoying! Neato!

For those of you looking for more recent stuff, you should know that DOJ is secretly trying to hide my illos in a couple of books. Unless I've missed something, I don't think I've appeared in any book credits yet (except for inspirational credit in MC). It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Heck, I didn't even get a street or NPC named after me in new Detroit. So, the way I figure it, it's time to start lobbying for a "Heine" landmark in the Champions Universe. Hmmm... The Heine Nebula? Naw, that doesn't sound right... *smirk*

As for getting the rest of the Protectors colored... I am SO sorry for those of you who have patiently been waiting for me to fulfill my promise since December. Thanks for the occasional e-mail and PM reminders... Truthfully, I was going to do it in March, but life took a very different turn and I was pretty consumed with work for a while. It's starting to slow down just a bit this month... and then we went and sold our house and bought a new one over the weekend (Yeah! A pool! Pretty big deal for those of us in Phoenix. Pool party at Scott's! Woot!).

So in between packing boxes, I'll finish Andy's requests, move, try to stabilize, and at SOME point I'll get back to the Protectors. Thanks for your endless patience...

-- Scott

No, sir. We thank YOU.

Indeed. Mr Heine, if you're getting a lot of kudos, it's only because you earned it. I'll praise 'To Serve and Protect' to my dying day... well, actually, to my dying week, I may get tired. Your other work is also exceptional.

What is it about the name Scott and Hero games anyways? :)

-- Scott

Great pictures! I do have a question, however. Does the armor guy really leave his arms and legs bare?;)

Coolness. I've been waiting for colorized versions for over a decade. What's a few more weeks/months?

Thanks Scott. Your contributions to Hero are greatly appreaciated. And I for one still think the Protectors would have made far more interesting iconic characters than any edition of the Champions.

Yeah, the Protectors rocked. I liked their agent backup...not too many supers seem to realize how useful it is to have someone to handle routine guard duty, investigations, heck, even someone to pull their behinds out of the fire every now and then.

Not that the Protectors needed that too much. They were pretty effective in combat since they actually developed coordinated maneuvers.

The Protectors are pretty much everything a super group should be.

(edit) except for that whole Coatlicue thing, that is....

Originally posted by AndyM

Ah -- smell the excitement! I'm a big SH fan. And (I am happy to report) Scott has agreed to do some art for the upcoming Champions Battlegrounds book.

Andy

I'm a big fan of heine, too!

Uh... I mean... you know... Scott... and...

...uh...

Never mind.

:P

(Seriously. BRING BACK THE PROTECTORS!)

(oh... IN COLOR!)

What made the Protectors great

I've noticed that the fondness of longtime Champions players for To Serve and Protect, and particularly for the Protectors themselves, is pretty widespread (including myself). They seem to have struck a nerve for many of us. That prompted me to consider why I, at least, find them so appealing:

Depth. The character writeups showed the kind of originality of thought, attention to detail and well-rounded concept that comes with characters actually created and run by good players for a long time in a well-GM'd campaign;

Visuals. Scott Heine's illustrations are sharp and striking, and the characters' poses and expressions are highly evocative of their attitude and personality;

Balance. This team has all the bases covered: frontline and ranged fighters, bricks for slugging and martial artists for finesse, fliers, mentalists, sorcerors, scientists, detectives... it's an excellent example of how to maximize a team's strengths by filling all the necessary niches;

Tactics. As Captain Obvious pointed out (which seems somehow appropriate :rolleyes: ), the Protectors employ coordinated battle strategies to increase their effectiveness in combat, one of the most valuable lessons I and my players learned from the original adventure;

Cool Accessories. The Protectors had several roundout items that gave them a distinctive team "feel" and just made sense for a major superteam: personal communicators and protective/sense-enhancing contact lenses for all members, agent backups/associates providing additional resources, a classic amphibious superplane, and one of the neatest team bases I've ever seen.

All this richness really helped the impact of the adventure in To Serve and Protect. In my experience the player-characters readily come to admire and care about these NPC heroes, and become concerned when they start to go bad, for the Protectors' well-being as well as for their own skins when they have to confront them!

One additional note in the "plus" column for that adventure - the Skull Pendant is one of the best plot-generating McGuffins ever put into a Champions book. I got quite a bit of long-term use out of that dingus. ;)