How to Build: Portal Punch Deflection

zippercomics

Hey guys,

Okay, so I'm building my version of the Brotherhood for an online game. As all of the players are participants on this board (or will be when it starts), I don't want to spoil any surprises by going into too much detail. But I'm stumped on something. Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

The character is a teleporter. More than that, he is actually a portal creator. And he does it quickly and reflexively. So much so that he can create a portal in front of him a split second before a punch lands, and then create an alternate portal somewhere else, to kinda "misplace" the punch. ie: brick goes to punch him in the face, and a second before impact, takes his own fist in the back of his own head.

Now, with ranged attacks, this seems pretty easy: Missile Deflection Reflection, any target. No problem. But how do you do that for hand to hand combat attacks?

My only request is it's as simple and straightforward as possible. I don't want things to get too crazy. ;)

Thanks!

Re: How to Build: Portal Punch Deflection

how about buying desolid or lots of extra dcv instead withe the special effect being him opening portals instead of dodging or attacks passing through him

something like this

portal defense: Multipower, 50-point reserve

5u 1)portal intercept: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (50 Active Points)

5u 2)rapid portal creation: Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points)

2 end

5u 3)portal shield: +10 with DCV (50 Active Points)

There's no real way to do this in Hero (What you're asking for is essentially a HTH Deflection which works like Missile Deflection). The closest you can get is using some kind of Counterstrike maneuver from Ultimate Martial Artist, which requires a successful Block maneuver followed by a counterattack.

I'd suggest just avoiding the attack with a hefty bonus to Block and/or Extra PD 'Only vs. Punches.' Otherwise you're on the road to frustration. :ugly:

It's a tough ability to duplicate precisely under Hero.

Treb and freakboy have some good concepts. I'd be inclined to place them in an EC rather than a Multipower, as the character in question has seemed capable of deflecting both ranged and HTH attacks at the same time.

The ability to retarget an opponent's attack might be better simulated by purchasing an attack mulltipower with Variable Special Effects and maybe variable advantages, which is limited to the damage and advantages of the attack he has just avoided with Missile Deflection/HTH avoidance power.

Mitchells' solution is an easy one. Another aproach is to allow the charactre to buy Reflection adders to apply to Block instead of Missile deflection. Before we add reflection, Block and Deflection work exactly the same way.

Copied from an older post of mine on the same power . . .

---

I think the ‘official’ way would be something like:

100 (100) My Name Is Riekianzie, Vampire Hunter, And Killing Men Like You Is My Greatest Pleasure! Variable Power Pool, 100 point base

60 (150) MNIRVH,AMLYIMGP! Pool Control Cost, Zero Phase Action To Change (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1), Trigger: When A HTH Attack Is Blocked, No Time, Resets Automatically (+1), Only To Mimic Melee Attacks Blocked That Phase (-1 1/2)

That’ll let you mimic up to 50 active points of an attack thrown at you. (You need the other 50 pts to make up the Triggers +1 cost) You might be able to squeeze in some other pool disads . . . I don’t use pools if I can possibly help it, so I’m not that familiar with them.

AND it fits on the character sheet. :)

I loathe that use of ‘Trigger.’ Another alternative would be tacking an extra advantage on Damage Shield to let it work with Block. The +3/4 total for ‘maneuver other than grab’ is too little. +1 to +1 ½ sounds about right.

I’d probably just say to hell with it and allow ‘Usable Against Melee Attacks’ as a +2 advantage on missile Reflection.

---

Missile Deflection could use a top-down rebuild, to be honest.

Ok, it's big but how About:

Deflection Portal: Stretching 6", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Whenever the Block Maneuver is Used; +1); No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

127 Active Points; 85 Real