house rule for c.s.l.

steph

just wanna know your opinion ....for my fantasy game i got a house rule for every kind of c.s.l. (2-3-5-8) you cannot bypass your ocv give by your dex

example my character got a dex of 15 so is ocv are 5 and if he want csl with long sword he cannot have more then 5 and if after he want csl wth hthhe cannot have more of 5 csl and is long sword still at 5 if he want to increase is csl he have to increase is dex first

hope i am clear

because in french is very clear:)

stef the french canadian

Re: house rule for c.s.l.

I'll translate, but it's clear to me.

If your starting OCV (Dex/3) is 5 you cannot have more than 5 CSL's. To learn any new CSL's your character will need to increase their starting OCV (Dex/3).

I like it! Simple, and fair. It keeps your players from spending 20 points on CSL's and having a 13 OCV with a long sword, but a 3 with everything else.

well, I can see two things coming out of this scenario:

1) Characters will have extremely high Dex. Every fighter will have a Dex of 20 so they can have 7 skill levels.

2) Characters will be quite good with a crapload of weapons, rather than just one group of weapons.

I can see players purchasing higher pt CSL's because they can afford it. Instead of buying 7 3p CSL's with Swords for 21pts., they'll buy 4 5pt CSL's for 20pts. This means they have 4 CSL's with any frikken melee weapon they manage to happen upon!. This is dangerous. I have a character that does this now, and he's pretty darned effective. Of course, he's not overpowering, and if thats your plan, it could work.

Why? What has dexterity got to do with shooting a rifle or firing a bow?

So my reflexes are a bit slow and clumbsy but I can shoot a fly bird on the wing at 200 yards. I don't see why the two need to linked. Why can't an olympic archer have 11 dex and 5 skill levels?

So my reflexes are a bit slow and clumbsy but I can shoot a fly bird on the wing at 200 yards. I don't see why the two need to linked. Why can't an olympic archer have 11 dex and 5 skill levels?

I uderstand where you are coming from and I would never use this rule. However, I also understand why people would want to use something like this considering how seemingly omnipotent high levels of CSL's are in many games.

However, even with a CSL maximum like the one is question in place, there are several ways for your character to excell in their chosen method of attack:

Buy CSL's up to the maximum (Of course)

Buy Range PSL's up to the maximum (I'm assuming the same max as CSL's)

Buy Targeting PSL's up to the max.

Assuming your DEX-11 (Base CV-4) Olympic class Archer, thats:

4 CSL's with Archery (12pts)

4 Targeting PSL's with Archery (8pts)

4 Ranged PSL's with Archery (8pts)

With the above configuration, our Archer character can "Bullseye" a target (consider the bullseye to be -8 OCV) at 32 meters with no penalty to his base OCV! At 64 meters, he'd be at a -2. (a 10 or less to hit, or 50/50 to bullseye the target. Not bad!)

So even with the limits in place, you can still make highly effective characters, you just have to think outside the box a little...

That's a GREAT idea! I'm just going to charge 10 cents per character point. Not just for CSLs. For everything.

I know its a little off subject, but it still grots me off that to hit rolls are influenced so much by DEx, ...

Well, to reiterate what I mentioned in another stat thread, I have toyed with the idea of breaking DEX out into two stats, Coordination and Agility, which each cost 2cp/pt; the former would figure into OCV and lockpicking while the latter determined DCV, SPD, and initiative. That would grot you off a little less, I think.

The other thing to try would be to ask the GM if you could buy DEX with a limitation that it only applies to OCV. Call that a -1 limitation and you effectively get +1 OCV for every 4.5 points. It's like buying a 5pt OCV level, only you get a free point of COM!

White Wolf toyed briefly with using their Perception stat for firing guns (Corax, or were-ravens, became the most popular race for firearms users at the same time, no coincidence). I must say, I think I like that idea.

