So...About Seeker...

Theron

Re: So...About Seeker...

I fail to see how Seekers origin is any dumber than Nightwind’s. Or significantly different, in fact.

That said, his MA build was pretty generic. But at least he wasn’t wearing a Gatchaman cosplay getup.

Anyway, you ever notice that there’s, for all practical purposes, no supercrime in Australia? Why is that? Big cities, English speaking, lots of outback to hide in, few supers, and too far away from any of ‘the big guys’ for them to get there fast . . . should be a paradise for any American supervillain who just want the money, right? So why do none of them go there?

Well, it turns out, if you dig a little deeper, they do. Captain Demon, the Red Claw, The Human Howitzer, many, many others . . . all died in unfortunate accidents shortly after arriving there.

Oz is, apparently, an unhealthy place for supervillains . . .

---

For the record, the best martial artist I’ve ever met, by a fair margin, margin, was originally from South Africa . . .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem with Seeker's origin or his appearance. Regards the latter (which seems to be subject of some negativity) you have an issue with a barechested guy in loud pantaloons yet you are happy with spandex clad cape-wearing types? :nonp:

My only gripe with original Seeker was the poor design. Grossly inefficient, lacking weapon skills and a number of other seemingly obvious skills (e.g. Seeker really need lager lout and cricket talents). A similar argument could be made for many of the example characters in 4th Edition.

I always read Seeker as an offshot of the Australian martial arts movie boom of the 1980's, an intriguing period that produced a handful of good flicks. Was I the only one who though this way?

Anyway, you ever notice that there’s, for all practical purposes, no supercrime in Australia? //snip// should be a paradise for any American supervillain who just want the money, right? So why do none of them go there?

Well, it turns out, if you dig a little deeper, they do. Captain Demon, the Red Claw, The Human Howitzer, many, many others . . . all died in unfortunate accidents shortly after arriving there.

They usually just drop a house of them. :D

Hawksmoor

Anyway, you ever notice that there’s, for all practical purposes, no supercrime in Australia? Why is that? Big cities, English speaking, lots of outback to hide in, few supers, and too far away from any of ‘the big guys’ for them to get there fast . . . should be a paradise for any American supervillain who just want the money, right? So why do none of them go there?

Drop Bears. Must be the Drop Bears.

His name was Don Morgan and he was Sydney's own best boy' date=' a cocky, athletic Australian who was one of the superstars of Aussie rules football. [/quote']

Suggestion: either change this to him being from Melbourne, or to being a superstar of Rugby League.

Aussie Rules is played in Sydney, of course, but it's a secondary game. As a result, while this origin story is possible, it's a little too obvious that it wasn't written by an Australian.

Otherwise the story is good.

However...

I thought Seeker was cool.

An Australian Ninja, thats funny.

Yes. :)

Incidentally, the way he dresses doesn't disqualify him from being a ninja. Few ninjas walk around with signs saying "hi, I'm a ninja" stuck to their foreheads. It's actually quite possible that "standard" ninja costumes owe more to the conventions of Kabuki theatre than actual historical ninjas.

And his origin, while cheesy, is plausible enough. I would let him put a shirt on, though. :)

I definitely am of the opinion that the Gardner Fox theory is true, and that Seeker actually exists in a universe parallel to the official CU. But as we know from Champions 3-D, Seeker has been known to travel between dimensions...

Suggestion: either change this to him being from Melbourne, or to being a superstar of Rugby League.

Aussie Rules is played in Sydney, of course, but it's a secondary game. As a result, while this origin story is possible, it's a little too obvious that it wasn't written by an Australian.

Otherwise the story is good.

Gotcha. Melbourne it is.

An Austrailian Ninja? Isn't that sort of like a Professional Hockey Player who comes from the Ghobe Desert?:stupid:

That's part of his charm.

Besides, his origin rationalises it well enough. It's no dafter than the Shadow's origin, or the Batman Begins version of Batman.

Would you be happier with an American Ninja?

At one local little con we had, a GM ran The Champions vs ... oh, crap, I'm going blank. Project Sunburst, that was it. Sunburst, Ray, Radium, and Armadillo. The first six people got their choice of characters among the 4E Champions, Starburst, and Crusader. We wound up with six players, and all of them chose various Champions.

The funny part was that the guy who chose Seeker misread his psychological limitation for being an 'Irreverent Wisecracker', instead making him an 'Irrelevant Wisecracker', meaning he was making jokes and quips completely unrelated to the situation at hand.

(This was also the battle where I accomplished more in defeat than most superheroes do in victory.)

Well regardless can someone please remove Seeker as one of the characters on the left hand side of the screen underneath the menu options, please. If you wait long enough, he'll pop up and six more weeks of winter!

