Limitations You Would Like to See More Often

Super Squirrel

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Limitations You Would Like to See More Often

Conditional Power: Powers Only Work If The Characters Begins The Game Session Some Place Other Than "On Patrol" or "At The Base".

Honestly though, does anyone else have this problem? Half my group have DNPCs and Secret IDs... well where the hell are they?

Conditional Power: Powers Only Work If The Characters Begins The Game Session Some Place Other Than "On Patrol" or "At The Base".

Honestly though, does anyone else have this problem? Half my group have DNPCs and Secret IDs... well where the hell are they?

We had an funny exchange with the On Patrol thing once... super speedster guy Stephan who "wants to be a superhero" and the brick Jessica who "manages to get dragged into all this despite her actual intentions"

soemthing like this:

The two of them ended up at the end of an adventure hanging out, I think Jessica wanted to bug Stephan because he was an easy target for humor.

"So, what do you do with your downtime?"

"I'm a superhero."

"Ok.. right, so day job?"

"I go on patrol!" He stated pretty confidently.

"On Patrol? What the hell is that? What does that mean?" Jessica pops his bubble. "What do you wander around the city hoping that coincidence drops you into something interesting?"

"well..."

"Seriously, you just wander randomly around the place looking for trouble?"

"Yeah. It's called Patrolling."

"You have got to be kidding me."

there was another fifteen minutes where Jessica layed into him on exactly how stupid that sounded.

I don't think Stephan ever tells Jessica when he goes on patrol anymore.

My characters almost never go 'On Patrol'. If they're going somewhere in superheroic mode, it's 'cause they have a reason to go there, such as investigating something or stopping the bad guy. If they run out of things to investigate, they might hang out and chat with other PCs/NPCs, or look into something else that's been bugging them, or check out their contacts to see what else is going down that they haven't heard about yet, or switch back to normal ID to head home and get on with their lives... but one thing they aren't going to do is go randomly look for crime. None of my PCs would waste time with such a low-percentage activity.

Conditional Power: Only works if the player spends at least some time each game session having their character do non-combat-related things of their own initiative' date=' rather than always waiting for the GM to provide them with something to do.[/quote']

Heh. That's a good one. I should've used that in the Easthaven game . . .

Actually, I kind of did. The sixth time I had to ask a player, "Okay, so what's your character DOING during those 3 days I'm skipping?" I docked experience. I warned her I was going to, and she STILL didn't answer the question. I did, eventually, get an answer, but I'm STILL unhappy with it.

I don't really qualify to answer questions in a GM thread, though, since I really only borrowed Josh's for a little while, and I'm giving it back, probably at the end of the month.

I'd settle for "Admits he's at DCV 0 when sitting on the pot taking a dump' date=' no matter the rules say about defensive manuver levels."[/quote']

Getting a player to admit they're at DCV0 is lot like moving mountains with a Tonka Truck - ain't gonna happen.

Conditional Limitation: INT only works if player keeps OOC information OOC' date=' and only acts on IC info.[/quote']

Heck, I'd take that one in an instant. I already do that... :)

Definitely one of my pet peeves.

But then again, I'm also one of those people that the Ref can count on to properly play being mind controlled into attacking the team, or having my character replaced by a doppelganger.

But then again' date=' I'm also one of those people that the Ref can count on to properly play being mind controlled into attacking the team, or having my character replaced by a doppelganger.[/quote']

This is one of those I feel I only get right about half the time. maybe a little more. Bugs me when I feel I get it wrong too... I hate that.

I'd settle for "Admits he's at DCV 0 when sitting on the pot taking a dump' date=' no matter the rules say about defensive manuver levels."[/quote']

"No, you cannot abort to pull your pants up."

How about Psych Lim: Player doesn't get defensive when the supervillain he just rudely taunted singles him out and mops the floor with him.

This is one of those I feel I only get right about half the time. maybe a little more. Bugs me when I feel I get it wrong too... I hate that.

I just always look at it like this: The whole group (players and ref) are gaming to have fun. One group, not ref vs players. The characters may be a team, and they may be fighting against some of the NPCs run by the ref, but the players are on the same side as the ref. The "everybody enjoy the game" side. (or at least they should be) So if my character gets mind controlled or replaced by a double, I do my best to play out the "new" character I'm playing, without letting on to the other players what is going on. If it comes to a fight, I fight as effectively as I should under the circumstances. If it is a massive mind control that has me totally convinced that the rest of the team are bad guys, but I still have all of my knowledge of them, I fight to the best of my abilities against them, using whatever in game knowledge my character has of their characters.

It all depends on the circumstances, but in general I just try to look at the new situation as a role playing challange. My job isn't to subtlely alert the other players what is going on with out of game knowledge. My job is to play the new situation to the best of my abilities. Which includes actively keeping the other players in the dark, if that is what the situation calls for. My character has loyalty to the team. As a player, I've got loyalty to the game.

I've no real problems with the in combat aspect of being mind controlled against my team/other players ... it's the out of combat interactions I feel I mess up more often than not. People tell me I do a good job, but I always think later "doh! I coulda done this an' this..." case of my own worst critic I think.