Really, there should be a buncha stats governing shooting. Perception for long range, reflexes for short range... have to work stamina in to sniper shooting somehow. Most games just can't support that kind of construct, unfortunately.

Well, to reiterate what I mentioned in another stat thread, I have toyed with the idea of breaking DEX out into two stats, Coordination and Agility, which each cost 2cp/pt; the former would figure into OCV and lockpicking while the latter determined DCV, SPD, and initiative. That would grot you off a little less, I think.

The other thing to try would be to ask the GM if you could buy DEX with a limitation that it only applies to OCV. Call that a -1 limitation and you effectively get +1 OCV for every 4.5 points. It's like buying a 5pt OCV level, only you get a free point of COM!

The solution I was toying with was making Dex cost 1 point per point. But all it affects is skills. Speed is bought up separately, CSLs are bought up separately. Everyone has a base OCV/DCV of 3, which is varied ONLY by CSLs.

I like that idea, particularly for more realistic games, where people do vary themselves between offence and defence. In most firefights, I'd expect people to take cover (for + to DCV) and still put most of their levels into DCV, leading to VERY low chances to hit. Enter grenades and tactical movement (fire and movement, perhaps?).

The solution I was toying with was making Dex cost 1 point per point. But all it affects is skills. Speed is bought up separately, CSLs are bought up separately. Everyone has a base OCV/DCV of 3, which is varied ONLY by CSLs.

I like that idea, particularly for more realistic games, where people do vary themselves between offence and defence. In most firefights, I'd expect people to take cover (for + to DCV) and still put most of their levels into DCV, leading to VERY low chances to hit. Enter grenades and tactical movement (fire and movement, perhaps?).

See my post over in the "Strength Cost: 1 point or 2" thread.

No offense, my friend... but, speaking as a hunter, if you can hit a bird on the wing at 200 yards, your reflexes are definitely NOT slow and clumsy. It's not a godly feat by any means, but slow and clumsy won't cut it.

Either that, or you have one of those nifty guns that just continuously sprays lead in the air in a cohesive stream until the bird accidentally flies into it. :D

This sort of rule forces you further down what I saw as the big problem with the old Fantasy Trip/Melee system. The only character stat that matters is DEX, no matter what else you may have. Spend two real-world hours on any fight in that system, and the guy with the highest DEX always won, every time.

Unless you have some other mechanics modifications, you're making worthless all character concepts based on anything but physical combat. If you really want no mages in your world, that's fine, but you should recognize that's what you're doing. You are compelling every character that'll see combat to buy up their DEX. For physical characters, that doesn't sound bad, because that's what they do anyway. For a character based on something else ... mentalists spring immediately to mind ... DEX becomes a really expensive ball and chain they have to sink points into in addition to the nontrivial costs of whatever powers they want to be using. We will ignore the secondary benefits that DEX gives in terms of SPD, which are also huge in their own right.

You are compelling every character that'll see combat to buy up their DEX. For physical characters' date=' that doesn't sound bad, because that's what they do anyway. For a character based on something else ... mentalists spring immediately to mind ... DEX becomes a really expensive ball and chain they have to sink points into [i']in addition to[/i] the nontrivial costs of whatever powers they want to be using.

I see your point, but the original problem that started this thread remains--what to do about the abusability of CSLs. At minimum I would ban 2pt OCV levels outright; they're too cheap, plus I'm used to playing with hit locations and critical hits. 3pt levels are okay, in moderation, but can still be abused with sheer numbers. Other types of levels are fine.

To go into my issues with 3pt levels, I'll give you an example. Cancer is DEX 20 and is OCV 7/DCV 7, for 30 points. Alibear buys DEX 11 and has 9 3pt levels with water pistol, for OCV 8/DCV 7 on the split, which seems like a small gain compared to a loss of 9 on initiative... right?