Another thing I hated (other than Seeker) was when old Champions artwork showed Defender blasting people with energy blasts when he didn't actually have any. I think he's doing it on the cover of The Zodiac Conspiracy.

E

If you wait long enough' date=' he'll pop up and six more weeks of winter![/quote']

Well, considering the 100+ degree temperatures we're getting, I'd be happy with that. :D

Another thing I hated (...) was when old Champions artwork showed Defender blasting people with energy blasts when he didn't actually have any. I think he's doing it on the cover of The Zodiac Conspiracy.

Well, it is true that he didn't start out with any, and it is true that The Zodiac Conspiracy (1989) shows him using them; however, his Champions Universe (1992) update does give him a 15d6 EB x3 END, 14- act. (The SFX is electricity, though.) :dyn

EDIT: Though they don't give his point total, he looks to be 499 pts, if I did my math correctly.

Well' date=' considering the 100+ degree temperatures we're getting, I'd be happy with that. :D [/quote']

No kidding. When the weather guys are praising a "cold front" that brings temperatures down to the seasonal average for a day or two, it's zero fun in Tejas.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that! But that doesnt mean we cant enjoy a few days of not burning our hands on the steering wheel.

Seeker was a silly concept, but overall there was nothing in the character that couldnt let you play him as not only viable but a serious character with a sense of humor.

Besides... he might have been the only character in the Champions Universe that could have a chance of keeping up and matching wits with the "Great-And-Mighty-All-Powerful! Foxbat!!!! TM. :nonp:

I wonder if the people who are most nostalgic about Seeker are those who encountered his "ultimate" incarnation in Watchers of the Dragon? That version of Seeker showed a lot of character evolution: confidence, charm, insight, not to mention a richly detailed character sheet reflecting not only greater versatility and capability as a martial artist, but the diverse abilities picked up over years of exotic adventuring. He had grown far beyond his simplistic beginnings, to become IMHO a rounded and interesting character.

I wonder if the people who are most nostalgic about Seeker are those who encountered his "ultimate" incarnation in Watchers of the Dragon?

Not in my case. I haven't seen the WotD version.

As an Australian, my original reaction to Seeker was "what the???"

After a while I got over that, and began to appreciate the cheesiness. This was assisted, I suppose, by a bit of an implicit "stupid Americans don't know jack about anything anywhere in the world outside their own borders" attitude, which Seeker did nothing to dispel.

So, eventually, the humour became a bigger factor than the idiocy.

More to the point, of course, Seeker is actually useful in my game. After all, if you want an excuse for Australian characters being kicka** martial artists, all you really need is to say that they were trained by one of the World's Greatest Martial Artists. And obviously, that's exactly was Seeker is supposed to be.

So, yeah. I actually want Seeker to exist in the current CU. He's useful.

And funny.

So, yeah. I actually want Seeker to exist in the current CU. He's useful.

And funny.

You would think that!

Not only are you Australian, but a Swashbuckling Ninja as well!!!

[you are aware that pirates are a ninja's ultimate adversary, right?]

[you are aware that pirates are a ninja's ultimate adversary' date= right?]

Of course. And I even know Seeker's real origin:

'Don Morgan was born deep in the Australian outback. Both of this parents were killed by pirates. Don was found by Mr. Edo, an old survivor of a Japanese Army Ninja Recon Team that was shipwrecked in Australia after their ship was attacked by pirates. Mr. Edo raised Don as his own, and passed his skills on to his "son".

In the end, Mr. Edo sent Don to America to seek out and destroy pirates...'

Of course. And I even know Seeker's real origin:

'Don Morgan was born deep in the Australian outback. Both of this parents were killed by pirates. Don was found by Mr. Edo, an old survivor of a Japanese Army Ninja Recon Team that was shipwrecked in Australia after their ship was attacked by pirates. Mr. Edo raised Don as his own, and passed his skills on to his "son".

In the end, Mr. Edo sent Don to America to seek out and destroy pirates...'

Are you ready to get PUMPED?!?!?!

Man, thinking about Seeker makes me want to headbutt my dog!

In all fairness' date=' it is about time for our gaming group to compile some sort of campaign journal/world almanac from the standpoint of accuracy and consistency. With all due respect to DoJ, I find our game universe and super heroes and villains to be generally head and shoulders above those in the published sources.[/quote']

Have you considered setting up a wiki? I've been experimenting with Schtuff [http://www.schtuff.com/] lately and it's been working out fairly well.

Champions Universe's evil secret.

Night Hawk IS Seeker.

He just got tired of being made fun of, so he made a new costume..

With a beak

MAhahahahahahahahahaa

"HA HAAA" * laughs and points at Seek Hawk. Night Seek. Uh, whatever...