Hunted by the Destroyer!

Mastermind

Just wanted a little feedback from all the experts!

I recently ran "Return of the Destroyer" in the Champions Universe Sourcebook ...

(Love the Destroid Side Art, BTW!)

Does the interference in Dr. Destroyer's plans merit a Hunted Disadvantage? Even at it's lowest value...it would be a 20-pointer (Hunted, Infreqeuntly (8-), More Powerful, NCI).

You're the GM, so if you think it would... sure. I sometimes let the PCs have some blank spots for Disads that they earn in game play. It's not technically 'bythe book' but it works well for my group and I. This makes sense, particularly in the 'first' adventure.

However, Dr Destroyer is, natch, very powerful as a Hunted, so I wouldn't go for the 'Kill' option. But again, that's me.

I don't think its a good idea to let a player take Dr. Destroyer as a hunted. I mean lets face it...if Destroyer wanted you dead or caught and your not playing a hero of around 500+ points then chances are he IS going to kill or capture the poor hero. Even if your not 500+ points and you have your teammates(I would hope) watch your back it wouldn't matter. Dr. Destroyer is just to darn powerful, besides why with the doctor's megalomania as sever as it is would he even deign to notice you? We're all just insects too him.

Would you go and hunt down the hornet that stung you and made you drop your ice cream if it got away? I doubt it but thats just my POV. On the matter of hunting that insect down to kill it for stinging you...wouldn't you take a can of RAID to do the job right? I don't think you'd settle for just smacking it out of the air with a swatter and saying "it learned it's lesson not to mess with me now didn't it?".

Don't get me wrong I really like most of the big baddies in CKC but I don't think most of them should be taken as hunteds for PCs. One character in our group has Gravitar hunting for him but she's not really as bad as Destroyer or Takofanes(spelling check someone please). Those two villians are just overkill for any party or they should be and as such I think they are better served being used sparingly. Even if you use the 8- roll they going to come around and cause trouble fairly often. I guess it all depends on how powerful your heroes are. Just my two cents worth free of charge ;)

I wouldn't assume that just because the heroes interrupted a villians plan once he would hunt them down. If they continued to interrupt the same villians plans all the time then sure I could see a hunted.

To second what someone else said. Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon hunteds are two things I don't allow even on the lowest level. They are just to powerful. I had one player that wanted to take a Dr.Destroyer hunted on 8- and I told him that if I ever rolled 8- I would just take his character and he could play a new one. No point in playing it out.

"You have earned something few mortals ever have, hero. You have earned the undying enmity of Doctor Destroyer ... I could slay you here, and now with but an errant thought, and a wave of my mighty hand ... but I shall not. For you shall serve as an example to all fools who would dare oppose Destroyer. Such a pedestrian act is beneath the dignity of Destroyer ... go now, but let your nights be sleepless as the realization seeps into your pathetic brain. The realization that your fate is now in the hands of Doctor Destroyer, and all the world shall bear witness to your folly."

In short, yeah, Dr. D COULD just float down and wipe you off the face of the planet in 2 segments, but a megalomaniac like him wouldn't do something so ... dull. It'd have to be a big production number, humilating him, belittling him, and rendering him utterly helpless until the coup de grace. Heck, with a little psychology applied, the heroes could probably trick Destroyer into letting them go! ("Go ahead, kill me ... anything's better than suffering this humiliation!" "You'd like that, wouldn't you?")

One thing I do for characters, fairly often, is the idea of the "Campaign Hunted". It works best when the PCs are a member of a group that's been around a while, but with rotating membership or 'branch offices', like the X-Men/Force/Factor. Otherwise, I use it for frequently-occuring-Campaign-Villains who are going to be in the Heroes' hair from day one anyway, just because they're heroes. (VIPER springs to mind.)

You make a good point, Mr. Collie. I'm reminded of Scott Bennie's adventure Day of the Destroyer (SPOILER WARNING):

A cynical, sarcastic reporter is granted an unprecedented one-on-one interview with Dr. Destroyer, and mouths off to him one to many times. Destroyer leaves evidence that he has killed the reporter, but actually kidnaps him, tortures and brainwashes him, remaking his personality into an ardent worshipper of Destroyer. Merely for the sin of annoying him.

With his knowledge and resources, there are so many ways that Destroyer could Hunt someone besides using force. A hero's secrets could be unearthed, his worst foes informed of his Vulnerability, his loved ones brainwashed into leaving or betraying him, the hero's powered armor controlled by Destroyer and used to kill someone - the possibilities are vast.

When you roll a Hunted the villain doesnt necessarily have to appear in the flesh. It could be a sideplot involving him or his minions, or that NPC you saved from the crashing airliner is working for him.

The worst Hunted Ive ever acquired through play was 16-, a home made one with a 100 pt mental EC, because I nearly got her killed and even hurt her a few times.

She set the base to explode and launched the PSI jet/shuttle with me and her minions on board. Before we cleared the silo I Ego nuked the pilot into goo and the shuttle began falling back to earth, just as the bomb was about to go off.... We had a nice little fight inside the shuttle before she ported out.