So our brave companions wade into liquid combat with Ben Seeman. Alibear's levels are all on defense until further notice. One of Ben's targets is DCV 7, while the other is DCV 13. No idiot, Ben attacks Cancer, who goes down under the Banninator's water balloon onslaught. Seeing his opportunity, Alibear puts his levels into You Die-CV, and drills Ben with an OCV 13 called shot to the face...

In other words, the real value of CSLs is in versatility. This is an extreme example and there are lots of caveats, but taken en masse, CSLs can become quite unbalancing.

In other words, the real value of CSLs is in versatility. This is an extreme example and there are lots of caveats, but taken en masse, CSLs can become quite unbalancing.

It's true - but that's what makes them worth having. Many people complain that DEX is underpriced, but the counterweight is that that's only true if you want a character who excels in *all* DEX-related aspects (if you are playing a light fighter or a rogue type you probably do - if you are playing tank-boy you probably don't).

Levels allow a partial counter to DEX in combat - they're cheaper and more flexible, but less effective overall. In games where levels were greatly restricted, everyone ended up pretty smartly at DEX 20. High CSL characters are great in duels, for example, but lousy in massed fights, whereas high DEX characters do well in either setting.

As noted, in my last FH game had a fighter-type who could generate OCV 16 :eek: - but she rarely did, because she had learned the hard way that throwing all your levels on OCV invited some 25 point punk with 6 points spent on +3 OCV, sticking a spear through your gut...

cheers, Mark

As noted, in my last FH game had a fighter-type who could generate OCV 16 :eek: - but she rarely did, because she had learned the hard way that throwing all your levels on OCV invited some 25 point punk with 6 points spent on +3 OCV, sticking a spear through your gut...

cheers, Mark

Agreed. And in response to posts above about how it's easy to buy a zillion CSL's and become unbalanced... that's what the GM audit is for. I think it's best for the GM, when character creation occurs, to take a look at the characters in relation to any NPCs and/or monster-type things that he's made, and compare maxium CV between them. If they're all in the same general range, depending on the intended power levels of the NPCs, then go with it. Otherwise, suggest some other ways to sink those 8 points.

I hate to dogpile, but I'm afriad I have to agree with the ‘Wait, you want to make Dex EVEN BETTER!?’ crowd.

Instead of that, how about only allowing, say two levels of any CSL?

That is, you can buy 2 2 point levels, 2 3 point levels, and 2 five point levels, but you can’t just buy 6 2 point levels.

I’m not sure of the details, I haven’t crunched the numbers yet. But it seems that would cut down on the ’+5 to my OCV for 10 points!’ problem.

Plus, it makes a certain amount of sense . . . first you learn the basics, but you can only get so much better at ‘the basics’ without spending time to learn the rest of the art, too. Swordsman guy is great with a sword, good with an axe, and not bad with his bare hands.

---

I’m not sure I like how 2 and 3 point skill levels interact with weapons, anyway. If you have +2 with Strike, Block, and Grab, can you use a sword for the Strike and Block maneuvers? And don’t get me started on ‘3 point knife skill levels can be used for defense if someone attacks you with a knife while you’re shooting!’ Which somehow manages to be overcomplicated and too simplistic at the same time.

This version of this post has been edited to fit your screen, and for wierd doubled-up sentences.

Actually, thinking about this more, I like it better. Which is something I often don’t get with my own ideas. :)

There’s sort of a nice symmetry to it. You can get up to 10 OCV by Dex alone, (with a 30 ‘max human’ bar) and up to +10 from skill. (20 OCV is too high, but that’s a separate problem altogether)

Plus, it answers the ‘So, how many skill levels does the best swordsman in the world have?’ question nicely. 56 points seems about right to be ‘Grand Master.’

And it only cost 4 more points to ‘master’ a related weapon (2 more 2 pt levels, assuming the 3 point ones stack) But that reaches the point of diminishing returns quickly, so most warrior types will have one or two weapons they’re best with.

Yeah, I think I like this.

---

“It is Ape Law!!â€